spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DocOc

@comcast.net

Gas Company Late Fee

I live in a community that is served by one particular propane company. Cant have any another.

They recently raised their late fees to $36.00 , which I think is outrageous.

I have never seen such a high late fee on anything. Isnt there some kind of cap or something?

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4

1 recommendation

Don't pay late and it wont be an issue.

Mittvok
Premium
join:2008-12-18
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to DocOc

said by DocOc :

I live in a community that is served by one particular propane company. Cant have any another.

They recently raised their late fees to $36.00 , which I think is outrageous.

I have never seen such a high late fee on anything. Isnt there some kind of cap or something?

They cap it at $47. The more late you are the more you pay. Next time you're late, just be MEGA late. No biggie.

talz13

join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH
reply to hitachi369

said by hitachi369:

Don't pay late and it wont be an issue.

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2
reply to DocOc

I always love it when people bitch about late fees. And overdraft charges, that's another good one. Pay your bills on time and only spend what you earn and you won't have to deal with those fees.

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state

said by thegeek:

I always love it when people bitch about late fees. And overdraft charges, that's another good one. Pay your bills on time and only spend what you earn and you won't have to deal with those fees.

ever heard of Identity Theft or Credit Card theft?
--
No Victim=No Crime

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

One should have redundancies and contingencies in place. To put all of your eggs in one basket is foolish. I have more than one checking account, more than one credit card. If one or many are compromised I would be able to satisfy my obligations.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to billydunwood

Or sudden medical issues along with sudden job loss... ? Yea - a bunch of valid reasons and no one knows the OP.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

At that point assuming you have liquidated all of your assets, the late payment for the gas is the least of your worries.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to billydunwood

said by billydunwood:

said by thegeek:

Sure and people tend to get some slack cut to them for that. Which has nothing to do with the OP's issue. So they were rightfully served with the fee.

When does someone not being able to handle money turn into identity or credit card theft?
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

Intoxicoded

join:2011-05-02
USA

Not everyone is able to pay their bills on time. People that have a weekly income or a bi weekly income are in a better state to do so. Your people that get paid monthly, ie management seniors and retiree's and disabled are not.
Its not easy to get a utility company to make their statements and due dates due on the day you get paid or before the time you get paid. I've seen people wrangle with Power Companies trying to buy 2 to 3 days, Because their bill is due and their checks have not come in.
Simply calling them and telling them I get paid on this certain date and I need my bill to be due around it is not easy, enless you make it clear from the get go, which many people forget.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to Cthen

quote:
Which has nothing to do with the OP's issue. So they were rightfully served with the fee.
Hmmmm - I don't see where they said they were served with one - both of your 'points' are guesses at then very least.

The OP never said they got the fee or they just decided not to pay or was overextended. Some people pay attention to the potential fees.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to DocOc

said by DocOc :

Depends on state laws. The idea of a high late fee is to try and prevent people from paying late.
--
Brian

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to CylonRed

I bet if there was a little competition in the market the fees would be reasonable.

Of course in the United States it is illegal to collude to avoid competition. You should contact the Attorney General and go all Sherman on the company.

Or you could start a company that sells unlimited gas for $1/month and charges a late fee of $10,000 for every day it is late.
--
[i]IF YOU THINK THE STORM IS OVER-HYPED AND EXAGGERATED, PLEASE ERR
ON THE SIDE OF CAUTION.[/i]
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

DocOC

@comcast.net
reply to CylonRed

said by CylonRed:

quote:
Which has nothing to do with the OP's issue. So they were rightfully served with the fee.
Hmmmm - I don't see where they said they were served with one - both of your 'points' are guesses at then very least.

The OP never said they got the fee or they just decided not to pay or was overextended. Some people pay attention to the potential fees.

Lol. Exactly. I love the people who jump right to "Well dont be late"

Not always that easy. Some people live week to week, check to check. Shit happens sometimes.

Point is, that is the largest late fee I have ever seen for any bill. I was just curious if there were laws regarding this.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

switch to a regulated utility, and you should be OK.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

1 recommendation

reply to Intoxicoded

said by Intoxicoded:

Not everyone is able to pay their bills on time. People that have a weekly income or a bi weekly income are in a better state to do so.

What difference does it make if you get paid weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly (assuming the total monthly income is the same)?

If you get paid on a less frequent basis, you just have to manage your finances such that you set money aside for when the bills come in. It's not rocket science.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

I guess as opposed to a regular paycheck.

