spc
uniqs
mistcane
join:2012-11-02
Elizabethtown, KY

mistcane to baineschile

to baineschile

Re: [Rant] Technicians left a wiring nightmare

Even with the Service Protection Plan, it's my responsibility?

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

said by mistcane:

Even with the Service Protection Plan, it's my responsibility?

To remove old wiring, some of which you said was done by others?
Yes.
You had a rat's nest of wire before, and you still do, but you can't really expect ComCast to remove all that unused cable, which you or someone you hire could easily do, cutting out and removing the obviously unused cable an splitters.
The service protection plan means they will replace as need to provide service, if it still not right call in and complain (you should get a service credit, if it was not fixed in one visit.)

flwpwr
@comcast.net

flwpwr to mistcane

Anon

to mistcane
So here is the deal, the wires were not proven to be bad, and I do not see how anything was worse than it is before he got there, look like he bypassed one splitter and spliced it. That wiring looked like crap before he got there, and the SPP only protects you for replacement of BAD wires not bad looking wires.

You have 2 options

deal with the way the cable was run before you got the place. or schedule outlet installs [and yes they will cost if the wires that exist are NOT BAD].

That said you could BADLY DAMAGE the wires, then schedule a tc, and have them replaced, but you will have to wait until they get there to use the service off them again, and by damage I don't mean cut in one place, I mean skin the damn thing for every inch you can see. Like borrow a friends pet rat and let it go to town or something. Leaving the tech no choice but to run a new outlet. That said I think something is up with your house for them to run them that way, like maybe brick or block exterior, which in my FFO we do not drill, so if that is the case you will have to pre-drill the holes or hire a third party to run a custom outlet if you do not want it running like those pictures show, in which case you're paying for them again.
mistcane
Elizabethtown, KY

1 edit

mistcane to tshirt

to tshirt
The people whom lived here before had Comcast as well. So all of this "rat's nest" of wires is technically from Comcast. It's not my job to remove the unused cable, especially when that was the first thing I asked the techs to do and they obliged no problem. Yes, I am physically able to do it, but that is not the point. I asked them to do a simple job which they were seemingly completely fine with and it was turned into this.

Edit: Also, how exactly would you know what my wiring looked like prior? It was actually tucked away in a very clean way and was actually more tangled after the fact.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

I think he left the un nessesary portions out to make it easier for you to remove.
Suppose he had just chopped out everything EXCEPT your current outlets, and maybe in the process remove something you really wanted to keep or use later?
yes he could have done a cleaner pickup, but the office keeps these guys on a pretty tight schedule, so it's pretty much "make it work, and move on"
You were the one suggesting that it was bad before he came and he made it worse.
I think you just assumed he would do the deluxe job, on the budget plan payment
mistcane
Elizabethtown, KY

mistcane

I think you just made way too many assumptions in one reply.
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

As others have stated your protection plan does not mean Comcast is responsible for fixing a mess that already existed. And you are assuming Comcast did all that wiring themselves. It's very possible the previous tenants did it.

You can easily have taken the time it took you to type this up and have "cleaned up" the wires yourself.
mistcane
Elizabethtown, KY

mistcane

However it was Comcast who did the wiring. Previous tenants have shown receipts showing the installation invoice. It is not my responsibility to clean up the mess Comcast made. Apparently the Comcast bandwagon around here is pretty strong though so I will let you all keep criticizing based off assumptions.
ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

Sure Comcast did an install at that location but that does not prove the previous tenants didn't ADD wiring themselves like many do. Clean up the mess to your liking and move on. If you're experiencing services problems, then that's something we can help with or at least point you in the right direction to get it resolved.

Extide
join:2000-06-11
Salt Lake City, UT

Extide to mistcane

to mistcane
said by mistcane:

It is not my responsibility to clean up the mess Comcast made.

Yes it is. Your house, your mess, period. It has nothing to do with bandwagoning. Personally, I do all my wiring myself, at least as much as possible. If you want it done right, sometimes you have to do it yourself...

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

baineschile to mistcane

Premium Member

to mistcane
It has nothing to do with that; you came on here to rant, and you just had a mis-undestanding. You pay Comcast a monthly rate for services, but the lines in your home you own. Same with the electic company, same with the gas company.

Is it a possibility that Comcast did initially make that mess before you got there? Sure. But thats what home inspections are for (assiming its a house), or an apartment complex cleaning up before you moved in. You cant discount that a previous tenant, or another overbuilder cable company (if there is one in your area) may have done this. Either way, you really dont have proof.

The service protection plan, to my knowledge, its just kinda like an "insurance", where if you have trouble with your service, you wont have to pay a normally-charged service call.

If you have any other questions about your service, these boards are full of intelligent, helpful folk that will give you advice on what needs to be done.

Just a heads up though, as in this case, it wont always be the advice you may want to hear.