join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to whoaru99

Re: Lifeline Internet Service

said by whoaru99:

Lucky? I dunno...if you look at cost per Mbps it's actually more than Charter. Guess that's the way most things work though...ketchup costs more per ounce in a small bottle too.

Which ISP sells Internet service "by the Byte"? I've had AT&T and Sonic.net; both charge a flat monthly fee. So do Charter and Comcast, and all of the rest that I know of. Until ISPs start charging "by the Byte", cost per Mbps comparisons are pointless.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

whoaru99

join:2003-12-17

1 edit

All my ketchup gets used so why would I pay more per serving by buying it in small bottles, so to speak?

It may not matter to you and it may not be the point if you can't afford the big bottle, but to say it's pointless is untrue.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

said by whoaru99:

In your opinion, of course.

All my ketchup gets used so why would I pay more per serving by buying it in small bottles, so to speak?

Simple math.

Say a 12 oz bottle is $1.99 and a 32 oz is $3.49

The 12 oz is 16.5 cents per oz and the 32 oz is 10.9 cents per oz.

Save money by buying in bulk.

I'm always using the calculator in my phone to save money when grocery shopping. Sometimes the smaller package of something will be on sale while the larger one is not and the smaller package winds up costing less per oz with the sale price so I buy two of the smaller instead of one of the larger.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

whoaru99

join:2003-12-17

1 edit

Sometimes the smaller package of something will be on sale while the larger one is not and the smaller package winds up costing less per oz with the sale price so I buy two of the smaller instead of one of the larger.

Of course. I just yesterday did that on a couple jars of peanut butter. In the example I used DSL was even more expensive "per ounce" on their promo than is Charter on their new standard pricing.

Comes down to price vs. cost. I understand that price may be the limiting factor in some cases, but cost is a consideration.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to whoaru99

said by whoaru99:

It may not matter to you and it may not be the point if you can't afford the big bottle, but to say it's pointless is untrue.

That is true for merchandise sold in incremental quantities. May I remind you that Internet is not sold that way? It does not matter if I use 10GB per month, or 100GB per month. It does not matter if my tier is 3Mbs or 30Mbs. My fee is a fixed amount per month, and the data used does not affect my bill. Until "Cap-and-overage" becomes the norm, anyway.

Therefore, since there is currently no model for "bulk data" for consumer Internet, comparison to products amenable to bulk sales is pointless.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to TheTechGuru

said by TheTechGuru:

Simple math.

Say a 12 oz bottle is $1.99 and a 32 oz is $3.49

The 12 oz is 16.5 cents per oz and the 32 oz is 10.9 cents per oz.

Save money by buying in bulk.

I'm always using the calculator in my phone to save money when grocery shopping. Sometimes the smaller package of something will be on sale while the larger one is not and the smaller package winds up costing less per oz with the sale price so I buy two of the smaller instead of one of the larger.

But I can't use up 32 oz before it goes rancid. All I am able to use is 12 oz. I throw out 20 oz of bulk priced rancid ketchup. That means I paid $3.49 for 12 oz of ketchup. If I'm not going to use all that ketchup (or bandwidth) buying the 12 oz bottle takes less money out of my wallet.
Ketchup isn't a good example. Substitute something more perishable.

horseathalt7

join:2012-06-11
Reviews:
·DIRECTV

But I can't use up 32 oz before it goes rancid. All I am able to use is 12 oz. I throw out 20 oz of bulk priced rancid ketchup. That means I paid $3.49 for 12 oz of ketchup. If I'm not going to use all that ketchup (or bandwidth) buying the 12 oz bottle takes less money out of my wallet.

Yep. Exactly.

Notice how the faulty "talking point" the PR people are desperate to use doesn't make logical sense, IF you are a typical consumer living in the "real economy". But see the top execs at most companies do not and have NO clue about family budgets. Their resources are limitless. MBAs & brass tack co. are completely out of touch.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

said by horseathalt7:

Yep. Exactly.

Notice how the faulty "talking point" the PR people are desperate to use doesn't make logical sense, IF you are a typical consumer living in the "real economy". But see the top execs at most companies do not and have NO clue about family budgets. Their resources are limitless. MBAs & brass tack co. are completely out of touch.

"Their resources are limitless. MBAs & brass tack co. are completely out of touch."

Those last 2 lines sounds just like that "other" pickel who's running for President!!

I try to covince my wife all the time about that ketchup scenario with the stuff she buys!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/