how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hammersmith

join:2012-11-02

[Cable] noob needs help changing routers

hi,
i just got teksavvy service and first tested it by using an old router. all worked well.
then i decided to use my good asus router with tomato but can't connect.
i left the motorola sb6121 modem unplugged with the coax cable also unplugged for 30 mins. and still nothing.
it only works with the original router.
what can i do?
thanks

Old Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
kudos:33
You could always attempt the quick fix, which consists of cloning the MAC address from old router to Asus router.

hammersmith

i tried copying the other router's mac address into the new one but it didn't work.
i don't know why.
does it matter if one router was on the 192.168.1.x subnet and the other on the 192.168.3.x one?
i see an option to clone the pc address. but what about the previous router's address. i tried just copying it in and that didn't work.
is there no other way since some routers don't have the mac cloning feature?

Taylortbb
Premium
join:2007-02-18
Kitchener, ON
reply to hammersmith
Might be asking the obvious, but the new router is in DHCP mode? Not PPPoE or something from previous use on DSL.

Also, are the link lights coming on on both the modem and router? Could always be a faulty CAT5 cable if you're not using the same one.
--
Taylor Byrnes

moffa

join:2007-10-14
Ajax, ON
Reviews:
·CIKTEL Telecom
reply to hammersmith
You could also try going to 192.168.100.1 and reset the settings on the modem (which would be storing the old MAC address). It supposed to accept a max of 2 addresses though.

I would first reset the new router back to defaults and make sure the WAN is on DHCP.

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:9
reply to hammersmith
You need to release your IP before connecting the new router, the CMTS isn't going to issue you two IPs.. or wait till the lease expires.

hammersmith

how do i release the ip?
i know how to do it in windows but not on the modem.
i will try to reset the router and set it to dhcp before plugging it in.

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..
said by hammersmith:

how do i release the ip?
i know how to do it in windows but not on the modem.
i will try to reset the router and set it to dhcp before plugging it in.

Log into your router, go to WAN settings, you'll see it set to DHCP and you should have options to release/renew the IP.

hammersmith

i waited 4 hours and that did the trick ! was it necessary to unplug the power, cable, and ethernet or just the power?
do you know what the usual wait time is?
so for the future, if i want to put another router with the modem, i should release its ip first?
would i have to wait after that or could i just power cycle the modem and attach the new router?
thanks for your suggestions.

moffa

join:2007-10-14
Ajax, ON
release the IP first