pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
reply to ThaPrince

Re: [Business] [POLL] Do you have the new 15/3 or 27/7 business

ThaPrince See Profile do you have a way to see the config/boot file on your modem? Or even better, the config values?

I was given mine (I can't actually see them myself on the SMC):

quote:
Sfid Dir Curr Sid Sched Prio MaxSusRate MaxBrst MinRsvRate Throughput State Type
433 US act 209 BE 1 7700000 10000000 0 6043174
434 DS act N/A BE 1 29700000 20000000 0 3926246

--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

mario024232

@comcastbusiness.net
Unfortunately, I'm also seeing a reduced Powerboost. I'm on the 12/2 tier, and I used to get boosted speeds (on speed tests) around 80Mbps/40Mbps. Now, the boosted speeds are 21 EXACTLY and 3 EXACTLY, returning to 12/2 after the boost is done. I've called a few times and emailed the Comcast Cares department, but no one can figure out why I've lost my boosted speeds.

WheatridgeCO

@comcastbusiness.net
seems to be 27/7 in WheatRidge CO using a SMC D3G Hardware Version 1.01 / Firmware Version 1.4.0.49.7-CCR / Running in Bridged mode with 5 Static IP's thru a Cisco Pix 525

DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 203.5.76.153.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 6900 Kbps.
Downstream: 34912 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 6794 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 19491-19796 KB;
Shaping rate: 28746 Kbps.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
Looks like you're seeing the same thing as me. Can you confirm whether or not you're seeing erratic speed or if they're consistent after power boost?

Is this just a simple miscommunication between the people writing/pushing the configs for SMCs vs. non-SMCs?

Wish Comcast would address this. It's been a month now.
--

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to WheatridgeCO
said by WheatridgeCO :

SMC D3G Hardware Version 1.01 / Firmware Version 1.4.0.49.7-CCR / Running in Bridged mode with 5 Static IP's thru a Cisco Pix 525

Is this a new connection? I was not aware that Comcast allowed that configuration. I was told that you had to use an SMC gateway in gateway mode in order to get static IP addresses.

Or are you confusing not using the SMC's NAT with bridge mode. Unfortunately, that is something that a lot of uneducated (and/or unethical) Comcast CSRs seem to do, and their referring to doing that as bridge mode in turn confuses a lot of customers.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

ThaPrince

join:2002-10-13
Santa Rosa, CA
reply to pflog
Hello, I am not sure what my bootfile is as they disabled showing it in their firmware.

latest shaperprobe run a few mins ago:

DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 217.163.1.74.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 22655 Kbps.
Downstream: 99462 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Upstream: Burst size: 9383-9925 KB;
Shaping rate: 7429 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 18865-20467 KB;
Shaping rate: 28728 Kbps.

For more information, visit: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe

I think PB is tied into how congested your node/head end is though. If your on a more congested node you may get less PB as i was under the impression that PB used free capacity at the head end.

I happen to live in a fairly rural area, so I think my head end isn't too packed.

muranternet

join:2009-10-19
Saint Paul, MN
reply to pflog
I seem to be on 16/3 from 12/2 in St Paul, MN, but I'm going through my annual cold-weather-shift packet loss extravaganza so I will have to wait to probe.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to ThaPrince
said by ThaPrince:

I think PB is tied into how congested your node/head end is though. If your on a more congested node you may get less PB as i was under the impression that PB used free capacity at the head end.

I happen to live in a fairly rural area, so I think my head end isn't too packed.

Prior to this speed upgrade, I was seeing 70+ Mbps downstream powerboost and like 30+ upstream powerboost. I don't think my node is congested at all.
--

WheatRidgeCO

@comcastbusiness.net
reply to NetFixer
Quoted:
Is this a new connection? I was not aware that Comcast allowed that configuration. I was told that you had to use an SMC gateway in gateway mode in order to get static IP addresses.
Or are you confusing not using the SMC's NAT with bridge mode. Unfortunately, that is something that a lot of uneducated (and/or unethical) Comcast CSRs seem to do, and their referring to doing that as bridge mode in turn confuses a lot of customers.
End Quote:

Well the operating mode says RG, which is gateway, but I am not using the Nat'ed addresses. Its local DHCP says 10.1.10.1 and thats the address I used to get into the web interface, but I use our real IP addresses on the PIX, and they pass thru all traffic, I did see that Disable Firewall for True Static IP Subnet Only &
Disable Gateway Smart Packet Detection have check marks. Strange thing , we actually can use all six ip addresses! (with a wireless router attached to one of the ports directly, not on the otherside of the PIX, I get the .30 address. .25 thru .29 pass to the pix just fine. I have the pix configured static and use a windows box for our lan side DHCP configs. Works like a champ.
Is this why peeps are complaining about the gateway mode, are they using some cheeseball router and not setting up the real IP addresses using static configs. Never use DHCP to get an IP address from a SMCD3G, just put in the real ip address into the router. and then Nat your network. Much simpler way to change the WAN side configs without ever changing the LAN side. (I guess they dont want to use a REAL router that actually protects your network.)

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to pflog
Well I'm being told I have the following options:

- drop my static IP addresses and get a residential modem
- use an ancient Netgear device that doesn't even do DOCSIS 3.0
- "deal with it"

None of these are acceptable options in my opinion.

Can someone who works with these devices PLEASE explain why:

- the SMC D3G can handle a 22/5 profile and powerboost of 60+ Mbps down and 30+ Mbps up
- but can NOT handle 27/7 properly

This makes no sense. I wish my contact in business escalations was still in that department.
--

biomesh
Premium
join:2006-07-08
Tomball, TX
Could the issue possibly lie in the SMC firmware on how it handles bonded channels?

