All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Drift_91
join:2009-02-11
Perth, ON

Drift_91 to X10A

to X10A

Re: When will Tay Valley TWP have FttN? Or WISP alternatives?

said by X10A:

nobody other then bell itself knows about service expansion. It is unlikely you will find out...

So you don't think Bell would tell me if I tried contacting them directly?
said by X10A:

If you are only having problem when your mother is streaming CTV perhaps you can look at getting a second bell internet line.... or even better look at MLPPP option from Acanac or Teksavvy(and many other provider). Bonding lines may double your speed, obviously the cost will be doubled.

I wasn't aware I could have more than one DSL signal coming in on one phoneline. I'll have a look at those providers. I was thinking of getting cable from Teksavvy until I found out they don't serve my area. They, and my current provider are the only ones I know that provide a sufficient usage cap for a reasonable price. I download and upload about 100GB each month.

Also it's not just when my mother's using the internet. With my current speeds I just barely manage. I can play most online games with slightly hampered performance. However I can not livestream online games for my friends to watch, because I simply don't have the upload throughput. Although a major inconvenience, not an absolute killer. However when my mother is doing anything on the internet, even with her speed capped at 1mbps by the router, it causes most Shooter games to perform extremely poorly.
said by X10A:

I am not local so I can't comment on the WISP portion.. but I assume WISP can be costly and not exactly the best solution for gaming?

WISP would be a last resort for me, as I'm already unhappy with the latency and jitter on my DSL connection. However I really do need an improvement in speed more so than latency.

Canaca
Premium Member
join:2007-03-05
Mississauga, ON

1 edit

Canaca

Premium Member

It would not be on the same phone line. Normally a second line in the form of a dry loop would need to be installed.

Drift_91
Perth, ON

Drift_91

said by Canaca:

It would not be on the same phone line. Normally a second line in the form of a dry loop would need to installed.

Bell recently rewired the entire house from phone jack to demarcation point. The tech also installed a POTS splitter (DSL filter). Would it be safe to assume I already have all the required wiring for 3 dry loops + one phone line? Also, to set up the 4 modems, would a traditional phone line splitter from an electronics store work to attach all 4 modems to the same jack?

I'm also confused about how many dry loops I need. Would it be Bell's DSL speed cap multiplied by the desired speed minus the phoneline? Or are the dry loops all capped at 5Mbps? I guess to simplify that, does the 15Mbps service strictly require three DSL lines?

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

said by Drift_91:

said by Canaca:

It would not be on the same phone line. Normally a second line in the form of a dry loop would need to installed.

Bell recently rewired the entire house from phone jack to demarcation point. The tech also installed a POTS splitter (DSL filter). Would it be safe to assume I already have all the required wiring for 3 dry loops + one phone line? Also, to set up the 4 modems, would a traditional phone line splitter from an electronics store work to attach all 4 modems to the same jack?

I'm also confused about how many dry loops I need. Would it be Bell's DSL speed cap multiplied by the desired speed minus the phoneline? Or are the dry loops all capped at 5Mbps? I guess to simplify that, does the 15Mbps service strictly require three DSL lines?

Most likely not. They normally run the extra lines to the demarc only. It would then be your responsibility to run them to your modems.

Let's assume you want 15Mbps. ( really only 12Mbps because of the PPPOE overhead)

You would attach one of the connections to your current phone line. (Saves you $8 on the dry loop)

You would then add an extra 2 dry loops. Finally you would MLPPP all three for a total of 12Mbps.

I should add that the assumptions above assumes all of your lines sync at 5Mbps.

Drift_91
Perth, ON

Drift_91

said by Canaca:

I should add that the assumptions above assumes all of your lines sync at 5Mbps.

They sync at 5Mbps down and 512Kbps up. So I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to get the full advertised upload speed on some of your services?

Canaca
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Canaca

Premium Member

That is correct. You would only get about 1.2Mbps upload.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to Canaca

to Canaca
said by Canaca:

Let's assume you want 15Mbps. ( really only 12Mbps because of the PPPOE overhead)

PPPoE overhead is minimal - the problem is the ATM overhead on the ADSL line, which accounts for roughly 15%.

PPPoE is only 8 bytes in 1500, which is less than 1%.

People, particularly those who should know, need to stop spreading misinformation about PPPoE.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to Drift_91

to Drift_91
said by Drift_91:

said by X10A:

nobody other then bell itself knows about service expansion. It is unlikely you will find out...

So you don't think Bell would tell me if I tried contacting them directly?

Highly unlikely. Or at least highly unlikely that you could get an answer that was accurate. Plenty of stories of people calling Bell with questions like that and being told 6 months, a year, whatever - and being given that same answer for years on end.

Semaphore
Premium Member
join:2003-11-18

Semaphore to Drift_91

Premium Member

to Drift_91
Bonded DSL is diminishing returns vs. # of lines in my exp. And with poor quality lines you might loose the main line on the Multilink and it all goes to pot quick. As far as I know there's no control over which line is the main line in the bundle. When we set up Multilink bundles for customers we won't do more than 4 lines in a bundle. It's just not worth it and becomes too unstable IMHO. I have one customer who has 4 bundles of 4 lines at 6Mbps per line. When Aggregated they can see 60 to 70 Mbps down.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Fibe is mostly a Fib ... It's just a marketing name Bell uses for their broadband service. In some (very few) places it's FTTH; in many urban places it's FTTN; in other places it's standard CO based DSL with connections (like any other CO) to the Bell fibre based network.

Since there are huge portions of major urban places that still don't have FTTN (like Ottawa), it's highly unlikely that Bell's going to get FTTN to more rural locales like Perth.

And they certainly won't tell the whole truth and probably "fib"

Where I live, I've been here for 12 years. From day 1 Bell has said DSL is going to be available soon here. Well, 12 years later, and Bell still says "soon". And this is a semi-urban area within the city of Ottawa. They keep offering me rural wireless internet service without realizing that their service is so sketchy here, just like cell service, that it won't work!

Semaphore
Premium Member
join:2003-11-18

Semaphore

Premium Member

But that can't Be!! After all they call it "fiber optic Internet" on all those commercials... They also tell me that they have the "Fastest Uploads and the Fastest Downloads at the best Prices of any provider" on the radio and the TV. This must be true. Bell would never fib. We should all trust them implicitly.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Well, it IS fibre optic internet (somewhere ... just not necessarily between your house and the CO!)

Drift_91
Perth, ON

Drift_91 to Canaca

to Canaca
If I wanted to get my own modem and router, what would I need? Can I just use any ADSL2+ modems and any load balancing router?

Btw I managed to get my ISP to ask bell to reprofile the line. I'm now syncing at 5Mbps and 800Kbps. I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to get the business 24M service right?