digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
kudos:2

1 recommendation

[WIN8] Get the Start Menu Back Without an App

By adding the desktop toolbar to the taskbar. It adds all your desktop shortcuts plus a few system ones.

That, and right clicking on the mini Start screen on the bottom left of the desktop provides just about all the links a power user needs.
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13

Useful solution. Thanks

Cudni

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

1 recommendation

reply to digitalfutur

Great idea but why not carry this a step further. Create a Start menu exactly as you would like it. I don't have all day to navigate the new all programs screen. I'd like a shutdown shortcut, printers shortcut, etc.
To do this I just created a folder on my desktop called START. Add shortcuts into that folder that perform the functions you used to have on the start menu. Create a toolbar with that START folder as the source and move it to the left of your taskbar. each item might be a little tricky for the novice... but I'll give instructions for creating the All programs shortcut. Right click inside the START folder you have created and select new-shortcut. Browse to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\ and add programs to shortcut. Then you get a nice concise list of your programs that doesn't need the real estate to display the new All Programs screen, which I find worthless. This displays the all-users program list which for most should be pretty complete.

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to digitalfutur

Just install Classic Shell and you don't need to jump through a bunch of hoops. The Start button just shows up.

Better yet don't buy or install Windows 8. That is one way to let MS know you are not in favor of the new UI on traditional computers. And maybe they will Re-Think this totally stupid UI for a Real Computer.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
reply to digitalfutur

Good hint. Thank you!

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to digitalfutur

Start8 ($4.99)

Start Menu X (free)

Edit: corrected link.
--
Gladiator Security Forum: www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to digitalfutur

I suppose it's useful for Windows 8... but it's damn ugly.
Makes me happy to remain with XP32 and Win7 x64.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Shootist

said by Shootist:

Just install Classic Shell and you don't need to jump through a bunch of hoops. The Start button just shows up.

Better yet don't buy or install Windows 8. That is one way to let MS know you are not in favor of the new UI on traditional computers. And maybe they will Re-Think this totally stupid UI for a Real Computer.

You have to get the OEMs to cooperate to avoid Win 8. So far, they are not doing so ...even to the point of cancelling an order for Win 7 Pro saying the chosen video card no longer exists...but you can get it on the same computer with Windows 8. You want Win 7 then tough...you have no choice in video card and no choice to get nVidia instead of ATI.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to digitalfutur

For those who wants to "boot directly to desktop". Try this, go to task scheduler and add basic task to run at logon - C:\Windows\Explorer.exe. It seems "dirty" way to do it as it will load an explorer window with libraries.

I will not use this trick because I don't have that perception of some of you that wants to boot directly to desktop but I did tested it.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
Reviews:
·Power-Net Intern..

1 recommendation

reply to chachazz

said by chachazz:

Start8 ($4.99)

Start Menu X (free)

»www.stardock.com/products/start8···ures.asp
Subtracted a period.
--
Whoever said that ignorance is bliss wasn't refering to a person with a computer at his fingertips!

Cure Disease with your computer

chachazz
Premium
Reviews:
·TELUS

Thanks for 'good' link, rfhar See Profile.
Corrected the link in the post

chachazz
Premium
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to digitalfutur

Some others:

StartIsBack

StartMenu8

(Downloaded but not tested yet.)
--
Gladiator Security Forum: www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to rfhar

I like Stardock stuff. That looks good...except it is Win 7 style...I want XP start menu style on Win 8 but I suppose that is asking too much! I'l try it and maybe the others listed in this thread when I get my new machine in about 10 days.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi
reply to digitalfutur

There is a free one Win XP stile, stand by or search this site. Some kind soul will surely post it here.

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4

said by rfhar:

There is a free one Win XP stile, stand by or search this site. Some kind soul will surely post it here.

This ? »classicshell.sourceforge.net/

I'm using it routinely on W7 and it looks to be Wai8 compatible too.
Expand your moderator at work

HFB1217
The Wizard
Premium,ExMod 2000-01
join:2000-06-26
Camelot

1 edit
reply to digitalfutur

Re: [WIN8] Get the Start Menu Back Without an App

Off Topic Sorry
--
*****aka The WIZARD *****A Founding member of Seti BBR Team Starfire***

Kramer
Premium,Mod
Richmond, VA
reply to digitalfutur

Please read the original post again everyone.

This thread is discussing the creation of start menu alternatives by not going outside of the Microsoft operating system. The discussion of third party apps to do the same, is off topic for this thread. Normally it would be off-topic for the forum, but since WIN8 is so new at least at this early stage, I have no problem with discussing them in this forum as a general solution. Please keep detailed discussion of their use in the Software Forum. Thanks

Expand your moderator at work

Kramer
Premium,Mod
Richmond, VA
reply to digitalfutur

Re: [WIN8] Get the Start Menu Back Without an App

My reconstruction of the classic start menu has been going well, but one command has me stumped and I wonder if anyone knows how to fix this. I wish to create a shortcut to the run dialog. Google came up with rundll32.exe shell32.dll,#61 and that actually works but look at the window. Something isn't right! Any suggestions?

RazzyW8

@rr.com

I see there's a run shortcut already, it looks to be in:

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools

Kramer
Premium,Mod
Richmond, VA

Many thanks. That works perfectly. I wasn't able to find it in the path you mentioned but was able to find it in \Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools

Thanks again

RazzyW8

@rr.com

NP! I found the Run in All apps of start screen. If you right click one of them and click on "Open File Location", it'll open up explorer with a bunch of shortcuts.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
Richmond, VA

What's the "Start Screen"? Just kidding. Thanks, that helps. It gave me some ideas for items I wasn't originally going to include.

floydb1982

join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA
reply to digitalfutur

How did you do that??? Is the start menu hidden from the desktop or something??? Didn't Microsoft do away with the start menu in the desktop??? I am not seeing any start menu in the desktop at all.

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
Houston, TX

said by floydb1982:

How did you do that??? ... I am not seeing any start menu in the desktop at all.

said by digitalfutur:

By adding the desktop toolbar to the taskbar.

floydb1982

join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

SipSizzurp how do you do that???

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
Houston, TX

I don't have my W8 setup running anymore. Try right clicking on the taskbar to see if you find the option to add a toolbar. If not I'm sure the OP will clarify.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON

That's correct. Right click on the taskbar (make sure it's unlocked), expand the toolbar menu, then select "Desktop".