join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
reply to GenNewbie

Re: Generator doesn't work with Direct Vent Hot Water Heater

said by GenNewbie :

The issue is that the electrical service and panel and water supply come in one side of the house and the furnace and hot water heater are on the opposite side near the buried propane tank, so I'd either have to run a 45 foot extension cord or 45 foot ground wire or somehow try to split the difference. By using the jumper "ground" on the HW heater I can use a 10 foot extension cord and ground wire and be on the side of the house out of the way (north side) and right outside one of those small basement sliding windows. It is very convenient to hook it up and keeps the fumes and noise away from windows and doors and length of runs for extension cord and ground wire down, which I understand to be helpful and safer?

I am very confident but not 100% sure the cooper is continuous. There is one short run of about 3 feet that I can't see but they would have had to piece something in and mixed copper and plastic which would make no sense and probably not up to code. Of course some things I do make no sense.

I gather the bare #6 copper is the ground wire of choice? Is there a suitable insulated ground wire that is acceptable. I think I've seen # 10 at Home Depot but not # 8 or #6 but I am not sure. Is the #10 OK? Thanks!!!

Number 10 is fine for your generator and it sounds very much like the water pipe jumper is a solid ground, but if I had my druthers I'd put the ground onto the panel's ground wire. Can you get a longer piece of wire?

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

said by garys_2k:

but if I had my druthers I'd put the ground onto the panel's ground wire. Can you get a longer piece of wire?

It depends what is easier/closer.
In my case, I tied my generator's grounding conductor (The one that attaches to the generator chassis) to the copper wire that exited my main panel and went to the copper pipe, using a split bolt.