join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

[House&Home] Still no power, but Comcast works!

Yesterday Sears had a 6,000 hand pull generator in stock for $849, I bought it. Upon our return home, a Comcast crew was repairing damaged lines on our street. We had Comcast as of early evening yesterday.

Our home is VOIP, so we could make calls for the first time using our "normal" house phones. At the bottom of the street is a city owned lot that has trees that have caused about 75% of our power outages.

Our street was blocked as of Monday at about 1 PM when a city tree fell across the street taking power down. On Tuesday after Danbury couldn't estimate a clearing of the street time, 3 men on our street cut down the fallen tree and moved it to the side, to permit access to the street.

Today Danbury came to pick up the logs our neighbors cut, and cut power (and Comcast) wires, to protect us.

Yup, yesterday Comcast fixed our service, today Danbury cut the lines, to protect us.

After calling Comcast our line was repaired in about 4 hours. 3 homes on our street (including mine) are Comcast business.

The incompetence of this clean up after a tropical storm is amazing. I'm glad Sears had an over priced generator on sale, it's been a big help. However, my town, and CL&P seem to be in a self induced fog that won't lift.

Today (Friday) Danbury drops by to pick
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1

1 edit

When we were on generator power for 9 days last year, at some point I plugged in the TV and the cable box and was amused to find Comcast was up and running normally.

They may not know how to keep signal levels correct or ground a drop, but they seem to do a nice job restoring service after storms.

I have POTS and [non-AT&T] DSL here. Never lost it during Irene, the Snowpocalypse or Sandy. My corded phone always works, with or without power. I was looking at weather radar last year from the time power went out until the time I set up the generator by turning the UPS on and running my laptop on battery when I needed Internet.

pandora
Premium
Outland

Our power came back a few minutes ago. Glad to have it back!

bennor
Premium
join:2006-07-22
New Haven, CT
reply to pandora

Got this via email from Comcast (Xfinity) on Monday around 1:50pm...
---------------------------------
Dear Comcast Customer,

We want you to know that we care about you and your family during this time and we will be here for you if you need us.

Comcast is diligently tracking and preparing for Hurricane Sandy so that we are equipped to serve you. As Hurricane Sandy approaches the Eastern Seaboard, those of you who are located in the impacted areas may experience a loss of one or more of your Comcast services due to the severe weather conditions. If you experience a service outage due to the storm, please remember:

• Commercial power must be restored to your home to power your cable box and modem before your video, phone and internet services can begin working again.

• Only after power lines are repaired in your area can Comcast technicians obtain access to repair any network damage the storm might have caused.

• After the storm, our broadband network will alert us to the areas affected by a system outage.

• It is possible and quite likely that during hurricane recovery, not all services will be restored at the same time and there are times when you will need to report service interruptions.

To learn more about when you should call us to report service outages, click here. For outage updates and important information about your Comcast service, please visit www.comcast.com from any mobile device. You can also use our free text alert service to check for outages in your area. For more information about text alerts, please visit www.comcast.com/alerts.

We hope you and your family remain safe during this weather occurrence.

Sincerely,

Comcast Customer Service

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

Last night, before the power came back, a Comcast crew came to my door. They wanted to let me know there would be a new run of cable to my home. As they were re-wiring my street, they noted several houses with degraded feeds, mine was one of them.

The cable wasn't up to snuff, and it was rerun.

Preventative maintenance to a customer home by Comcast ... that is something I don't think CL&P will ever be guilty of.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"