Search similar:

uniqs

anon_5224
join:2001-10-23
united state
Asus RT-AC66

anon_5224

[MCE] building your own networked tv tuner box

I am wondering if it's possible to build a dedicated system used for the sole purpose of tuning TV channels and sharing them over the network? With products such as Silicon Dust's HD Homerun network-tuner available, how difficult would it be to install a couple TV Tuner cards into a mid range PC and access the signal via LAN?

peter russel
@rogers.com

peter russel

Anon

somebody beat you to it, they invented such device already, its called a SLING BOX

halfband
Premium Member
join:2002-06-01
Huntsville, AL

halfband to anon_5224

Premium Member

to anon_5224
With a silicon dust network turner you simply use it over your existing network. Windows 7 already contains the media center application that gives you DVR functions and a programming interface similar to a tivo. If you are trying to replace a cablebox for encrypted cable systems then the tuner options you have are a bit more limited as you will need a cable card based tuner. There are three companies that currently make them, all can be used to stream over a network in the right configuration.

steelingbox
join:2005-07-09
Casselberry, FL

steelingbox to anon_5224

to anon_5224
I have 3 "dedicated" MCE computers connected to televisions in my home. I use this network tuner »www.silicondust.com/prod ··· 6cc-3x2/ to get channels, including encrypted, from my cable provider. If you plan to go with a similar setup I suggest that you have a gigabit switch to avoid congestion.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Wouldn't an encrypted recording on system 1 be inaccessible on system 2 and system 3,.....?

Or if you have a server for storage wouldn't the system that recorded the file be the only system that could access it,....?

steelingbox
join:2005-07-09
Casselberry, FL

steelingbox to anon_5224

to anon_5224
This is one of the drawbacks of the copyonce protection... only the machine that recorded the content is authorized to play it back. I wonder how the linux based media centers get around this?