Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Intoxicoded

Re: Gas Company Late Fee

Pro-tip: Don't blow your entire paycheck when you get paid monthly and you know you are going to have bills due in 3-4 weeks.

gateguy
Premium
join:2001-02-12
Reisterstown, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to thegeek
Many moons ago (way before this internet fad ), we had 4 or 5 checks bounce. Now we had more than enough money in the bank, according to our records around $400.

So we had bounce check fees, late fees and overdraft fees.

When we finally got to the root cause, it was Sears encoding the amount to be paid incorrectly. The check was clearly written for $80, they had the mechanized printing showing $800.

The end result is Sears did clear everything up, paid all fees and actually wrote letters to the merchants explaining the situation.

Had we not been able to twist Sear's arm (I was threatening them with Navy legal) I would have been stuck with all those fees.
--
Time for a new message.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4
reply to DocOC
said by DocOC :

said by CylonRed:

quote:
Which has nothing to do with the OP's issue. So they were rightfully served with the fee.
Hmmmm - I don't see where they said they were served with one - both of your 'points' are guesses at then very least.

The OP never said they got the fee or they just decided not to pay or was overextended. Some people pay attention to the potential fees.

Not always that easy. Some people live week to week, check to check. Shit happens sometimes.

Does this bill just come out of no where? No warning at all, just swoops in whenever the gas company decides? Because even living week by week, gives you plenty of time to plan for these regular bills. You know your going to get a power bill, you know you are going to get a water bill you know you have to pay rent. Hell you probably know when each one of these events are going to take place. What you do is create a budget, this is what is coming in, this is what is going out. As long as your income doesn't exceed your expenses you are fine. If your expenses exceed your income, you need to adjust your lifestyle.

As for the amount of the fee, I have seen much larger. I have seen monthly late fees over 250$ dollars before.
--
STOP THE NSA WIRETAPS

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security
~Benjamin Franklin

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
kudos:2
reply to Cthen
said by Cthen:

said by billydunwood:

said by thegeek:

I always love it when people bitch about late fees. And overdraft charges, that's another good one. Pay your bills on time and only spend what you earn and you won't have to deal with those fees.

ever heard of Identity Theft or Credit Card theft?

Sure and people tend to get some slack cut to them for that. Which has nothing to do with the OP's issue. So they were rightfully served with the fee.

When does someone not being able to handle money turn into identity or credit card theft?

Let's see. I was replying to The Geek, not the OP. He said if you pay your bills on time and don't overspend, you won't have late fees.
If somebody steals your identity or credit card, and wipes your account(not your fault), how are you supposed to pay your bills? You might get a late fee, or overdraft fee if your bank covers it. Sure you might get it back eventually, but you will still have to deal with it. It's not always as simple as pay your bill and you never have to deal with it.
--
No Victim=No Crime

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by billydunwood:

Let's see. I was replying to The Geek, not the OP. He said if you pay your bills on time and don't overspend, you won't have late fees.
If somebody steals your identity or credit card, and wipes your account(not your fault), how are you supposed to pay your bills? You might get a late fee, or overdraft fee if your bank covers it. Sure you might get it back eventually, but you will still have to deal with it. It's not always as simple as pay your bill and you never have to deal with it.

Yes, and if your plane crashes in the ocean and you get stranded on a deserted island, then all your bills will be late and you'll be hit with a late payment.

thegeek See Profile wasn't talking about events that are outside of the control of the person. He was talking about how people manage their own finances.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
said by Rob:

said by billydunwood:

Yes, and if your plane crashes in the ocean and you get stranded on a deserted island, then all your bills will be late and you'll be hit with a late payment.

thegeek See Profile wasn't talking about events that are outside of the control of the person. He was talking about how people manage their own finances.

He said if you pay your bills on time and you don't overspend, you won't deal with late/overdraft fees. I am pointing out that isn't always the case, as there are things outside a person's control like theft.
--
No Victim=No Crime

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by billydunwood:

said by Rob:

said by billydunwood:

He said if you pay your bills on time and you don't overspend, you won't deal with late/overdraft fees. I am pointing out that isn't always the case, as there are things outside a person's control like theft.

Exactly. If you pay your bills on time, and don't overspend, you won't have to deal with late or overdraft fees.
--

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
What is a hurricane blows through and I can't find my checkbook in the wreckage?

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by AVD:

What is a hurricane blows through and I can't find my checkbook in the wreckage?

Chances are your bank offers free bill pay service.
--

ebgbjo
Sewing is cheaper than therapy
Premium
join:2007-09-14
USA
reply to DocOc
Propane company we had when living in South Dakota had a late fee of 50$, which had to be paid prior to refill and at that time, you would have to pay 10% of fill up. If late again, another late fee (Which I can't recall price) and then would have to prepay at 50% before fill up.

disconnected

@snet.net
reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

Or sudden medical issues along with sudden job loss... ? Yea - a bunch of valid reasons and no one knows the OP.

Or an unexpected sharp rise in property taxes...

DocOc

@comcast.net
reply to DocOc
People,

I understand the mantra "Dont be late and you wont have to worry about it"

Thats all fine and good, but are ginormous late fees by companies the right thing?

Why not a $500 late fee? The area is only served by one company, so why not?

DocOc

@comcast.net
reply to Xioden
said by Xioden:

Pro-tip: Don't blow your entire paycheck when you get paid monthly and you know you are going to have bills due in 3-4 weeks.

That is genius advice. Who would have thought?
Expand your moderator at work

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON
reply to DocOc

Re: Gas Company Late Fee

Depending on tha amount of the bill, the late fee may be subject to usury laws.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
depends on state law.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to DocOc
when it comes to bills the thing I always find odd is that Capital One says payment cut off is 5pm Eastern(they do not seem to make exceptions for people not here in Eastern time.) Yet Verizon Wireless considers all payments made up until 11:59pm local to be on time.

strangely enough my car loan payments have a variance window because if the due date falls any time on a weekend they accept it on business days before and after the weekend.(seems servers get the weekends off too in the banking world, but at least PNC has a payment window.)
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

OHN

join:2003-02-05
Appleton, WI
reply to Intoxicoded
I dont know about this one. I used to have the same problem but that was because I did not have my priorities straight. All I had to do was one pay period tighten the belt and that gave me leverage to always pay my bills on time if not ahead of time going forward.

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
said by OHN:

I did not have my priorities straight.

If only millions more people could realize this.