spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ksman

join:2010-10-28

Static on Phone when it rains

I've had this issue for a while but have finally decided it needs to be addressed. We have CDV and usually our phone line is clear but whenever it rains and after my sprinklers run there is static on the line. The heavier it rains the worse the static will get and during torrential rains the line will become pretty much unusable. Typically a few hours after it stops (when things dry out) the static will go away.

Now if I plug my phone directly into the modem the static goes away (even if I have static at the same time when going through a home jack). I know this is indicative of an issue with my in-home wiring, but I don't really understand how that is possible given that it is like clock work in being related to wetness outside the house. Is it possible that the moisture outside degrades the signal which only becomes apparent when the phone signal is disbursed through my many home phone jacks?

If anybody could give me a clue with respect towards what I can do to try and get this resolved I'd appreciate it. I haven't had much luck with Comcast as they immediately describe this as an in-home wiring issue and it ends there.

Thanks.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
Outside you have a NID (or at least a connection point where your inside wiring was designed to connect to the telco). I'd start my search for this problem there.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

ksman

2 edits
said by djrobx:

Outside you have a NID (or at least a connection point where your inside wiring was designed to connect to the telco). I'd start my search for this problem there.

I've never noticed anything but I'll take another look tomorrow. Is it possible this is located high on a pole in the backyard? I remember Comcast had to run a coax underground from the pole to my house when I first moved in. What should this look like?

Thanks for the help.

---Edit---
I found a picture here. I've never noticed something like this on my house but I'll take a look. It was new construction so I don't know if they stopped putting these on with newer homes.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
Here's an example of a NID, sometimes referred to as the MPOE. I had a similar problem years ago at my old house. During heavy rain (or exterior wall pressure washing), the phone lines would have static and dialup was flaky. Opening the NID and drying it with a hair dryer quickly resolved the issue, along with better weathersealing.
--
KI6RIT

trythisfirst

@comcastbusiness.net
reply to ksman
Iv you had comcast for phone since the house was built there will be no nid. You may in that case however, have a blue or grey wire coming out of the house near the comcast plastic house box. make sure the end is not exposed to weather.

ksman

reply to n_w95482
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by n_w95482:

Here's an example of a NID, sometimes referred to as the MPOE. I had a similar problem years ago at my old house. During heavy rain (or exterior wall pressure washing), the phone lines would have static and dialup was flaky. Opening the NID and drying it with a hair dryer quickly resolved the issue, along with better weathersealing.

I think this is my problem. I took a couple of pictures and you can see the two coax cables are connected via a splitter type device. I wonder if when this gets wet we are getting the static. The blue cat5 cable isn't connected to anything here.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
CDV is all digital. You're getting static because your in-home twisted pair phone line is shorting when it gets wet. It has nothing to do with the comcast coax. To assure yourself of this, soak the coax with a hose and verify no static.

Then soak the "cat5 that isn't connected to anything" and you'll hear static (I would guess.)
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

ksman

That makes sense. The cat5 must be getting wet and that is causing the static through the rest of my wiring. I'll try covering up the cat5 and see if that helps things.

trythisfirst

@comcast.net
If it has gotten wet it may be better to pull it into the house and remove it. I know it is a pain but water will soak into that wire possibly causing issues in the future. Pulling a new line in the future should not be too hard if the backside of that is accessible.