Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

[Rant] ..house might explode, but Comcast wants its cable box ba

Seth Clifford writes in his blog that his parents house in NJ is in danger of exploding (in to fire) due to the recent superstorm Sandy.

Read it here: »sethclifford.me/2012/11/01/my-mo···ox-back/

Do you think Comcast should have contingencies in place for situations like this?

Is it right for Comcast to be so insistent in this? At this time? Later?

edited for typos and misspellings
--
Webmaster - Steve
- - - - - - - - - - - -
»www.1-gb.net
»www.ppnstudio.com

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

Re: [Rant] ..house might explode, but Comcast wants its cable bo

since she still has the equipment just have her return it. I also think maybe they need to pack up some of their most valued posessions in boxes to move when they need to.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
why not just bill the REAL price for the box that is USED and not the price of a NEW box for one that can be 3-5+ years old.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 edit
reply to pokesph
Got to love second hand stories. But in any case what did she expect. Let me get this correct tho. She is devestated and is calling comcast. NOUGH SAID

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
I had the same thing happen to my family. We moved and took our boxes with us back in 2004. Apparently the csr who told us we could take the boxes across town with us decided not to note it on the account. Well we had to fight with them to get the charges reversed. I forget how but we finally got them reversed.

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
reply to Joe12345678
said by Joe12345678:

why not just bill the REAL price for the box that is USED and not the price of a NEW box for one that can be 3-5+ years old.

I thought is was "replacement cost" not "current value"?

Not sure what the contract says and what's actually enforceable though.

Dexter
Premium
join:2003-08-07
Beverly, MA

1 edit
reply to pokesph
Why exactly was she calling Comcast again? To tell them her house might explode? I'm sorry, If my house was about to explode, the last people I'd be calling is comcast to explain that I might not be able to return a cable box. Story sounds a little fishy to me.

Even if Comcast did bill her, just submit the bill to the insurance company along with the "exploded house" claim.
--
My Pbase Gallery

myluvnttl78

join:2000-12-22
Ridgefield, WA
said by Dexter:

Why exactly was she calling Comcast again? To tell them her house might explode? I'm sorry, If my house was about to explode, the last people I'd be calling is comcast to explain that I might not be able to return a cable box. Story sounds a little fishy to me.

Even if Comcast did bill her, just submit the bill to the insurance company along with the "exploded house" claim.

I agree too! That's is the last thing to the last thing I would do... lol...

Hello Comcast, My house is on fire, and I'm in the house calling you on my cell phone...trying to grap the cable box... oppsss.... drop call...

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
reply to pokesph
It seems to me as if the woman called the cable company not from her house, but after Sandy and the leaks were discovered.
When you are being evacuated you don't exactly think about cable and I hope she never does again.

Since the storm ended the gas was turned off. The transit lines are being flushed. It will be months before natural gas is returned to that area. It would not surprise me if the entire area was declared a disaster razed.

In any case she won't be able to return to her home for some time. It is the American Way to gouge, to fix prices, to hide profits in off shore companies and blind trusts, and to never ever "give a sucker a break."

I would say to his mother: Buy a radio and tv, rent movies, and read a good book.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to pokesph
Sounds like someone looking for their 15 minutes.

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
Sacramento, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Dexter
said by Dexter:

She is likely calling to cancel service (which, FTA I guess she does every year) to avoid the monthly charges on a unusable account.
--
Webmaster - Steve
- - - - - - - - - - - -
»www.1-gb.net
»www.ppnstudio.com

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
why not cancel later? If she has time to call and cancel just grab the equipment and take it back. In the time she was on hold she could have grabbed the equipment.

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
Sacramento, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by mikedz4:

why not cancel later? If she has time to call and cancel just grab the equipment and take it back. In the time she was on hold she could have grabbed the equipment.

I'm pretty sure she wasn't calling from their house in danger.. most likely from a evac center or a relatives house.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to pokesph
Generally when you evacuate you have nothing to do but think about your affairs and get them in order.

At least that's how it was for me when I was displaced from Katrina.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pokesph
Actually im thinking comcast called her from a call center. She probably disconnected about a month ago and comcast just happened to pick that time to call to get the equipment back. Thats the only explanation of why someone would even talk to comcast at that point.

nuageux

@videotron.ca
reply to mikedz4
She just have to pay his montly bill and wait until she can access the house. If your house isn't all paid and the house explosed, you will still have to pay the mortage, right?

Life isn't always fun... She have already lost a house, if I were her, the cable box would be the least of my worries...

