Search similar:

uniqs

OverrRyde
join:2007-04-10
Waterdown, ON

OverrRyde

[Internet] Help setting up Sagemcom + DDWRT 2nd router

Hello people!

I need help setting up my network for specific use, hopefully can be done. Basically what i am trying to accomplish is a unotelly.com setup at the router.

Here how it is currently setup:
Sagemcom > powerline > ddwrt router
Keep in mind Fibe TV is also a service

the Sagemcom device is currently establishing PPPOE. Then, from one of the LAN ports is connected to a powerline device, 2nd powerline device is on the 2nd floor connected to the DDWRT router which takes care of the wireless. This DDWRT router has WAN disables and used as Gateway, DHCP disabled.

I initially tried the unotelly DNS's on the Sagemcom router and it worked for all devices in the house, however, i understand that IP's may need to be updated once in a while, which we cannot have if it happens that my parents get stuck with an error msg from unotelly. I then tried to setup the DNS on the ddwrt but did not work for some reason, following unotelly instructions. It does work locally on individual machines however.

Now i was wondering what the best setup would be to have unotelly work on all devices without changing the DNS options in the Sagemcom? Do i need to bridge the devices and have the DDWRT handle the PPPOE? Would this work with the above setup mentioned? Would the LAN ports on the Sagemcom still work as one PC that is connected to the Sagemcom is used for business and need to be problem-free, it's the only device connected to the Sagemcom.

Any input would be great help! Thanks!
Bplayer
join:2012-06-28
Thornhill, ON

Bplayer

I have my sagemcom performing PPPOE so that apps on the FibeTV PVR are active (although I hardly ever use them).

My attached Tomato router (version of DDWRT) is also configured to perform PPPOE using the same username and password. Primary and secondary DNS are configured in the Tomato router and are shown as active when an ipconfig /all command is issued from a PC.

Try this configuration.

OverrRyde
Waterdown, ON

1 edit

OverrRyde

said by Bplayer:

I have my sagemcom performing PPPOE so that apps on the FibeTV PVR are active (although I hardly ever use them).

My attached Tomato router (version of DDWRT) is also configured to perform PPPOE using the same username and password. Primary and secondary DNS are configured in the Tomato router and are shown as active when an ipconfig /all command is issued from a PC.

Try this configuration.

Oh! you can do that?!

I guess i have to leave PPPOE on the sagemcom then because the Fibe TV features are used sometime, so i can't mess with that then.

However, i did not know i could establish PPPOE twice!
Do i have to reconfigure anything in the wiring? Do i leave the 2nd router connected to the LAN port or connect it to the WAN port? As in Sagemcom WAN to DDWRT LAN or WAN to WAN or LAN to LAN or LAN to WAN? wow, complicated options! lol

Now since the current setup has the DDWRT router with disabled WAN and disabled DHCP, does anything change with that too?

Thanks!
Bplayer
Thornhill, ON

Bplayer

Connect a LAN cable from one of the LAN ports of the sagemcom to the WAN port of the second router. Then log into DDWRT and adjust the configuration for PPPOE and DNS settings.

OverrRyde
Waterdown, ON

OverrRyde

Hmm tried that and it wouldnt connect for some reason. Would that still work if im using a powerline adapter between both routers?
Bplayer
Thornhill, ON

Bplayer

It should. Are there lights on your DDWRT modem that indicate the WAN is getting a signal?

Also try plugging your PC into the end of the powerline adapter that you connected to the DDWRT (instead of plugging it into the DDWRT). If the PC indicates connectivity then something is wrong with your DDWRT settings.

OverrRyde
Waterdown, ON

2 edits

OverrRyde

said by Bplayer:

It should. Are there lights on your DDWRT modem that indicate the WAN is getting a signal?

Also try plugging your PC into the end of the powerline adapter that you connected to the DDWRT (instead of plugging it into the DDWRT). If the PC indicates connectivity then something is wrong with your DDWRT settings.

Yes, WAN light was on. The only other thing maybe i can think of just now is that it needs to be on the same ip range as the Bell router? When i reset the ddwrt ti gets the default 192.168.1.1 but the bell router is on 192.168.2.1 and gives out ip's from 192.168.2.10 to 192.168.2.254

Not sure if that matters

EDIT: other than what i mentionned above, do i need to change anything in the sagemcom side of things? I notice that under network option int he sagemcom it's under VLAN, should that be changed to PPPOE or does not matter for what i am trying to accomplish?

I really hope to get this to work today and be done with! lol
Bplayer
Thornhill, ON

Bplayer

My sagemcom ip address is 192.168.2.1 and my Tomato router is 192.168.1.1 just like your.

No idea where you are seeing VLAN or PPPoE.

OverrRyde
Waterdown, ON

OverrRyde

here is where i see it, i though i saw VLAN somewhere but i might be confused with another post somewhere, ive been browsing so much trying to figure it out! lol

OverrRyde

OverrRyde

Problem resolved!

Turns out i was using the wrong PPPOE login password! Fixed my typo and all is well now!!

Thanks a lot for the help!!