Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to Dissembled

Re: Help Me Spec a Laptop for My Wife

As a fellow photographer:

•If she's shooting RAW (and she should be) the faster memory, disk and CPU are, the better.
•Get her a SSD.
•Get her AT LEAST 8GB of RAM, if not 16+.
•The kind of video work she's doing isn't complicated, but rendering is a long, long process and having fast equipment in both the CPU and GPU speed it up considerably.
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN

said by drew:

As a fellow photographer:

•If she's shooting RAW (and she should be) the faster memory, disk and CPU are, the better.
•Get her a SSD.
•Get her AT LEAST 8GB of RAM, if not 16+.
•The kind of video work she's doing isn't complicated, but rendering is a long, long process and having fast equipment in both the CPU and GPU speed it up considerably.

The GPU helps speed that up Drew? I wouldn't have thought that.

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA

The GPU helps speed up rendering in CS4/5 (and I'm sure 6): »helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/gpu···d_OpenGL

Lightroom (the popular RAW image library and editor) is NOT GPU accelerated: »forums.adobe.com/message/4171699

Most modern video renderers help offload work to the GPU as well - I forget what the technology is called but some 3-4 year old PowerDirector software I have makes use of the GPU and speeds up rendering 10-15%.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Does the fact that there's a discrete GPU mean most of the performance boost, or would a GTX 680M provide significantly more computing muscle than, say, a more modest GT 650M?
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA

I don't know, but suspicion says discreet will add more.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Both are discrete, one is a top-end gaming GPU, the other is a middle-of-the-road, all-purpose GPU.

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA

Ah, yes.

I have no idea what the answer is. I imagine the most performance benefit comes from having something to offload to and there are diminishing returns on the performance of said GPU.

Caveat: I don't know about this, I am just guessing.
--