spc
uniqs
kelemvor
join:2005-09-01
Sussex, WI

kelemvor to shawnunder7

to shawnunder7

Re: [TWC] New Modem Lease Fee NYC

Is there a list of "budget" modems that will work with my Roadrunner service? I don't need wireless, don't use Cable TV, don't use their phone servers... Looking for something I can pick up from Amazon or whatever. I've heard people mention $20-$30 modems that work fine but don't know if there's any downside to that. Just don't want to waste time ordering something that ends up not working.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Technically, any DOCSIS2 or DOCSIS3 modem will work. TWC has an "approved" list, which only features expensive DOCSIS3 modems (in addition to D2 modems). They should activate any modem (per FCC), but I don't know that they will.

If you don't have one of their wideband tiers, you can purchase an SB5101 from eBay for around $20-30 and use it no problem. It will be using last generation technology, though, so if congestion worsens in the future, you may see your speeds decrease.
kelemvor
join:2005-09-01
Sussex, WI

kelemvor

Yeah, I noticed the only ones they listed were expensive. I assume this was to try to make people not want to buy one and just keep shelling out more money every month. I'll see what I can find on ebay or newegg or something.
Thanks.