Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jwhite4

join:2002-03-21
Philadelphia, PA
reply to tirebiter

Re: DVR Extender w/Moto Boxes

Lack of portability of the recordings is I guess an acceptable tradeoff for being able to expand recording capacity (at least to those that don't have it!).

However, if I did have it, and my DVR died, and Comcast gave me a replacement, at that time I'd wonder what's that difficult in allowing the new DVR to access the old HD. Would seem to some a LOT of complaints about "I lost all my recordings..."

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

said by jwhite4:

Lack of portability of the recordings is I guess an acceptable tradeoff for being able to expand recording capacity (at least to those that don't have it!).

However, if I did have it, and my DVR died, and Comcast gave me a replacement, at that time I'd wonder what's that difficult in allowing the new DVR to access the old HD. Would seem to some a LOT of complaints about "I lost all my recordings..."

my guess is that this restriction is likely not a technical issue but a compliance issue to be in line with copyright laws and digital rights management.

Otherwise I could just swap my hard drive with yours to share shows. Great for you and I but not so great for the person/company that actually owns the content or copyright.

jwhite4

join:2002-03-21
Philadelphia, PA

said by The Q:

...Otherwise I could just swap my hard drive with yours to share shows. Great for you and I but not so great for the person/company that actually owns the content or copyright.

Not what I said. I wouldn't think that an external HD has to be all or nothing - either it works with all DVR's, or it works with none at all. Whyc can't it work with JUST one?

When an external HD is first formatted, Comcast (or any provider) should be able to specify a unique ID code the DVR embeds in the HD, which Comcast then assosicates with that DVR. If you switch DVR's, Comcast can then updates it's database, with the new DVR asking the headend, "Am I authorized to access recordings on HD xxxxx?" If yes, it works, if not, it doesn't.

Now, if that's deemed to be too insecure, such that hackers could crack it, and access recorded media, that might be a valid reason.

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI
reply to The Q

said by The Q:

my guess is that this restriction is likely not a technical issue but a compliance issue to be in line with copyright laws and digital rights management.

Otherwise I could just swap my hard drive with yours to share shows. Great for you and I but not so great for the person/company that actually owns the content or copyright.

I've seen this argument before. Yet Dish Network allows external hdd's to be moved around with different dvrs on the same account. The hdd is associated with the account and not the specific dvr. It can be done. I suspect that cabelco dvrs are inferior to what Echostar builds and that the cabelcos don't want to bother with this model.