spc
Search similar:

uniqs
quickdry21
join:2009-05-15
Westmount, QC

quickdry21

Nexus 4 and LG build quality

I'm holding out to pick up the Nexus 4 when it comes out on November the 13th, but I'm a bit worried about the prospective build quality of the new device. I don't know much about the quality of LG's previous smartphones, but I've read some comments implying that LG has had some hardware issues in the past.

Is there any substance to these comments? I'm worried about picking up a brand new piece of hardware from a a company that has had hardware issues in the past.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
London, ON

nekkidtruth

Premium Member

The key thing here is this device is a Nexus. You would be better suited to check out the build quality of the previous Nexus devices as Google holds them to pretty high standards.

I would be very surprised if it was built cheap.

Steimes
I make internets
Premium Member
join:2002-01-08
Belle Vernon, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Steimes to quickdry21

Premium Member

to quickdry21
Lack of LTE would hold me back. I was thinking of picking on up and giving the wife my Galaxy S3, but I am having doubts now.... Plus I love my Galaxy S3, I just wish it would get Jelly Bean already.

I was a big LG fan back in the day when they made the best flip phones for Verizon, built like tanks. Granted, that was almost ten(!) years ago.

smunro622
Premium Member
join:2006-02-15
united state

smunro622 to quickdry21

Premium Member

to quickdry21
Stiemes,

I agree on the LTE, I have a S3 on VZW. It is rooted and modded it is a great phone. With the latest he radio iupgrade i have fixed a few of the issues i was having.

Steimes
I make internets
Premium Member
Belle Vernon, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Steimes

Premium Member

said by smunro622:

Stiemes,

I agree on the LTE, I have a S3 on VZW. It is rooted and modded it is a great phone. With the latest he radio iupgrade i have fixed a few of the issues i was having.

LTE makes a surprising difference doesn't it?

Off topic: That is why I don't bother with the custom roms, it seems they always have a "few issues" but work great, maybe a little snappyier, and a custom skin. I would rather just have no issues, touch wiz, and wait for an official release.

smunro622
Premium Member
join:2006-02-15
united state

1 edit

smunro622 to quickdry21

Premium Member

to quickdry21
actually the issue was radios even on the stock rom, i was able to get updated radios when i modded the phone...

Samsung does not have the same quality radios as htc in my opinion

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

mromero to quickdry21

Premium Member

to quickdry21
i wouldn't worry since Google is a partner and the last thing they need is hardware problems on a Nexus device. Its probably been tested to death in Google's labs.

Steimes
I make internets
Premium Member
Belle Vernon, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Steimes to smunro622

Premium Member

to smunro622
said by smunro622:

actually the issue was radios even on the stock rom, i was able to get updated radios when i modded the phone...

Samsung does have the same quality radios as htc in my opinion

Good to know.
JBear
join:2005-02-24
canada

JBear to quickdry21

to quickdry21
Actually I'm wondering how the screen will be on this. I have a Galaxy S II (AMOLED 800x480) and my brother has a Samsung Galaxy Nexus (HD Super AMOLED 1280x720).

I've never compared the two with any other type of screen so I'm curious how other screens rank up against them.

Lack of LTE is a little disappointing but something I'd live with. But that brings me to another point...

Battery life on my GS2 was horrendous before I installed the GreenPower app. Now it's not as bad as before but still not great and definitely not as good as the iPhone. I think with LTE we would've been hearing a lot of complaints about battery life, but that is mainly an educated guess based on past experiences.

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol

Premium Member

Really good screen. Like the one X. Lcd

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to JBear

Premium Member

to JBear
1280-by-768 screen, 320ppi.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nexus_4

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
USA

Lone Wolf to quickdry21

Premium Member

to quickdry21
The Nexus line of phones are developer phones. They are meant to be modded although they operate fine with the stock ROM and Kernel. You needn't be a developer to mod these devices as it is fairly simple and some think it's fun.

Google will assure all that the build quality will be good and the preliminary reviews look good. Of course there is no SD card slot, LTE and it will be a pure GSM device. The price is slated to be low compared with other smartphones which I find shocking. I may sell my GNex and upgrade if I can find a buyer.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go ··· le_Nexus

Google Nexus is a line of mobile devices using the Android operating system produced by Google in conjunction an original equipment manufacturer (OEM) partner. Devices in the Nexus series[1] do not have manufacturer or wireless carrier modifications to Android (such as custom graphical user interfaces), and have an unlockable bootloader[2] to allow further development and end-user modification.[3] Nexus devices are the first Android devices to receive updates to the operating system.[4][5][6] The Galaxy Nexus is one of the few smartphones recommended by the Android Open Source Project for Android software development.[7] As of November 2012, the latest devices in the series are the Nexus 4 phone by Google and LG, and the Nexus 10 tablet computer by Google and Samsung.

»www.androidpolice.com/20 ··· eserves/

The most important phone of the year has arrived. We not only get a new version of Android, but a new approach to hardware design, too. This isn't just any new piece of hardware; this is (hopefully) the start of a revolution in design and materials for Android phones. This Nexus 4 hardware is so good, so well-built, and made with such attention to detail, that it is the new high bar for any hardware - not just Android hardware. The standard cheap plastic slabs aren't going to cut it anymore after this.

