dslreports logo
site
 
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer




how-to block ads


Search Topic:
uniqs
8
share rss forum feed

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to lugnut

Re: Difluoroethane gas duster - oops, I fried a UPS!

said by lugnut :

but judging by the appearance of those MOSFETS I'd have to say they literally exploded on contact.

The damage to the MOSFETs was due to arcing. The arcing continued until I pulled the battery connector.

They didn't go "pop". It started with a sizzle, a puff of smoke, followed by arcs and sparks.


lugnut

@look.ca
In the immortal words of Emily Litella, (AKA Gilda Radner); "Never mind..."

public

join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA
reply to TheMG
said by TheMG:

The damage to the MOSFETs was due to arcing. The arcing continued until I pulled the battery connector.

They didn't go "pop". It started with a sizzle, a puff of smoke, followed by arcs and sparks.

It is classic sustained ovecurrent damage where the die melts and the source lead separates.
When the current is somewhat limited it can take several seconds, and often results in a fire.