sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

1 recommendation

sk1939 to rchandra

Premium Member

to rchandra

Re: I admire the tenacity to even bother.

The only issue with that though is that there will still be downtime unless you have the backup site designated as a hot-standby or is always online as a failover since BGP is notoriously slow to update routes (important for the internet).

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
ARRIS ONT1000GJ4
EnGenius EAP1250

rchandra

Premium Member

Oh sure. There's almost always going to be some downtime. But hopefully it can be measured in seconds or minutes as compared to days or weeks for something like a (utility) power outage. It all depends on the engineering chosen.

BTW, thanks for that. I knew of the technology (BGP), but I have no practical experience in having to reroute traffic.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

1 edit

sk1939

Premium Member

said by rchandra:

Oh sure. There's almost always going to be some downtime. But hopefully it can be measured in seconds or minutes as compared to days or weeks for something like a (utility) power outage. It all depends on the engineering chosen.

BTW, thanks for that. I knew of the technology (BGP), but I have no practical experience in having to reroute traffic.

No problem. For BGP failover it depends on the peers (have to match timing) and varies depending on provider. BGP still fails-over in a matter of minutes though for the most part (Cisco's default timer is 3 minutes I believe), but is still slower than say EIGRP or OSPF which is almost instantaneous. A lot of organizations also run BGP internally if they have a large enough network.

Edit: »www.enterprisenetworking ··· ting.htm

»www.petri.co.il/csc_what ··· _bgp.htm