spc
Search similar:

uniqs
madoc
join:2002-10-19
Cornwall, ON

madoc

Pre-Sales Questions

Thinking of switching from cogceco. I've gone through the forums and called tech support but I'm iffy on the answer I recieved to one question and I have a second I never asked.

1) How many external IP's do you get? Cogeco gives me 3, I only need 2
- I called sales and a very nice woman told me you get one assigned to the modem. This makes me think the modem acts as the router and hands out internal ips. Is it possible to get the modem into...been awhile since I played with this but I think it was called passthrough mode so that my internal routers can get extern ips. Since the web page is very...user friendly I figured maby the service wasnt meant for more advanced setup. But digging through the forums here I heard people mentioning using their ddwrt routers. If they can't get an external, why would they use those, unless their natting a nat and if so...eww.

Q) Why the hang do you NEED 2 external ips?
A) Its a work thing, cisco ASA vpn tunnel to work and it hates being behind anything. I also use a managed switch to vlan so that I have 3 networks,
- outside (modem,asa,freebsd box)
- work - my work equipment, asa is router
- Home - everything else, freebsd box is router

2) Since start dosnt have phone I'm going to have to keep the cogeco one, so what, I just put an rg6 splitter on it and end up keeping the cogeo modem?
madoc

madoc

Please ignore the assholish sig, its from 10 years ago, forgot it was even there.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to madoc

Premium Member

to madoc
It's the same with us, ie will be up to 3. Our support group will only provide support for a single IP setup (either direct or router) but it doesn't sound like that will be an issue for you.
madoc
join:2002-10-19
Cornwall, ON

madoc

Awsome. Thank you, I'll call tommorow and get setup!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Great, looking forward to having you with us. Thanks!