spc
uniqs

Woohoo
@qwest.net

Woohoo to jcremin

Anon

to jcremin

Re: [Equipment] Wisp

jcremin, are you saying thr I should run my own fiber to MPLS? I am located in Elk River and I was thinking of leasing from either CenturyLink, Intelletrace, or Charter. A guy from Intelletrace said I can get 20Mbps for $1500 plus $1000 for install. It would make sense to get more than 20Mbps right? I don't think I'd be anywhere near breaking even with just 20Mbps to sell.

Also, I was told I should have enough bandwidth for a 6:1 ratio. Does that mean if I have 60 customers and I want to offer 10Mbps that I would need 60Mbps?

Thanks for the help

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_

MVM

said by Woohoo5:

jcremin, are you saying thr I should run my own fiber to MPLS?

You dont run anything to MPLS, its a networking technology that allows for a form of "IP network virtualisation". MPLS is ... if you will ... "the cloud" for IP routing. It can also be used as a means to provide transport like services over an existing IP network.

I think what jcremin is talking about is obtaining an MPLS based service with access ports in two locations, 1 in a POP somewhere in a large town where you have access to a large number of transit providers at a lower cost, and the other in a POP close to where you are servicing your clients.

Where MPLS comes in is that it provides you with your own virtual routed IP link between those two places (and more as required), but while allowing you to choose your own transit providers for access to the greater internet. Alternatively, the provider may use MPLS and related technologies to provide a layer 2 like cross connect between those two locations, such that it appears like a really long ethernet cable (i.e. totally transparent to you.)
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin

said by TomS_:

You dont run anything to MPLS

I knew I might create a problem just after I typed that. MPLS is also a regional abbreviation used for people (like me) who are somtimes too lazy to type out Minneapolis, Minnesota. Sorry for the confusion.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_

MVM

Ah ha!
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin

Either way, that was still a great and simple explanation of MPLS (the technology) and (if available to him) might be a better and cheaper alternative than leasing a dedicated point to point fiber.