Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

2 edits
reply to Kieran66

Re: [Modem] Port Forwarding doesn't work even with bridged modem

said by Kieran66:

Yes, I have the WNR2000's DMZ set to my comp's static IP, and the first application cannot be connected to from the internet. I have a couple of arbitrary ports set up to see if I can successfully test any of them, but so far all of them appear closed. The program is set to pass through the firewall, but that shouldn't matter as I turned the wirewall OFF to test it. Did I understand your question correctly?

If your question was directed to me (you actually replied to yourself), then yes, you answered my question.

My next question is when you look at the "Router Status" page, does the router show that you are getting a public IP address from AT&T? I seem to recall seeing a warning from AT&T that they were going to start using the 10.0.0.0/8 subnet for WAN IP addresses, and put all non-static IP customers on "carrier grade" NAT. Perhaps that practice has already started in your area? It is your use of the 10.0.0.0 subnet on your LAN that reminded me of that warning.

Here is a link to an article on this site discussing that: »AT&T Warns U-Verse Users of Service Disruption

While the warning implies that only U-verse customers will be effected, that does not mean that AT&T could not have expanded the practice into standard ATM DSL areas too.

Another possibility related to AT&T's use of the 10.0.0.0 subnet, is that even if you are still getting a public IP address on your router's WAN, AT&T might be using that subnet (and have devices with the same IP addresses as devices on your LAN), that could be complicating your use of that subnet for Internet facing applications. I remember having that problem when I used Covad. They used the 192.168.1.0 subnet for some of their internal routers and switches, and that caused problems for me until I changed my private LAN subnet (and my LAN device IP addresses) to something other than 192.168.1.x.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.