dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« Should also reduce fraud..
This is a sub-selection from Good idea...

PhoenixAZ
Get A Mac
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Phoenix, AZ

PhoenixAZ to silbaco

Premium Member

to silbaco

Re: Good idea...

said by silbaco:

This is a good idea to stop criminals from using them, but I don't think it makes up for the lack or personal responsibility. How many phones are truly stolen versus simply lost, falsely reported stolen, or poorly looked after? For someone to steal my phone they would have to actually take it out of my pocket or break into my house and have the slight chance of me not having it with me. Both are unlikely scenarios. Phones are not cars sitting in unmonitored parking lots. If you take reasonable measures to look after them the chance of them getting truly stolen is extremely slim.

This won't stop the amount of phones getting "stolen" it will only kill the after market.

"Carriers are also expected to ramp up education efforts aimed at reducing theft and resale."

I'll believe it when I see it.

You're definitely right with that one. I don't even know how many times I've been to a bar, restaurant, or even playground where people would just leave their phone on the table as they go to do other things, such as using the restroom.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

said by PhoenixAZ:

You're definitely right with that one. I don't even know how many times I've been to a bar, restaurant, or even playground where people would just leave their phone on the table as they go to do other things, such as using the restroom.

... and that makes it ok for someone else to pickup and sell/use because.....
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

It may not be right but it's not the Govt's nor carriers job to baby sit the customer either. What happens when I lost my phone and report it lost, it goes on the database and I end up getting it back. does the IEMI get removed from the list? This is another crazy form of regulation to "protect" those that don't want to take responsibility on anything.

The better question is though will resellers be forced to comply? Especially companies like Cricket that allow flashed phones and will take any phone as long as it works, since they maintain their own database and will reuse phones regardless if reported stolen or not.

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

buddahbless

Reporting it lost vs. stolen are looked at 2 different ways by the big carriers this Ive noticed.
Lost means you are S.O.L, and you need to purchase a new phone, stolen with a police report you may be able to get your carrier to paly ball. ( see my post above).
« Should also reduce fraud..
This is a sub-selection from Good idea...