North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to AdamAbrahamA

Re: Sump pump w/ battery backup

Click for full size
said by AdamAbrahamA:

I suggest "Wayne ESP25 12-Volt 3300 Gallons Per Hour Battery Back Up Sump Pump System" It is the best for you.

What if the power is out? How long will the battery last and then what? I've found that if a battery is involved then the potential for problems increases.

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Reviews:
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk
·Time Warner Cable
The battery for watchdog is supposed to last like 7.5 hours continuous use. Under normal conditions sump pumps don't run continuously.

After battery dies generator can be used to power the main pump and recharge the battery. Guess you could yank car, boat, or lawn mower battery if really desperate.

BTW I think you can connect two batteries up.

I have yet to see my backup system operate in a power outage but under the worst rains so far the main pump turns on about every 15 minutes for about 20 seconds. So maybe and I am just guessing I could go days on battery power only. Granted this is not what the OP was dealing with.

Your only other option would be water powered sump pump. This would work nicely if it can keep decent water pressure and be able to keep up with flow.

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
said by dcurrey:

Your only other option would be water powered sump pump. This would work nicely if it can keep decent water pressure and be able to keep up with flow.

Big issue with that would be the water bill as well as most municipalities don't want you dumping all that water into the sanitary sewer system. If you're on a septic you're going to fill your tank.

The thought for us is it would run enough (hour or 2) for the power to come back on or us to hook up the generator.