spc
uniqs

GenNewbie
@rr.com

GenNewbie to robbin

Anon

to robbin

Re: Generator doesn't work with Power Vent Hot Water Heater

So I see for about $30-35 I can buy a 2 foot extension cord that appears to have a GFCI protected triplex plug. In other words, if I plug that into the generator and then the extension cord I want to run into that, does this solve many of the safety issues that is causing the stir?

I hope so as it would be a quick, convenient and easy fix and provide a great piece of mind. Thank you.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

That would work so long as you are not connecting it to your house wiring.

GenNewbie
@rr.com

GenNewbie

Anon

By that you mean back feeding the panel? I am not doing that.

I am currently running 1 new 10 gauge outdoor type extension cord. I would plan to use this new short GFCI cord between that cord and the generator to "protect" the connection. If that works, it would seem like $30 very well spent.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

said by GenNewbie :

By that you mean back feeding the panel? I am not doing that.

I am currently running 1 new 10 gauge outdoor type extension cord. I would plan to use this new short GFCI cord between that cord and the generator to "protect" the connection. If that works, it would seem like $30 very well spent.

You'll be fine. The GFCI does add some peace of mind and protection, good idea. The N-G bond "jumper cord" enables it to work with your WH, that's fine, too. Good luck on your outage!

GenNewbie
@rr.com

GenNewbie

Anon

Thanks very much. It will be great to have hot water and know that we are (mostly) safe. As always, I will be as safe as I can, use decent materials and try to be smart about things. I just never thought about the GFCI being in line in an extension cord. Genius!

I really appreciate the help!