how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DJclueless

join:2008-12-30
Wichita, KS

Connection problem--modem or ATT?

Hopefully I have the right forum for this. The problem: About a month ago I could not get online, my modem (Motorola 2210-02-1002) activity light was not on (all others=green), DSL "check connection" panel-DNS=fail. No problems with physical connections or on the phone line (phone service fine). Rebooted computer (numerous times), switched computers, restarted modem, all to no avail. This went on for about 48 hours, then suddenly I could get back on line, and connections have been "normal" since (about a month now). This was about the tenth time I have had a "service outage", but none lasted this long. I am still trying to figure out what that might have been, modem or ATT? Any ideas?
Thanks

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
The modems lights provide quick info about the modems state,
did you have a working pppoe session, public ip address

DJclueless

Wichita, KS
According to the "Check Connection" diagnostic report (at the time):
Ethernet = Pass
ASDL= Pass
ATM = Pass
PPPoE = Pass
Authentication = Pass
IP = Pass
DNS = Fail

Thanks for having a look at the problem..

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
The "DNS = Fail" message may be misleading, if you know a web site address like:
typing 209.123.109.175 will display the website of www.dslreports.com

The modem may be doing a dns lookup on a url that is no longer working

DJclueless

Wichita, KS
'Didn't try entering numeric addresses, did try everything else, manual input of add, favorites list. BTW lights on the modem during the incident: power=green, ethernet=green, dsl=green, internet=green, activity=not lit at anytime even when trying to access--no indication of activity.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
Ok.........