Nevermind...

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by bobjohnson:

I thought they were installing Metro E on these?

They are. Nearest fiber is located at the node. So they'll run fiber to my house and I'll get an ethernet handoff from the 3931.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson

Premium Member

I edited my post... I didn't think about it being residential... Thanks for the reply...

ActiveOpto
@lstn.net

ActiveOpto to whfsdude

Anon

to whfsdude
said by whfsdude:

They are. Nearest fiber is located at the node. So they'll run fiber to my house and I'll get an ethernet handoff from the 3931.

I believe the fiber connection that serves the Ciena 3931 Carrier Ethernet switch is actually a P2P active ethernet line that basically extends the metro ethernet ports at the Comcast office right till the door of your home.

From the datasheet provided by Ciena, the 3931 has 4XGE RJ45 ports. 1 is being used to service your CPE.

Considering if your neighbors would order another 305 package, will Comcast use the other remaining ports in the same 3931 on your door?

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by ActiveOpto :

Considering if your neighbors would order another 305 package, will Comcast use the other remaining ports in the same 3931 on your door?

Also has 4 sfp ports. I will be providing power for the unit though so I don't think that would be a good idea.

However, I bet they put up a splice box on my pole as to extend fiber deeper into their network. Although I'm close enough to the node they might not.
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse to ActiveOpto

to ActiveOpto
municipalities will not allow Comcast to run Ethernet from another house into his house to plug into his Ciena ports even if there are 2 extra open ones... it's just now allowed they can only go from utility to CPE not from CPE to CPE plus that would mean he could take down the neighbors connection on demand... another no no

ActiveOpto
@lstn.net

ActiveOpto to whfsdude

Anon

to whfsdude
said by whfsdude:

However, I bet they put up a splice box on my pole as to extend fiber deeper into their network. Although I'm close enough to the node they might not.

Yes, that will make it convenient for the drops and further troubleshooting.They'll probably splice a pigtail the pull a drop down to your 3931 switch.

It's going to be a P2P connection from a nearby Comcast office that houses the Metro Ethernet switches.

However I don't understand why would Comcast would not just do GEPON with very low splits to maintain good QoS. It's still cheaper to put a small OLT at the headend, feed it with 10GE and give every subscriber a good indoor ONT. It can also handle RF if needed.

Thanks for the clarification.
ActiveOpto

ActiveOpto to neufuse

Anon

to neufuse
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I somewhat had the idea that Comcast was actually supplying the power for the switch just like the idea of the MDU located under the basement of an apartment.

The Ciena carrier ethernet service switches can actually be upgraded to support 10GE for future needs. For a small apartment buildings with less than 8 tenants, it's cost effective to place a multi family switch and pull ethernet cables to each unit if needed.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA to ActiveOpto

Premium Member

to ActiveOpto
Why bother when they already have Metro-E and HFC infrastructure. No need to re-invent the wheel here.

scooby
Premium Member
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL

scooby

Premium Member

Joining this really late but what is the expected cap going to be on 305/65? I'm curious if the OP has something in writing that Comcast won't put the cap back to 300GB?

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

The 305/65 tier has no data allowance/cap:
»Comcast's 305 Mbps Tier Has No Cap -- For Now [45] comments

See this thread for more details on this tier: »Extreme 305