»blogs.computerworld.com/ ··· xy-nexus

And the Nexus 4 doesn't offer support for LTE and thus Verizon (though one could argue that's actually a good thing).

ConstantineM
join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA

ConstantineM

said by Lone Wolf:

Google will assure all that the build quality will be good and the preliminary reviews look good. Of course there is no SD card slot, LTE and it will be a pure GSM device.

That's just marketing; it's obvious that it will still work even without GSM, provided you have UMTS. :-p

FYI: UMTS does support simultaneous voice and data, and doesn't require for there to be any GSM service.

I think it's great that the phone is really affordable and free of contracts; much better than having a useless LTE (since T-Mobile USA has no LTE network anyways).

chmod
Premium Member
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL

chmod

Premium Member

I'm all over the N4. LTE, meh most of the world isn't setup for lte so that being a determining factor is kind of moot imo. I've hit 29mbps down on my gs2 I find that more than enough for hspa+ speeds.

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium Member
join:2001-08-02
La Porte, IN

ztmike to quickdry21

Premium Member

to quickdry21
If your curious to know about build quality look up the phone called LG Optimus G ...its basically a Nexus 4 but with LGs custom skin and carrier variations.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
USA

Lone Wolf to ConstantineM

Premium Member

to ConstantineM
said by ConstantineM:

That's just marketing; it's obvious that it will still work even without GSM, provided you have UMTS. :-p

FYI: UMTS does support simultaneous voice and data, and doesn't require for there to be any GSM service.

The phone is cheap. Why not buy one and try it on Verizon's network and report back with your connection speeds.
ConstantineM
join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA

ConstantineM

Verizon has no UMTS; besides, they don't offer any unlimited plans anyways. I really can't understand why would anyone sign up with any carrier other than T-Mobile in the US (or possibly StraightTalk, if you don't care about violating their T&C), because no other carrier has 4G speeds and overage-free access anyways.

What's the point of having slightly higher speeds than T-Mo, but with a 2GB limit, if you have to pay 100$ for it, and would still be charged overage fees if you go over?

I'm happy with my 5GB@4G @ 30$/30days T-Mo plan, with free tethering and no overages! Google Galaxy Nexus (e.g. HSPA+ Nexus 3) is still pretty cool, too. Won't be switching to Verizon any time soon!

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

ConstantineM See Profile, it comes down to coverage. T-Mobile lags a lot in uniform coverage in their markets.

In my city, Cleveland, Ohio... T-Mobile coverage is trash. The only choices I have are Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint. I have Verizon right now with a grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan. AT&T'? Not just no but hell no. And Sprint is just as bad as T-Mobile in my area.

mromero
Premium Member
Fullerton, CA

mromero to chmod

Premium Member

to chmod
did you get one? heard the nexus 4 sold out in 25 minutes lol.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson to smunro622

Premium Member

to smunro622
said by smunro622:

Samsung does not have the same quality radios as htc in my opinion

OT but I have an S3 and the signal strength and quality with low signal sucks compared to my old stock Photon. They don't have the same quality radios as Moto either. What rom are you using?

chmod
Premium Member
Lockport, IL

2 edits

chmod to mromero

Premium Member

to mromero
Yea I was able to get an order in. Ships out tommorow at the latest. I was on the playstore page when it went live and it still took me an hour to get the order to go through because of all the traffic. If you kept refreshing the page add to cart would eventually pop up. People were still reporting new orders on xda past 4pm yesterday. I see it's all gone this morning.
chmod

chmod to quickdry21

Premium Member

to quickdry21

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 97vGJv30
quickdry21
join:2009-05-15
Westmount, QC

quickdry21

Argh, I wonder how long it's going to take for more stock to come in.

chmod
Premium Member
Lockport, IL

chmod to quickdry21

Premium Member

to quickdry21
Man google should let amazon coordinate their launches and sales. What a complete disaster. Got an email from google today:

Thank you for your recent purchase on Google Play. Due to overwhelming demand, your Nexus 4 is on backorder and is expected to ship within three weeks. We’ll send you a notification when your order has shipped and will credit the shipping charges.

There seems to be no reasoning as to who got their orders shipped and who go backorder emails. The N7 pre order debacle now this, sad.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

I'll bet Google didn't expect this kind of response for the N4.

chmod
Premium Member
Lockport, IL

chmod

Premium Member

Fair enough. But what kind of shipping lottery are they running? Certainly not first come first serve. Im ok waiting a while longer, sucks for those who sold their current device to fund this one.

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

I'm not sure, but I have a few devices in my drawer. I tend to collect them, and charge them once a month. My oldest at this point is a Moto V360. My newest is a BB Torch.

If all else fails, get a burner.

chmod
Premium Member
Lockport, IL

chmod to Juggernaut

Premium Member

to Juggernaut
Fair enough. But what kind of shipping lottery are they running? Certainly not first come first serve. Im ok waiting a while longer, sucks for those who sold their current device to fund this one.

mromero
Premium Member
Fullerton, CA

mromero to quickdry21

Premium Member

to quickdry21
sneaky Google hid a lte chip in the Nexus 4

»arstechnica.com/gadgets/ ··· ntent%29

Juggernaut
Premium Member
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Nice! So a FW update could potentially activate it. Or, a custom rom...