If you switch to 50/10 profile for a day, does it look the same?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
said by biomesh:

Could the issue possibly lie in the SMC firmware on how it handles bonded channels?

If you switch to 50/10 profile for a day, does it look the same?

I suppose I could call business support and ask them to bump me up and/or down to test that theory.

I don't see why it would be working 100% reliably on 22/5 but 27/7 somehow causes it to crap out?

I don't know who at Comcast owns these config files or how to get them to look at them, but that's a good idea, I will call them. I'll probably wind up being billed for a full month of 50/10 if I do this though.
--

biomesh
Premium
Tomball, TX
I have done this in the past and you will only be charged for the time you use each specific tier. So if you use it for one day, the 50/10 tier will cost you $3 extra over the 27/7.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
said by biomesh:

I have done this in the past and you will only be charged for the time you use each specific tier. So if you use it for one day, the 50/10 tier will cost you $3 extra over the 27/7.

Was this residential or business class? I'm not sure if the same applies, being in a contract and all. But still a great idea, going to give them a call now.
--

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
Let me know what you find out.

biomesh
Premium
Tomball, TX
reply to pflog
With residential they like to charge $2 change fees. With business class you can change tiers with no extra charge. Just as long as you retain business class service, you are okay and will remain in contract. Just call in and talk to a tech rep to see what your options are.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

So he said I can bump to 50/10, but they will charge my $6+ (so I'm paying for both.

He then went on to ask me what the problem was, and he said something like "the DNS server is not set, I will enable that and it will fix your problem".

Naturally, it didn't fix the problem. Then he asks where I'm testing from and I tell him various mirrors and he tells me "engineering requires you to test from speedtest.comcast.net to get an accurate speed result". SIGH, and I was just talking about how the business class support reps were more knowledgeable.
--

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to ropeguru
Click for full size
50/10 downloads are normal
said by ropeguru:

IO graph from the 50/10 profile. A few minor blips, but basically working properly.

Yet MORE evidence that the 27/7 profile is FUBAR. Now when will Comcast admit it?
--

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to pflog
said by pflog:

He then went on to ask me what the problem was, and he said something like "the DNS server is not set, I will enable that and it will fix your problem".

I've gotten that same advice too, and also have been told that the SMC gateway will not even work unless you enable its DHCP server, and that the SMC gateway's 1-1 NAT was the only way you could use your static IP addresses.

said by pflog:

Naturally, it didn't fix the problem. Then he asks where I'm testing from and I tell him various mirrors and he tells me "engineering requires you to test from speedtest.comcast.net to get an accurate speed result". SIGH, and I was just talking about how the business class support reps were more knowledgeable.

While the ratio of real techs to script readers is better with business class, it's still the luck of the draw when you call for support.
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
But yet they advertise as a "Business Class" service, charge business prices yet will not treat you like a business customer.

Typical of Comcast.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
reply to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

While the ratio of real techs to script readers is better with business class, it's still the luck of the draw when you call for support.

There was a noticeable drop in quality of rep when they centralized business support. The local Minneapolis support team was awesome, back when they existed.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to pflog
I believe I misunderstood the person about the Netgear they mentioned.

It sounds like it could be a new device I guess? It wouldn't make sense for them to offer the Netgear 8013/8014, since neither of them is DOCSIS 3 capable and I doubt they could do 27/7 reliably.
--

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
Netgear does have a commercial grade DOCSIS 3 cable gateway box:
»www.netgear.com/service-provider···CR.aspx#

Not much information on the Netgear web site since it is apparently only sold to service providers, so Netgear doesn't feel that there is a need for potential end users to know very much about it.
--

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
FWIW, that device does not yet appear to be on their *Approved Modems List*.

biomesh
Premium
Tomball, TX
said by EG:

It has for the last few days:

»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/device.···so=&sc=0

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

reply to EG
said by EG:

True, but there are no Netgear modems or gateways on the business class approved modems list, and apparently someone from Comcast has proposed using a Netgear box to solve the problem being seen by pflog.

It is possible that this Netgear box may be under testing and consideration as a replacement for the SMCD3G-CCR which is apparently not being very cooperative in working with Comcast's native IPv4/IPv6 dual stack.
--

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to biomesh
said by biomesh:

said by EG:

It has for the last few days:

»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/device.···so=&sc=0

Yep, I had to refresh my browser's cache to get it to show up in the main business class list, but it is now on the approved list. Strange that it does not yet appear to support IPv6; I would have thought that would have been a high priority requirement for a new device on the approved list.
--

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to biomesh
Thanks for the correction. I will assume that they then have a configuration file for it so that it functions on their system ?

GusHerb94

join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to pflog
I rebooted the SMCD3G at our shop today and we have the new speed!:

"Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 3978 Kbps.
Downstream: 20856 Kbps.

The measurement will last for about 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Upstream: Burst size: 7060-7098 KB; Shaping rate: 3173 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 9899-10028 KB; Shaping rate: 17024 Kbps.

For more information, visit: »www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe
logout

[Process completed] "

Looks like it's 17/3 for us! Also one thing I noticed is that the Powerboost is no longer unthrottled, before i was getting up to 50 MBps upload with PB

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

said by WheatridgeCO :

SMC D3G Hardware Version 1.01 / Firmware Version 1.4.0.49.7-CCR / Running in Bridged mode with 5 Static IP's thru a Cisco Pix 525

He means "true static" mode - that's normal with static IPs - its the same config I use with my static IPs
--
My place : »www.schettino.us