thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2
reply to 8744675

Re: Should also reduce fraud..

said by 8744675:

On the down side, what is to stop the cell providers from listing someone's old phone once they upgrade to a new one, even if the old one hasn't been stolen? By turning the old phone into a brick, they could force people to buy new phones to get service.

That was my thought as well. I could definitely see Verizon doing this.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House
said by thegeek:

said by 8744675:

On the down side, what is to stop the cell providers from listing someone's old phone once they upgrade to a new one, even if the old one hasn't been stolen? By turning the old phone into a brick, they could force people to buy new phones to get service.

wouldnt that be kind of like fraud? they cant say a phone is stolen when it really isnt. Not to mention, when you upgrade a phone they arent taking your old phone.
--
| map your city |

HardwareGeek

join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY
reply to thegeek
Actually it is open to everyone, before you buy the phone get the IMEI and call the provider you wish to activate it with. Do you not check the carfax when you buy a car first?
--
Email/MSN: Michael at hardwaregeeks.comAIM: MikeR35292

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to thegeek
said by thegeek:

said by 8744675:

No, no, and no.

There is, and has been, a blacklist for stolen and lost phones with VZW. Once an ESN/MEID is on the list, the phone cannot be activated. This is a core part of VZW's anti-fraud efforts, and it amazes me that AT&T is only getting to it now.

And stop talking out your ass - only phones lost or stolen are on the list. When you upgrade your phone, you own it legally. Sheesh.

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium
join:2009-01-01
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1
reply to thegeek
I only see them doing this if you break the contract without paying the ETF. Sending people to collections is a pain in the ass. Making their phone a paperweight is an easy motivator.

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium
join:2009-01-01
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1
reply to HardwareGeek
A large portion of people don't even check ESNs on CDMA phones. Most people don't check IMEI phones on phones they buy.

In the ideal world, people would. In our world.. people don't know the difference between an HTC and an S3 half the time.

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to pcdebb
said by pcdebb:

said by thegeek:

said by 8744675:

wouldnt that be kind of like fraud? they cant say a phone is stolen when it really isnt. Not to mention, when you upgrade a phone they arent taking your old phone.

Try and prove it. Verizon has time and money.