koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to El Quintron

Re: Question about Modular PSUs

said by El Quintron:

To be clear, I'm asking this is true or not, so far the consensus appears that it isn't.

It isn't. Whoever ""this guy"" is that stated ""[a non-modular PSU is] more reliable"" is, quite simply, making shit up. Krisnatharok See Profile's explanation above (re: plugging/unplugging crap constantly) is the only explanation, and even that's stretching it a bit.

In case you haven't realised it yet, most "PC enthusiasts" and "gamers" alike -- have zero familiarity with the actual underlying technology they're using. Rephrased: just because they can build a PC doesn't mean they understand EE, circuit design, subsystem protocols, how a kernel works, how device drivers actually interface with a piece of hardware, blah blah blah. There's just a lot of "lol tihs 1ne tiem tehre were thes guyss takling abont som movei caled teh mantrix lol its realley old" bullshit. They tend to resort to boisterous claims about "reliability" and "stability" even though there's often little to no evidence supporting their claim. It reminds me of audiophile nutjobs (this one is still my favourite, with this as the runner-up).

Actual/real engineers tend to not come out of the woodwork to combat the bullshit because it'd be a full-time job trying to properly educate everyone. I'm one of the few who does spend the time to try and educate and help people, and there are lots of times I'm wrong + learn something in the process. Such is being human. But there's a big difference between that and just blindly stating something is "more reliable". The guy should just be honest with you: "I'm not familiar with modular PSUs, they seem new, so I'm a bit afraid of them. Is my fear justified?"
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

I definitely fall into the realm of a non-engineer enthusiast, but I try to use logic in a situation where someone is serving up a BS claim ("higher-rated, more expensive PSUs fail more often than unrated/low-efficiency ones" is what this guy is claiming, in effect), or bring my questions to someone like you, who is awesome at explaining the why's and how's of the underlying technology.

If he's right, we can start recommending $15 PSUs to everyone and save them a bunch of money.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

said by Krisnatharok:

I definitely fall into the realm of a non-engineer enthusiast ...

The difference with you -- and most of the folks here on DSLR/BBR -- is that you guys ask the right questions, and also contribute coherent, logical (using your brains), and experience-based tips. And when you're wrong, you don't just argue nonsensical points, you instead said "Hey, can you help explain where I was wrong so I can learn?" We all keep one another in check too (about facts, etc.) which I think is fantastic -- like I said, I'm wrong quite often, and I love when someone here helps clue me in. In the end, everyone wins in some way or another, even if we can't always solve the issue.

These are the things that makes the DSLR/BBR PC/tech boards significantly better than "enthusiast" forums. Though I will admit there are some of those forums which have excellent information on them (the two I liken to here are HardOCP and SilentPCReview), they don't have the same feel; here there's almost an unspoken camaraderie.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by koitsu:

here there's almost an unspoken camaraderie.

I think we all want to learn, and not necessarily boast about how our rigs are more baddass than another. Which is fine with me.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have