Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to boondockEVDO

Re: EVDO Only Mode via Watcher -- 1X/EVDO conflicting data?

said by boondockEVDO:

Finally stumbled upon some new information that may explain my multiple PN. Unfortunately I am not sure what to do about this or if it will effect me.

There are 3 sprint towers all inline with each other pretty much from my position; here is a graphic of it :

»i.imgur.com/CwwFV.jpg

The parabolic grid antenna can pick up signal from 10 miles or more right? If the beam intercepts multiple towers in a line will it take from the first signal encountered?

I am worried I may be shooting through all three of the towers and occasionally switching between all three.

Any suggestions?

If that is indeed your situation you need way less antenna.

boondockEVDO

join:2012-09-25
USA
doh, past the return date on my parabolic grid -- ah well was only 45 bucks.

Any suggestions on an antenna that won't transmit as far but will still be good enough to make it through some dense forrest?

These were unlisted sprint towers that I didn't manage to find until I searched through the actual tower builder's site.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
Click for full size
Click for full size
I have the same problem at times. Depends a lot on the atmosphere.

Notice the top image I was on my primary PN (396) it then went to multiple PN's all active and causing a disconnect.

Dexter1992

join:2010-07-16
Winona, MN
Jack what version of Smartview are you using, as I can not duplicate that screen? For instance my packet error rate value gives me a number not a percent. Also I had a similar issue with PNs, for me, can't remember the numbers but I was picking up one to two PNs. When I was using 1 PN my speed was great, and the other it was not that great. I had my grid aimed a bit slanted upwards, instead I just made it 100% straight, seemed to fix the issue. 1.9Ghz panel antenna may have been the better choice for both of us.

Also, sometimes through some updates Evdo-Only Mode gets turned off when the modem resets.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Dexter I'm using an old Franklin 680-U. This debug screen is in the onboard software. As you can see the multiple PN's are a problem.

boondockEVDO

join:2012-09-25
USA
reply to Dexter1992
I am considering trying to get ahold of one of those CDU modems, I like that listing of PN. Does anyone know of a third party software that would list PN for a 598?

I've found that EVDO-Only mode from Wireless Watcher actually hurts my signal very badly. Only during 1 day out of the 5-6 that I've been using it has it actually helped my signal.

I also slightly slanted my para grid ant, I will try remounting it properly and see if that helps any.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Shoot Jim_in_VA a IM. I'm sure he can help you out.