uniqs
Sukunai
Premium Member
join:2008-05-07

1 recommendation

Sukunai

Premium Member

Opinions (online that is)

I might have selected rant, but it is not so much something that makes me angry really. I am mainly just annoyed with all of us in general and where we have ended up (collectively).

Odd too I suppose as I am doing this online, yes I see the irony.

Do you remember ever writing a letter to the edit for a newspaper/magazine, and you actually had to type it on a typewriter and then mail it to an address with a stamp that actually cost you something?

I used to do that. I liked doing it. I even was in print a couple of times.

Today though, well I am not saying anything revolutionary or revealing of course, when I say, it is just too damned easy to have an opinion on virtually anything, and it costs nothing but our time (which is likely too high of a cost when you think of how much time we spend doing this).

The internet has given us the option to mouth off about anything, and it is spell checked and grammar checked if we really care for it. So actually knowing how to write is barely required now. There is no real effort required and if we think otherwise later, well we can usually go back and edit it (and then even deny we had said it too I suppose).

Then there is the whole copy paste thing. Not even needing to write our own comments, we just steal someone else's work, and then expect to say 'what he said' +1.

I think it has made society too overly opinionated on things that before we'd simply not care about, as the effort simply wasn't worth it and thus we'd have just not bothered. I never really had a problem with religion and politics before the internet to be honest. And the opinions I saw in print, even when I disagreed strongly, were at least well enough written, because otherwise the editor simply wasn't going to waste space on them.

I guess it would be a lot quieter here on DSL reports if an editor had the power to select posts to be allowed to see the light of day. But it likely would make for a lot better reading I suppose (my own posts included).

Pole883
Premium Member
join:2004-01-27
Schenectady, NY

Pole883

Premium Member

Well said, my friend.

Q.E.D.
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state

Secyurityet to Sukunai

Premium Member

to Sukunai
Ah, but the internet is so much more cathartic.

And if you're worried about offending someone, start your own blog -- then you can blog like a pirate: "Say what you want, take nothing back!"

Ken
MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Ken to Sukunai

MVM

to Sukunai
I agree the internet has made it easier for people who should really just shut their mouths to get even louder. However I think that is still outweighed by the huge benefit of being able to find information so quickly and easily. I remember as a kid if someone told me something that I didn't think sounded right I had no way to verify their information. Today I can jump on the internet and research things to my hearts content. I now think back and laugh at all those old wives tales that I was being told and I believed them because I didn't have an easy source of information to verify anything.
Sukunai
Premium Member

Sukunai

Premium Member

I tried blogging a few times. I eventually found they always ended up being too hate filled, too grumpy and just plain miserable. And I suspect no one read them but me, and I always ended with 'well I think it sucks, why would anyone else not think so?'.

Today I have Facebook, at least I know I can say something and no that at least someone is able to see it and comment if they wish.

Not saying Facebook is the best thing to ever happen, but it is at least better than a blog. And the best part, is unlike forums, I don't need to worry about being banned because something I was rambling on about crossed the line with a moderator.

But if I could push a button, and make every rant I have ever typed online just vanish never to have happened, I'd do it in a heartbeat if all the negativity generated went with them as well.

I admit it, I have trouble distancing myself from the idiocy of the internet most days.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to Sukunai

Premium Member

to Sukunai
said by Sukunai:

Then there is the whole copy paste thing. Not even needing to write our own comments, we just steal someone else's work, and then expect to say 'what he said' +1.

That.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by cowboyro:

said by Sukunai:

That.

+1
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to Sukunai

to Sukunai
The bottom line is that people as a whole are generally more stupid than we ever imagined possible.

mettachain
Goblineer
join:2011-09-27
Azeroth

mettachain

said by Bob4:

The bottom line is that people as a whole are generally more stupid than we ever imagined possible.

+1

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to Sukunai

Premium Member

to Sukunai
You have to keep in mind that many places on the internet were created by the site owner for just that including this one (with set limits of course varying by each site). This and most other sites like it were not created to stifle things while just sitting here being quiet. There are other sites out there that do facilitate what you are looking for with some of them being actual circular news sites. DSLR is more of a collective of news and information from other sources with sometimes contacting someone for verification.

Opinions are like assholes, every one has one and has always had one. The thing is now their opinions can be actually expressed some where it is permitted to do so rather than being limited to social groups, phone conversations, etc. Places like this also allow people to voice a valid opinion without fear of it being squashed by an editor just because they disagree. Then before the internet was publicly available information was mostly controlled by the news outlets. That is not a good thing. With the rise in opinions on the internet, it goes to show that more people are receiving more information now than before and in a much more timely fashion. They also get information on a global scale now instead of having to rely on what their local news outlets are limited in doing. On the flip side of that, these bigger news outlets cannot really compete with the local outlets for the local information closer to home.
Sukunai
Premium Member

Sukunai

Premium Member

The other day, during a momentary muse, I came to realise, we all have an opinion, thus none of us NEEDS an opinion as we already have one.

