All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Black Box
join:2002-12-21

Black Box

[Rant] The beginning of the end for Netflix

Carl Icahn takes a 10% stake in Netflix. This is the guy that destroyed TWA, pushed Yahoo in the arms of Microsoft and bankrupted Blockbusters.

It was a blast while it lasted, so enjoy the last years 'till Netflix assets are sold out and the rest is sold out to one of the major players like Comcast or Time Warner.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

Capitalism at its finest!

And it has been a good run, with a US DNS I get all sorts of movies and TV shows.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to Black Box

Premium Member

to Black Box
He hasn't bought it yet. Most of it are call options that will expire in two years. So if he doesn't get his way in two years (and I doubt he will, if Netflix gets sold, most of the shareholders will lose as it will become a useless defunct piece of crap that will disappear in 6 months.)

I see this being a whole lot of nothing and he'll just move on to some other dumb idea.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Black Box

Premium Member

to Black Box
urbanriot

urbanriot to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
Eh, it's just a 10% stake.
said by J E F F4:

And it has been a good run, with a US DNS I get all sorts of movies and TV shows.

So you like that capitalism gave you this service or you don't like that someone has a 10% stake in what capitalism has given you? It's hard to frame your comment...

zacron
Premium Member
join:2008-11-26
Frozen Hoth

zacron

Premium Member

+1

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

Eh, it's just a 10% stake.

said by J E F F4:

So you like that capitalism gave you this service or you don't like that someone has a 10% stake in what capitalism has given you? It's hard to frame your comment...

The second part. It's great when it's kept under control by reasonably people. Now there is a good chance that it will be ran into the ground. My understanding is that a while back (like 2 weeks or so) it was suggested that Netflix increase there rates by 50% or more. (technically they already did this in the US when they changed their format)..now with a single person having so much control, there is a good chance rates will go up.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

If they did raise their rates, it would be the end of Netflix, people would flock somewhere else.

UB capitalism works but not when the end game is to destroy something in the name of profit. I can't say this beyond a shadow of a doubt, but his track record speaks for itself, Carl Ichan is not in for the long haul. What the game plan is , I don't know, sell it to one of the media giants? (That won't work since I may not want to watch all TW Movies all the time), but he's got one, and it's doesn't bode well for Netflix.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot to Black Box

Premium Member

to Black Box
LOL so you guys like what capitalism gave you but you don't like feeling afraid that someone who has a 10% stake in something could destroy it?

Honestly, I'd be happy if the rates when up to improve the selection and the service. Right now it's worth $8 a month, but I'd rather have a $15 a month service with a greater selection than the crap it has already.

Hopefully capitalism improves upon what capitalism has already given you... or maybe this 10% stake will destroy life as we know it? It's hard to say.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

Honestly, I'd be happy if the rates when up to improve the selection and the service. Right now it's worth $8 a month, but I'd rather have a $15 a month service with a greater selection than the crap it has already.

That has ZERO do with netflix or Carl Ichan, it's about the media giants being afraid of cannibalizing their DVD/BR sales. Why buy a disc when I pay netflix 8 bucks and watch multiple movies/tv series from the comfort of my chair without having to handle media.

This is part of the problem with Netflix, and no amount of "Capitalism" is going to fix it.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

Wow, this thread should be tagged with [Serious] !

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium Member
join:2012-10-18

Blogger to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

I concur.

Spike5
Premium Member
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON

Spike5 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

said by urbanriot:

That has ZERO do with netflix or Carl Ichan, it's about the media giants being afraid of cannibalizing their DVD/BR sales. Why buy a disc when I pay netflix 8 bucks and watch multiple movies/tv series from the comfort of my chair without having to handle media.

This is part of the problem with Netflix, and no amount of "Capitalism" is going to fix it.

This isn't a problem with Netflix, its the failure to adapt to the changing times of the movie studios thats the real issue.

cpsycho
join:2008-06-03
Treadeu Land

cpsycho to urbanriot

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

LOL so you guys like what capitalism gave you but you don't like feeling afraid that someone who has a 10% stake in something could destroy it?

Hopefully capitalism improves upon what capitalism has already given you... or maybe this 10% stake will destroy life as we know it? It's hard to say.

The only problem, is rates would most likely go up under this guy and there will be no new selection.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

Netflix readies ‘poison pill’ to block takeover

»www.dispatch.com/content ··· ver.html
quote:
Netflix Inc. said yesterday that it has adopted a shareholder-rights plan, also known as a poison pill. Such a plan is designed to make it difficult or even impossible for someone to take over the company without an agreement from the board. When the provision is triggered, additional shares flood the market and make it prohibitively expensive for a takeover.
I think he's out of luck for a takeover now.

bryanviper
join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper to J E F F4

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

Are you paying for a DNS service or are you just using some random usa dns that you found? I have tried to get this working on the ps3 with a random usa dns that has been suggested online and can never get it to work for some reason.
booj
join:2011-02-07
Richmond, ON

booj

From what I understand of DNS based rerouting services like UnBlockus is that they do route the video network traffic through their servers, but only for video sites on their special DNS list. ie. If you request a regular site from their DNS, you will be sent to that site, but if you request say Netflix, then they will perform a VPN like service to that site.

Purely using a US based DNS won't cut it. If that were the case you could just use their direct IP address to access US content, cutting DNS out altogether.

J E F F4
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to bryanviper

Premium Member

to bryanviper
I am paying for my DNS. I was using a free one that worked well, but that DNS was not working for MLB baseball. unblock-us works for everything. The free one was tunlr.net.

bryanviper
join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper

said by J E F F4:

I am paying for my DNS. I was using a free one that worked well, but that DNS was not working for MLB baseball. unblock-us works for everything. The free one was tunlr.net.

interesting I have tried using that on my PS3 did not seem to work. Also tried entering that DNS in my router again did not work when i would og on netflix on my ps3.

I'll have to give it another try.
Thanks
Misaow
join:2010-10-19
Ottawa, ON

Misaow

Been using unblockUS for almost 2 years now and its been working flawlessly. You can even switch between regions for netflix now.

Swap to Canada to watch some Dexter/movies only available in Canada (i know right?)
Swap to US to get more TV/movies
Swap to Mexico/Latin America for other movies like Hunger Games.

The swap is done on the website and takes ~30 seconds + a log-out log-in of Netflix.
Sukunai
Premium Member
join:2008-05-07

Sukunai to Black Box

Premium Member

to Black Box
I have always believed, nothing on the internet is forever.

I don't actually expect Netflix to last any longer than just about any other big hit on the internet.

It would be nice if it did stick around of course.

But I will wait for it to happen, before lamenting it happening.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

- Netflix stock has recently surged up
»www.google.com/finance?c ··· DAQ:NFLX
»www.cbsnews.com/8301-505 ··· er-hope/

- Netflix is dominating the paid online viewing market
- Netflix has 30 million customers
»www.businessweek.com/new ··· eo-share

I don't see them going anywhere any time soon and with more and more people using the service I'm sure it will improve.