Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

yami

join:2011-07-25
Lake Worth, FL

[Connection Sharing] Bandwidth leak from network: 1 router, 1 AT

Hi my dear geek friends

I have an ATA (linksys pap2t) connected to a simple wired router. There is no pc or any other device in network (in fact router to switch to ata).

I access ata's setting remotely using DynDNS set in router.

DynDNS TTL (updating dynamic wan ip) is set to every 4 hours and ata's sip register is every 120 seconds.

Not using voip phone connected to ata, my network uses average 500kb to 1mb of bandwidth traffic an hour.

I believe DynDNS and ata's sip register should Not be this much and may use few kb an hour.

Do you have any idea that how can I reduce this bandwidth traffic?? I know that 1mb an hour looks ridiculous but my network is in remote, somewhere that I pay lots of money per mb of usage and my plan is only 1gb per month. This way I will end up using my monthly bandwidth without actually talking on phone!!!!

Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4
Reviews:
·VOIPO

Re: [Connection Sharing] Bandwidth leak from network: 1 router,

I do SIP registration about once a minute and, looking at the packet sizes for this and related, this comes out to about 220KB an hour—so there’s no way you’re only going to see a “few kb an hour.” Expanding upon that, this means I use about 155MB a month in SIP registrations alone. If we add phone calls, at 80Kbps, a one-hour phone call will use about 35MB—so I’d have about 1440 minutes a month if I had a 1GB plan.

The only way to reduce this would be to do SIP registration over TCP, if possible. This should require SIP registrations less often and save some bandwidth—and, also if possible, you could use a codec that uses less than 80Kbps and double or triple your minutes.

Hope this helps.

yami

join:2011-07-25
Lake Worth, FL

Thanx Bink,

I use codec G729a and thats really ok.

My only concern it uses almost 1mb an hour which 24 hours a day times 30 days a month, becomes almost 750 mb just for sip registration from my 1000 mb of monthly bandwidth

I did not understand how to do sip registration over tcp. I use callcentric if it matters.

Other guys say DynDNS updates, once every 4 hours does not take that much too

Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4
Reviews:
·VOIPO

I can't imagine why you'd be doing 750MB in SIP registrations a month. Something else seems to be using your bandwidth and if your router has a method for displaying the sessions/traffic flowing through it (NetFlow would be ideal), you should definitely review this.

bdnhsv

join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL
reply to yami

connect a pc to the network and use a packet sniffer (wireshark is my favorite) to see what is actually passing traffic in your network.

cablegeek01

join:2003-05-13
USA
kudos:1

said by bdnhsv:

connect a pc to the network and use a packet sniffer (wireshark is my favorite) to see what is actually passing traffic in your network.

Yep, you'll also need to expect "normal" network maintenance traffic such as ARP, DHCP, and DNS/SNMP queries and announcements. Some networks (cable for instance) are quite chatty when it comes to ARP, with a lot of broadcast traffic in the downstream.