Yet there we are, all trying to force an opinion on someone that already has one.

I think the next time I run up against an aggressive opinion, I will attempt to remind the person that I don't require their opinion, I already have one.

The best anyone can do, is to walk around having a visible opinion, that looks better then the one held by the observer. You can't make a person accept your opinion, but, you can always make them possibly want it if it looks better than their own in their opinion.

Now as for the opinions are like assholes.... everyone has one. Actually, my back side gives me a lot of problems I wouldn't mind a new one
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to Bob4

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

I don't think that's the case; rather, it's becoming easier and easier for stupid people to have their voices heard. Stupid people can figure out Facebook and how to post comments on CNN.com. It's harder to figure out where, and how, to send an actual letter.

fruhead
join:2002-01-29
Mosquito,NJ

fruhead to AVD

to AVD
said by AVD:

said by cowboyro:

said by Sukunai:

That.

+1

I see what you did there. (squints eyes)

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD to Moffetts

Premium Member

to Moffetts
said by Moffetts:

said by Bob4:

I don't think that's the case; rather, it's becoming easier and easier for stupid people to have their voices heard. Stupid people can figure out Facebook and how to post comments on CNN.com. It's harder to figure out where, and how, to send an actual letter.

Its just easy to shoot out an electronic message.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to Sukunai

Premium Member

to Sukunai
I try to keep my posts constructive and remember the old adage: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." I realize that I fail sometimes, but I've come to the conclusion that life is just too short to argue with people over the internet. Even if they're easily, provably wrong, if it's something like politics or religion, you'll never, ever sway their opinion so why try.

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by TheBionic:

I've come to the conclusion that life is just too short to argue with people over the internet.

QFT

GroovyPhoenx
Premium Member
join:2006-05-22
Gloucester, ON

GroovyPhoenx to Sukunai

Premium Member

to Sukunai
I like to think that because the internet has made it easier to read/research/educate oneself that this has made us more informed and more educated on matters which while not personally affecting us will cause you to react or think or form an opinion.

Where as in the past, television and newspapers were our only venue to gather data, we now have the internet, this in turn allows us to learn and express ourselves.

Social networks such as facebook and yes even the mostly dead MySpace have allowed us to more easily and freely share our views.

Facebook has not only "your thoughts" but it has a "comment" field, expressing yoru own idea is inviting more communication to occur.

Even though it is for the most part anonymous, expressing your ideas on a blog or a comment on facebook etc. All of these are now possible and make it easier!

Sure, some comments you read are "dumb" your thinking "Stupid idiot" when reading that some guy thinks its cool a dog got dragged or what have you, point is, its a new ofrm of expressing yourself, and in the safe way. Id much rather the idiot who thinks its cool to harm dogs be in his home typing then dragging a dog.

I'd much rather be able to view and express my own views on matters which won't affect me then not HAVE that ability.

So in short, the price of progress is that stupidity becomes much easier to sniff out! *grin*
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state
·T-Mobile

Secyurityet

Premium Member

said by GroovyPhoenx:

I like to think that because the internet has made it easier to read/research/educate oneself that this has made us more informed and more educated on matters which while not personally affecting us will cause you to react or think or form an opinion.

Where as in the past, television and newspapers were our only venue to gather data, we now have the internet, this in turn allows us to learn and express ourselves.

//redacted for brevity//

Sure, some comments you read are "dumb" your thinking "Stupid idiot" when reading that some guy thinks its cool a dog got dragged or what have you, point is, its a new ofrm of expressing yourself, and in the safe way. Id much rather the idiot who thinks its cool to harm dogs be in his home typing then dragging a dog.

//bredacted//

Think of it as cruising thru an intellectual garbage dump. Most of what you find is pure crap, but occasionally, you'll pull out a real gem!
Sukunai
Premium Member

Sukunai

Premium Member

In the scheme of things, I actually think I find trolls less bothersome than I do news items from actual real news, about persons that somehow make me lose faith in humanity as a whole.

I am sure all of those depressing news items occurred in my non internet youth, but, I never heard about them.

Ignorance is bliss.

I do like my Facebook experiences to date so far. I say something and a friend might comment back. Or vice versa. I see all sorts of really funny images that friends stumble on during their time online.

Yeah privacy is important, but sometimes the repercussions from people saying something dumb on Facebook and it biting them in the ass is a valuable lesson. STFU is something people need to learn when it counts.

My Facebook is wide open for the most part, I WANT what I say visible. I make a point of telling friends, don't friend me if any of my Facebook content will become a problem. And remember, my friends will have friends too. Some people just shouldn't be on Facebook at all.

I learned a harsh lesson though over last decade. Some people will remain who they are and never change. And if you can't handle those people, then you need to leave the party. And that is what I did in some cases, I ditched the party (some forums devoted to some of my hobbies). No one has skin thick enough to endure something they don't actually like, forever. Eventually it will get to you. I think forum addiction has been the biggest hurdle I have had to face since 1990. Today I no longer need them. Today I am just killing time.