Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

furance to generator

I have a friend here who is going to be without power until maybe middle of next week and he does not have any heat, he does not care much about the fridge.

Anyways I'm trying to get more info in how the furnace is connected

but something like this will work?

»tracemypreps.com/2012/01 ··· nerator/

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

Didn't watch the video, but from what I read, yes. I've also seen cases where a switched "duplex outlet" (where one of the "outlets" has a switch that controls the other outlet, satisfying the requirement for a local switch to disconnect it. Not really necessary as you could just unplug it as well.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Only thing in his video I assume the breaker was disconnected? He did not really say much about how from the breaker panel it was connected.
Subaru

Subaru

Premium Member

Ok I just spoke to him so it's wired direct to the breaker box

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to Subaru

MVM

to Subaru
said by Subaru:

Only thing in his video I assume the breaker was disconnected? He did not really say much about how from the breaker panel it was connected.

You would want to install the outlet with the breaker off obviously. All that this setup is doing is making a normally hard wired furnace into a corded appliance no different than a coffee maker, vacuum cleaner, or TV. It's also installing an outlet next to the furnace which it will normally run off of.

When a power outage happens, you just unplug the furnace from the wall socket that has no power, into an extension cord that's hooked up to a generator. No worries about transfer switches, interlocks, back feeding the grid, etc.

This setup also makes it handy as a quick disconnect for the furnace but still gives you an outlet nearby for a vacuum, a light, etc to work on a furnace should the need arise.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Ah.. wow really simple the first video was a bit long the 2nd is to the point..

In the event that a area is not near by to mount the box what should I do? I've seen crazy installs in which they were not mounted to anything.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Where does the wire come from?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

1 edit

Subaru

Premium Member

huh? think of it as being a plug heater but not movable..

it's nothing but pigtailing it

So on normal line power you plug it in and that it, when you need a heat and no power unplug the cord and plug the heater in the generator.

*EDIT I can return the stuff to home depot since he called me and told me he got his power back.