dslreports logo
site
 
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer




how-to block ads


Search Topic:
uniqs
1
share rss forum feed


lugnut

@look.ca
reply to SparkChaser

Re: Difluoroethane gas duster - oops, I fried a UPS!

said by SparkChaser:

said by lugnut :

The way those transistors blew open another possible theory comes to mind. Judging by the heatsinking and the size of the transistors those puppies run with an internal temperature about 100C. It's possible that the refrigerant effect of the canned air simply caused thermal contraction and the stress blew apart the transistors.

Either way, sudden temperature shocks are definitely not conducive to the well being of your electronic components.

I've used a fair amount of freeze spray over the years and never saw that happen, not saying it can't happen.

Drop an ice cube into a pot of boiling water and watch what happens

Anyway, either one is a possible theory, either condensation shorting out or thermal stress blowing up, but judging by the appearance of those MOSFETS I'd have to say they literally exploded on contact.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:2
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

said by lugnut :

but judging by the appearance of those MOSFETS I'd have to say they literally exploded on contact.

The damage to the MOSFETs was due to arcing. The arcing continued until I pulled the battery connector.

They didn't go "pop". It started with a sizzle, a puff of smoke, followed by arcs and sparks.


lugnut

@look.ca

In the immortal words of Emily Litella, (AKA Gilda Radner); "Never mind..."


public

join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA
reply to TheMG

said by TheMG:

The damage to the MOSFETs was due to arcing. The arcing continued until I pulled the battery connector.

They didn't go "pop". It started with a sizzle, a puff of smoke, followed by arcs and sparks.

It is classic sustained ovecurrent damage where the die melts and the source lead separates.
When the current is somewhat limited it can take several seconds, and often results in a fire.