how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA
reply to Rob

Re: Should also reduce fraud..

Cellphone insurance isn't worth a rat's ass! I paid Verizon for handset insurance for 3 years, and when my phone took a dunk in the toilet, the insurance didn't cover squat. I had to pay for a new phone, which they said I would get back after sending in a rebate form, only the model number of the phone they sold me wasn't covered for the rebate.

I think the database should be online and open to everyone. That way, you can check the IMEI before handing over money to someone selling a phone on craigslist. It would cost the cell providers less by eliminating the need to call and tie up their phone reps to find out if a phone is listed as stolen.

On the down side, what is to stop the cell providers from listing someone's old phone once they upgrade to a new one, even if the old one hasn't been stolen? By turning the old phone into a brick, they could force people to buy new phones to get service.

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2
said by 8744675:

On the down side, what is to stop the cell providers from listing someone's old phone once they upgrade to a new one, even if the old one hasn't been stolen? By turning the old phone into a brick, they could force people to buy new phones to get service.

That was my thought as well. I could definitely see Verizon doing this.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to 8744675
said by 8744675:

That might be an issue, but I doubt the Big 4 would do that. It would murder their reputation.

Another issue might be people reporting your phone stolen when it isn't, just to cause you some grief. Say an ex-boyfriend or girlfriend looking to make your life miserable.
--
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-platform_home/
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-plat···onalism/

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
said by FFH5:

Another issue might be people reporting your phone stolen when it isn't, just to cause you some grief. Say an ex-boyfriend or girlfriend looking to make your life miserable.

That's what I was thinking. This could be abused in so many ways.

You could go further, and get even with your ex-boss with the right information.

Tobester

join:2000-11-14
San Francisco, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to 8744675
said by 8744675:

I can't think the cellphone providers would want to do this since most everyone keeps their old phones as a backup device.

plat2on1

join:2002-08-21
Hopewell Junction, NY
reply to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by 8744675:

That might be an issue, but I doubt the Big 4 would do that. It would murder their reputation.

if they are able to report your phone stolen they would be able to cancel your account entirely. seems like a non issue to me.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to Simba7
My guess is you have to file a police report.

If you file a fake police report it's a slam dunk win in a civil case if the victim sues you.

A guy I used to work with was once arrested after his neighbor filed a false police report. He spent the night in jail, and then was able to prove his innocence and the charges were dropped. He filed a civil suit against the neighbor and got a nice judgement.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to Tobester
Once your out of contract or fulfilled your contract it I'm sure the providers will not only let you unlock your phone but provide you a clean IMEI from that point on. The thing is those people who dont fill out there contract and skip out on it 1/2 way through if they don't pay the ETF there phones IMEI may/will be put on the block list.

This may also change the current rules carriers have for ETF, they may also add on a prorated $ amount on top of the current ETF to cover the phone subsidy as well. dont pay the ETF and prorated phone subsidy amount? phone gets IMEI banned as well.

This can go so many ways...

buddahbless

join:2005-03-21
Premium
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to plat2on1
Most people report there phones stolen and file police reports because the big 4 are usually lenient if you come to them with a police report and will hand you a free phone, NOW It wont be new ( or the 600 brand new iphone) you lost but they will supply you with a used refurbished 1-2 generation older smartphone (iphone).
I had A friend in NY whos car was broken into the thief saw his Iphone 4s in the cupholder broke the back glass and took the phone only and left the cash that was in the glovebox! He filed a police report took it to ATT and they gave him A used (refurb) Iphone 4 free.

That alone may get a lot of people to file a police report, just to evade purchasing a new phone even if they lost it and it was not stolen.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to thegeek
said by thegeek:

said by 8744675:

wouldnt that be kind of like fraud? they cant say a phone is stolen when it really isnt. Not to mention, when you upgrade a phone they arent taking your old phone.
--
| map your city |

HardwareGeek

join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY
reply to thegeek
Actually it is open to everyone, before you buy the phone get the IMEI and call the provider you wish to activate it with. Do you not check the carfax when you buy a car first?
--
Email/MSN: Michael at hardwaregeeks.comAIM: MikeR35292

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to thegeek
said by thegeek:

said by 8744675:

No, no, and no.

There is, and has been, a blacklist for stolen and lost phones with VZW. Once an ESN/MEID is on the list, the phone cannot be activated. This is a core part of VZW's anti-fraud efforts, and it amazes me that AT&T is only getting to it now.

And stop talking out your ass - only phones lost or stolen are on the list. When you upgrade your phone, you own it legally. Sheesh.

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium
join:2009-01-01
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1
reply to thegeek
I only see them doing this if you break the contract without paying the ETF. Sending people to collections is a pain in the ass. Making their phone a paperweight is an easy motivator.

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium
join:2009-01-01
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1
reply to HardwareGeek
A large portion of people don't even check ESNs on CDMA phones. Most people don't check IMEI phones on phones they buy.

In the ideal world, people would. In our world.. people don't know the difference between an HTC and an S3 half the time.

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to pcdebb
said by pcdebb:

said by thegeek:

said by 8744675:

wouldnt that be kind of like fraud? they cant say a phone is stolen when it really isnt. Not to mention, when you upgrade a phone they arent taking your old phone.

Try and prove it. Verizon has time and money.