join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Black Box

Re: Gasoline Prices Below 99 Cents/Litre By Christmas

said by Black Box:

Well, I drive a manual (and the model has a notoriously hard clutch) in Toronto traffic everyday. In fact, I never owned an automatic.

Once you've done it for a while you don't even think about it. Maybe you plan your speed so by the time you get too close to the car in front it moves.

I totally agree. I drive a Cooper S that has a hard clutch. I drive it in traffic daily with no issue. I think Jeffer is getting old.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1
Try driving a manual in the Halifax area of HRM. Downtown Halifax is on the side of a hill. It's like a mini San Fransisco... Pulling away on hills in bumper to bumper traffic is a skill...

The clutch on my 60 Vette is really hard. Yes there are times when I wish the tranny was an automatic like a 700R4 but I still prefer a manual. I actually know a few guys who replaced their manual trannys with TH350s, 700R4s, etc and they claim it really ruined their driving experience and enjoyment of their muscle car...

AND the maintenance to a manual tranny would not be as costly as a dsg...

When I purchased my Vette in 1983 the previous owner used the car as a drag racer...That is a legal drag race car on a 1/4 mile strip. The tranny in my Vette is a Muncie M21 and not the M22 - 'rock crusher'. It also has a scattershield and not a stock bell housing...

At the time of purchase the 2nd gear synchro needed replacing. After purchasing a replacement synchro, my kid brother & I had the tranny out of the car, replaced the tranny, clutch and pressure plate in a single afternoon. I can't imagine doing repairs of a dsg tranny in my backyard on a summer's afternoon...

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to Mike2009
said by Mike2009:

said by Black Box:

Well, I drive a manual (and the model has a notoriously hard clutch) in Toronto traffic everyday. In fact, I never owned an automatic.

Once you've done it for a while you don't even think about it. Maybe you plan your speed so by the time you get too close to the car in front it moves.

I totally agree. I drive a Cooper S that has a hard clutch. I drive it in traffic daily with no issue. I think Jeffer is getting old.

Is that a classic Mini Cooper S or a newer BMW model? Either way nice car!!!!

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to Mike2009
said by Mike2009:

No he just lost his "coolness" or mojo. The burbs will do that by sucking the life out of you.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
I'm betting Hoss traded in his Harley for a moped...

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
I believe he had a Japanese bike of moderate CCs so a moped was not much of a step down.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
Hah!

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to peterboro
said by peterboro:

I believe he had a Japanese bike of moderate CCs so a moped was not much of a step down.

some of my bikes looked like this:

if i was going to buy a bike again, i would be very tempted by this one (Triumph Street Triple):

--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Mike2009

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to vue666
said by vue666:

said by Mike2009:

said by Black Box:

Is that a classic Mini Cooper S or a newer BMW model? Either way nice car!!!!

Thanks. It's a 2007 Cooper S. Lots of fun to drive.

Mike2009

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by Mike2009:

No he just lost his "coolness" or mojo. The burbs will do that by sucking the life out of you.

Be nice, I live in the burbs too.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

said by peterboro:

some of my bikes looked like this:
[att=1]
[att=2]
[att=3]
[att=4]

if i was going to buy a bike again, i would be very tempted by this one (Triumph Street Triple):
[att=5]

Gee Hoss you always came across as someone who was more comfortable with a hammer then a calculator...