spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SumGuy

@teksavvy.com

Did TS make a change to SMTP (port-25) policy?

We've been a TS dsl business customer for the past 3 or 4 years, and operate our own SMTP server.

Within the past day or two I've noticed that our server is having a problem sending mail out to the outside world. Some of our internal PC's use the TS out-bound SMTP server when sending mail, and some of them use our own internal SMTP server. Also, our server forwards some incoming mail to external accounts on gmail, and these in particular are not going through.

So I'm wondering if TS made a change within the last 24 - 48 hours regarding blocking port-25 for business DSL customers.

?

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24

Not that I am aware of. Let me poke internally!

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
reply to SumGuy

I have confirmed that no changes have been made. It is possible you reached the limit of recipients/hour though.

If you need anything else, let me know.

Thanks,

Andre

SumGuy

@bell.ca

Ok, I think I know what's going on. My server uses 4.2.2.2 as it's hard-coded DNS server. I have that as the primary DNS server on a few other machines, and they were having problems yesterday and I traced their problems to 4.2.2.2. When I changed the DNS on my mail server, it started working properly again.

When it was broken, it was under the impression that every out-going e-mail it was trying to send was being resolved back to itself as the destination host, and hence it was detecting that a mail-loop problem would occur if it sent mail, so it stopped sending mail to external hosts.

I use 4.2.2.2 as a generic "universal" dns because it's easy to remember, it's fast, and it has a good up-time reputation. But I suspect that the recent hurricane that hit new york might be causing some problems with the internet, and maybe it affected this dns server (or routing to it).

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com

No doubt the hurricane was the cause because 4.2.2.2 is working again.