join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone

Re: [Serious] Statists, be proud! re: Ashley Smith

said by Gone:

said by urbanriot:

Well I get that you're emotional about every thread but it's becoming tiresome and disruptive.

To which, as I've said in the past, what you think is something that I genuinely have no concern or worry for. Your opinion is not something I am at all concerned about.

... then why do you go out of your way to respond? You clearly have some kind of agitation, concern or worry, otherwise you'd have simply ignored my post.

Heck, most recently you ignored everything I wrote concerning the topic and specifically focused on... you. Maybe that's the problem here.

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade

said by urbanriot:

said by Gone:

said by urbanriot:

Well I get that you're emotional about every thread but it's becoming tiresome and disruptive.

To which, as I've said in the past, what you think is something that I genuinely have no concern or worry for. Your opinion is not something I am at all concerned about.

... then why do you go out of your way to respond? You clearly have some kind of agitation, concern or worry, otherwise you'd have simply ignored my post.

Heck, most recently you ignored everything I wrote concerning the topic and specifically focused on... you. Maybe that's the problem here.

Obviously Gone See Profile's feelings on this subject have personal connections and are charged with some emotion. Not always can we look at all situations with complete irreverence; sometimes it hits close to home, the words don't come out just right, and it's just not the time to turn it into personal attackfest. Pay the kindness forward; you might be surprised what happens.
said by urbanriot:

You compared this woman's suicide with the suicide of a young girl that was bullied, yet the quotes above suggest this woman is an inmate who will be injected with anti-psychotic drugs.

The bolded words illustrate how I can't immediately agree with such a comparison, as this woman was guilty of something... psychotic? Did she murder a family? Murder children?

If she's guilty of a heinous act, it most certainly affects where this lands on my care meter. If she's an innocent person then I'd obviously care more.

In summary, innocence is contextual to how I feel about this woman's treatment and as far as I'm concerned, all criminals are not equal. (I'm sure DKS and I do not agree on that topic)

Amanda Todd's death was a tragedy, just like Ashley Smith's. A person does not need to be treated like that while in custody. One can clearly see she was restrained beyond what is necessary and treated inhumanely.

She didn't murder a family. She threw crabapples at a mailman and trespassed. Most of her problems were from her being locked up in adult jail since 2006, where she routinely tried to injure herself and others. She had an array of personality disorders.

Do you believe that you are born good or evil, urbanriot See Profile?

I laffed
@videotron.ca

I laffed

Anon

said by Last Parade:

She threw crabapples at a mailman and trespassed.

LOL who hasn't done worse as a kid? I've done 10x worse than that. Multi-times.

The whole reason she was locked up is pathetic.

Funny how even the doctors involved in Ontario are fighting this inquiry into their role in all this.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

said by I laffed :

said by Last Parade:

Funny how even the doctors involved in Ontario are fighting this inquiry into their role in all this.

Can we really blame the guard as I doubt they receive training in how to cope with people like Ashley. Prison guards should be contending with criminals and not people like Ashley. She belonged in an hospital.

Last Parade
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade

said by vue666:

said by I laffed :

said by Last Parade:

Can we really blame the guard as I doubt they receive training in how to cope with people like Ashley. Prison guards should be contending with criminals and not people like Ashley. She belonged in an hospital.

What if you could trace the behaviour of a 'criminal' (as you say) back to their upbringing? Are they still as guilty?

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
said by vue666:

While I see where you're going with this, at the same time I also think that basic human decency should prevent anyone - including prison guards - from allowing a young woman to sit in her own shit on a plane despite that woman *begging* to use the washroom.

Or, worse yet, for an entire group of them to stand by and do nothing while she kills herself. This should throw up a *lot* of red flags on this whole situation in of itself.

I am of the belief that they should be held just as accountable for their actions in this situation as anyone else involved. For what it's worth, there were people involved in her case who desperately tried to sort things out, but were either prevented or simply were incapable of doing so. The ones who could do something but didn't? Throw them to the wolves.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned) to Last Parade

to Last Parade
said by Last Parade:

What if you could trace the behaviour of a 'criminal' (as you say) back to their upbringing? Are they still as guilty?

That's a very complex question. I suspect each situation would be unique onto themselves and would have to be judged individually. What was the crime (murder, rape, shop lifting, car jacking, etc), how much control did they have over their plight, what where their options, etc...

That said I think the nature of this topic deserves our respect and let's not hijack into something else... Sorry not accusing you or implying that was your intent but it can happen quite innocently...
vue666

vue666 (banned) to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

While I see where you're going with this, at the same time I also think that basic human decency should prevent anyone - including prison guards - from allowing a young woman to sit in her own shit on a plane despite that woman *begging* to use the washroom.

I can not argue with that. Great point...on the human decency...

I hope something good comes of this very bad incident and future incidents like this are minimized or hopefully never happen again...

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by vue666:

I hope something good comes of this very bad incident and future incidents like this are minimized or hopefully never happen again...

For once vue, we are in complete and total agreement.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

said by Gone:

said by vue666:

I think we've been in agreement before. ie: gun control..

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by vue666:

I think we've been in agreement before. ie: gun control..

Let's not ruin a good thing.

Last Parade
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by vue666:

Try not to let this happen too often.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

said by Last Parade:

said by Gone:

said by vue666:

Try not to let this happen too often.

Sometimes a topic is too serious and deserves sincere and honest attention. And we must cast aside the paradigm of political allegiance and abandon the "left vs right" dogma. Do what is right for society...

This is not a topic of personal preference where we can debate which car is better, who will win the Stanley Cup. This is a topic in which personal opinions must be put on the shelf, a topic of a very serious nature that warrants respect & sincerity...

We do not know what the future holds for any of us. It is quite possible anyone of us could be in a position like Ashely be it us personally, a loved one, a relative, a friend and we will require help...

When someone is down you offer them an helping hand and not a kick in the head...

Last Parade
Port Colborne, ON

1 recommendation

Last Parade

said by vue666:

Sometimes a topic is too serious and deserves sincere and honest attention. And we must cast aside the paradigm of political allegiance and abandon the "left vs right" dogma. Do what is right for society...

This is not a topic of personal preference where we can debate which car is better, who will win the Stanley Cup. This is a topic in which personal opinions must be put on the shelf, a topic of a very serious nature that warrants respect & sincerity...

We do not know what the future holds for any of us. It is quite possible anyone of us could be in a position like Ashely be it us personally, a loved one, a relative, a friend and we will require help...

When someone is down you offer them an helping hand and not a kick in the head...

Yeah I was joking.