Intoxicoded

join:2011-05-02
USA
reply to TheMG

Evidently you didn't read my whole post. How many utility companies do you know, that will give you a bill date exactly the day you get paid? Not many and people in a weekly situation can save towards it or pay it before the due date. as opposed to the ones with monthly income have to wait intill one date for money.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Intoxicoded

Pro-tip: Don't blow your entire paycheck when you get paid monthly and you know you are going to have bills due in 3-4 weeks.

gateguy
Premium
join:2001-02-12
Reisterstown, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to thegeek

Many moons ago (way before this internet fad ), we had 4 or 5 checks bounce. Now we had more than enough money in the bank, according to our records around $400.

So we had bounce check fees, late fees and overdraft fees.

When we finally got to the root cause, it was Sears encoding the amount to be paid incorrectly. The check was clearly written for $80, they had the mechanized printing showing $800.

The end result is Sears did clear everything up, paid all fees and actually wrote letters to the merchants explaining the situation.

Had we not been able to twist Sear's arm (I was threatening them with Navy legal) I would have been stuck with all those fees.
--
Time for a new message.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to DocOC

said by DocOC :

said by CylonRed:

quote:

Not always that easy. Some people live week to week, check to check. Shit happens sometimes.

Does this bill just come out of no where? No warning at all, just swoops in whenever the gas company decides? Because even living week by week, gives you plenty of time to plan for these regular bills. You know your going to get a power bill, you know you are going to get a water bill you know you have to pay rent. Hell you probably know when each one of these events are going to take place. What you do is create a budget, this is what is coming in, this is what is going out. As long as your income doesn't exceed your expenses you are fine. If your expenses exceed your income, you need to adjust your lifestyle.

As for the amount of the fee, I have seen much larger. I have seen monthly late fees over 250$ dollars before.
--
STOP THE NSA WIRETAPS

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security
~Benjamin Franklin

billydunwood

united state
reply to Cthen

said by Cthen:

said by billydunwood:

said by thegeek:

Sure and people tend to get some slack cut to them for that. Which has nothing to do with the OP's issue. So they were rightfully served with the fee.

When does someone not being able to handle money turn into identity or credit card theft?

Let's see. I was replying to The Geek, not the OP. He said if you pay your bills on time and don't overspend, you won't have late fees.
If somebody steals your identity or credit card, and wipes your account(not your fault), how are you supposed to pay your bills? You might get a late fee, or overdraft fee if your bank covers it. Sure you might get it back eventually, but you will still have to deal with it. It's not always as simple as pay your bill and you never have to deal with it.
--
No Victim=No Crime

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3

said by billydunwood:

Let's see. I was replying to The Geek, not the OP. He said if you pay your bills on time and don't overspend, you won't have late fees.
If somebody steals your identity or credit card, and wipes your account(not your fault), how are you supposed to pay your bills? You might get a late fee, or overdraft fee if your bank covers it. Sure you might get it back eventually, but you will still have to deal with it. It's not always as simple as pay your bill and you never have to deal with it.

Yes, and if your plane crashes in the ocean and you get stranded on a deserted island, then all your bills will be late and you'll be hit with a late payment.

thegeek See Profile wasn't talking about events that are outside of the control of the person. He was talking about how people manage their own finances.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

billydunwood

united state

said by Rob:

said by billydunwood:

Yes, and if your plane crashes in the ocean and you get stranded on a deserted island, then all your bills will be late and you'll be hit with a late payment.

thegeek See Profile wasn't talking about events that are outside of the control of the person. He was talking about how people manage their own finances.

He said if you pay your bills on time and you don't overspend, you won't deal with late/overdraft fees. I am pointing out that isn't always the case, as there are things outside a person's control like theft.
--
No Victim=No Crime

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL

1 recommendation

said by billydunwood:

said by Rob:

said by billydunwood:

He said if you pay your bills on time and you don't overspend, you won't deal with late/overdraft fees. I am pointing out that isn't always the case, as there are things outside a person's control like theft.

Exactly. If you pay your bills on time, and don't overspend, you won't have to deal with late or overdraft fees.
--

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

What is a hurricane blows through and I can't find my checkbook in the wreckage?

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL

1 recommendation

said by AVD:

What is a hurricane blows through and I can't find my checkbook in the wreckage?

Chances are your bank offers free bill pay service.
--

ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium
join:2007-09-14
USA
reply to DocOc

Propane company we had when living in South Dakota had a late fee of 50$, which had to be paid prior to refill and at that time, you would have to pay 10% of fill up. If late again, another late fee (Which I can't recall price) and then would have to prepay at 50% before fill up.