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
The following is an excerpt from a Fierce Cable article:

quote:
Cablevision won't bill Hurricane Sandy victims

November 2, 2012 | By Steve Donohue

. . .

Officials at Comcast (Nasdaq: CMCSA) and Time Warner Cable (NYSE: TWC) also said Friday that they will not charge subscribers fees for lost or damaged equipment.

"Our hearts go out to our customers impacted by the storm, and we want to do everything we can to make things even a little easier as they go through this difficult time. We will handle each customer on an individual basis so we can be sensitive to their specific needs and circumstances," Comcast spokeswoman Jenni Moyer told FierceCable. Subscribers with lost or damaged equipment should call 1-800-COMCAST to report it, or can visit one of the MSO's local service centers, she added.

. . .

»www.fiercecable.com/story/cablev···internal
--
SA 8300 HD DVRs with Patched S25 Guide
Links:
'S25 Guide Blog' 'Schedule' 'Info' 'Patch Thread'

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
reply to pokesph
Consumerist has an update to the story with a response from comcast...

»consumerist.com/2012/11/01/comca···ox-back/

We asked Comcast for comment and received the following reply:

We have already reached out to apologize for adding to his parents’ difficulties and to ask for his parents’ contact information so we can call to personally apologize and assure them that we are handling the equipment without the need for them to do anything further. Please know we are working with our teams to ensure we handle all customer calls on a case-by-case basis with sensitivity to the devastating effects Hurricane Sandy had on so many of our local communities and residents. Again, we are of course notating his parents account to ensure they are not charged for equipment they can’t return.

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
yeah I saw where some companies have waived equipment replacement fees. I think one company even offered if the equipment was damaged to take it to the office and have it replaced.

" TWC also is not charging for any damaged equipment. The MSO is asking customers to return damaged equipment, even to a technician they find working in their neighborhood, Dudley added."

"Verizon Communications also said it plans to extend credits for affected customers.

"We routinely credit our customers when they’re out of service, whether for power outages or other reasons where service has been impacted. We will of course do the same for those affected by Hurricane Sandy," spokesman Bill Kula wrote in an email.

The telco has said it will repair or replace any equipment damaged in the storm without any charge to customers, according to information on its website "

Joe12345678

Des Plaines, IL
reply to The Q
said by The Q:

said by Joe12345678:

I thought is was "replacement cost" not "current value"?

Not sure what the contract says and what's actually enforceable though.

well your home insurance should have the attorneys that can stand to there bloated rates

flwpwr

@comcast.net
reply to pokesph
tell her to schedule a tech to come pick it up, I guarantee you they will tell the CSR to go eff themselves when they hear explosion and gas line.

as to your question

Is it right for Comcast to be so insistent in this? At this time? Later?

If you let your friend borrow a weed eater, and he promised to return it, then a natural disaster hit and destroyed it, you'd expect him to replace it and if he were a friend he would already have it when he came to tell you the situation. He might be late getting it to you and you'd be expected to understand that, but you would not be expected to NOT get it back. He took responsibility for it, he owns up, that's the way it works. Right and wrong is not the terms you want to use here, legally its RIGHT.

Furthermore the person in a call center in only god knows where has no idea if your mother is an upstanding person with a real situation or a dirt bag trying to use the hurricane as an excuse to cash scrap metal to buy more meth. Its a policy, they follow it for EVERYONE, then no one can accuse them of being racists, sexist, or any other hate crime out there, that's the BOTTOM line.

That said the story is suspicious, if I were in a natural disaster I would not call comcast and I work for them nor would I bother answering their calls. If you were not food, shelter, or family your call gets voicemail, period. As someone who has lived through hurricanes, I'd be pissed you were even bothering to clog up the already stressed communication lines with this, personally.

»news.consumerreports.org/electro···now.html

I suppose now the story will change to she texted comcast or used the land line in her soon to blow up home, but whatever, its common sense you limit pointless communications during natural disasters so people who really need to, CAN. Like 911. And no, cable is not an emergency.

Danny G

@cox.net
reply to mikedz4
Don't know anyone who would be seriously telling customers they're allowed to move with Comcast equipment to another residence be it across town or across the country. The customer rep was wrong in saying it can be done and the charges were legit. Sorry.

Danny G

@cox.net
reply to myluvnttl78
Shouldn't insurance cover that?

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
reply to Danny G
I just did it with my apartment. I moved and kept my equipment with no problems whatsoever. Unless comcast messed up and was supposed to charge me.

Joe12345678

Des Plaines, IL
reply to Danny G
directv lets you do that.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Do you REALLY think anyone cares whether direct tv allows it or not?