uniqs
share rss forum feed

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1

1 edit

Grocery Store Checkout Lane Light

I was at Walmart today and while I was in line to checkout the cashier turned off the checkout line light and started to leave the checkout stand. Shouldn't the cashier check out everybody waiting in line when the light is turned off?

The cashier went to talk to the manager and came back and checked me out.

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
No. You should have asked where her line was cutting off. And to be polite, she should have told you.

Some of those stores are very strict on breaks etc. If you work into your 10 minute break, then too bad for you.

Russ6

Houston, TX
I disagree. A good cashier should turn off the light early enough to check out everyone in line instead of forcing customers who have been patiently waiting in line to go to the end of another line.

ToxicDrew
Premium
join:2001-09-24

2 recommendations

For the amount of money and zero benefits they get we are lucky they are even there to bag our shit.
--
dream your dreams with open eyes and make them come true...

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY
reply to Russ6
Successfully predicting how long it will take to check out x number of people is completely and utterly impossible. There are so many issues that can come up from something not scanning or scanning wrong, manager being needed to use coupons, to little old granny taking 10 minutes to find her checkbook and fill out a check.

And god help you if you get one of those individual food stamp style coupons (not EBT/SNAP) that requires specific items, weights, and quantities. You see those come out, you're going to not only need a manager because price overrides will be needed, but there is going to be a good amount of someone running back and forth between the register and shelves.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Russ6
I don't know how the stores are set up break-wise but if not customer friendly, they will eventually loose business. Allowing the line to empty AFTER the light is turned off seems to be simply customer friendly also. As far as the workers, they have a job where some people don't.. elected to get one in customer service, and should be prepared to honor "customer service" or get a job somewhere else. Short answer: Yes, they should be prepared to make sure the line is empty before a break in my opinion.
--
Spare computer cycles can help find answers
Find A Cure!

tbone2006

join:2006-07-22
Abilene, TX
reply to Russ6
While it is bad customer service, if there such a thing anymore, Hell-mart is very strict on overtime right now. One click of overtime can get you written up. They are saving up overtime for the holidays. Daytime has had their hours cut way back

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Russ6
King Soopers has things like bungee cords at the checkout. A manager will come over and pull the cord over the checkstand blocking it. The checker is supposed to finish with those in front of the cord, with the light off. Other customers who see the cord and no light move to another checkstand.

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2
reply to Russ6
Yes the should... after all, it's the law.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Russ6
She may have forgotten to turn off the light. She likely asked the manager if she could check you out (pardon the pun) w/o ruining her break.

Doesn't your wal*mart have that line with 12 cashiers? I never use the stand alone lines...
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

talz13

join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH
reply to Russ6
I don't understand why more stores don't do the single line that feeds multiple checkout stations, like Borders or Marshall's. It is so frustrating trying to predict which line will finish first.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to Russ6
I've been in the checkout line on more than one occasion when the cashier turns out their light. What it means in every case is no more people get in this checkout line. People see the light off but try and get in line and the cashier explains that they're "closing".

Russ6

Houston, TX
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

She may have forgotten to turn off the light. She likely asked the manager if she could check you out (pardon the pun) w/o ruining her break.

Doesn't your wal*mart have that line with 12 cashiers? I never use the stand alone lines...

She turned off the light in the middle of checking out the person in front of me. I saw her turn off the light and thought she would go ahead and check me out since I was already in line when she turned off the light. When she finished checking out the person in front of me she left the cash register and I had to go chase her down.

When I got her attention, I asked her to check me out but she said that she was going to talk to the manager. She also claimed that she turned off the light before I got in line. I told her I wanted to see the manager, also. I thought she would bring the manager back with her. When I got back to the grocery cart, the customers in the next line confirmed the light was on when I got in line.

When she came back, she was alone but she went ahead and checked me out. She said that she had just started her shift and was assigned to check out the person in front of me at this cash register. I think she went to talk to the manager to have the money in the cash register reconciled.

She should have turned off the light when she first got to the cash register before she started checking out the person. If she had done that, I would not have gotten in that line.

I will check for a line that has multiple cashiers. There are some self checkout lines that I will look into using.
--
SA 8300 HD DVRs with Patched S25 Guide
Links:
'S25 Guide Blog' 'Schedule' 'Info' 'Patch Thread'

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod
reply to talz13
said by talz13:

I don't understand why more stores don't do the single line that feeds multiple checkout stations, like Borders or Marshall's. It is so frustrating trying to predict which line will finish first.

I read a study before and this is by FAR faster and more effieient way to go. I often wonder myself why they dont do this.
--
Professional student pilot!

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Russ6
I'm curious, what resolution do you want in the end ?

Bruschi
Premium
Cape Cod
What everybody else wants. FREE groceries for life
--

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL

1 recommendation

reply to Hall
He should have just left the cart and walk out the door .......
If the checker leaves, she leaves. Life still goes on .....

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Russ6
Likely she had to have the register reconciled.

That has happened to me a number of times, they'll check out and woman or senior in front of me, shut their light down, reconcile, talk to cash office, and come back with a new money bag. Pisses me off. Self-serve is a good way to go too.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to ToxicDrew
said by ToxicDrew:

For the amount of money and zero benefits they get we are lucky they are even there to bag our shit.

They are free to seek employment elsewhere or open their own business.

Russ6

Houston, TX
reply to Hall
said by Hall:

I'm curious, what resolution do you want in the end ?

I wanted to be checked out without having to go to the end of another line and that is what happened.

I was curious on what other people thought should happen when the grocery store checkout lane light is turned off. Should the customers currently in line be forced to go to the end of another line or should the cashier check out everybody currently in line when the light is turned off?

From the previous replies, people have different opinions.
--
Links:

Russ6

Houston, TX
reply to kherr
said by kherr:

He should have just left the cart and walk out the door .......
If the checker leaves, she leaves. Life still goes on .....

I thought about doing that, and probably would have if the cashier hadn't come back and checked me out. The problem with that is I needed the food and would have to go to another store and start shopping all over again.
--
Links:

ToxicDrew
Premium
join:2001-09-24
reply to chamberc
said by chamberc:

said by ToxicDrew:

They are free to seek employment elsewhere or open their own business.

Yeah there you go.
--
dream your dreams with open eyes and make them come true...

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
reply to talz13
A Kroger grocery store in my area started doing that single line system this year on a trial basis. It worked very well. It is confusing at first to see it for a grocery store, and there is not quite enough room to do it outstandingly well, but I hope it gets perfected and done elsewhere.

dmagerl
Premium
join:2007-08-06
Woodstock, IL
reply to Bruschi
said by Bruschi:

said by talz13:

I read a study before and this is by FAR faster and more effieient way to go. I often wonder myself why they dont do this.

This single queue is not faster. ON AVERAGE, the wait time in a multi server queue is just as slow/fast as multiple single server queues. Afterall, the speed of the servers hasnt changed, only the configuration of the waiting lines. It's basic queuing theory.

What a multi server queue does is shrink the deviation around the average wait time so there are no extremely long or fast waits but the average wait time is still the same.

dmagerl
Premium
Woodstock, IL
reply to Bruschi
said by Bruschi:

said by talz13:

This single queue is not faster. ON AVERAGE, the wait time in a single multi server queue is just as slow/fast as multiple single server queues. Afterall, the speed of the servers hasnt changed, only the configuration of the waiting lines. It's basic queuing theory.

What a multi server queue does is shrink the deviation around the average wait time so there are no extremely long or fast waits but the average wait time is still the same.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
In the end, what's the problem with that then ? It eliminates having to play the guessing game of which line will move fastest, which line has the new, slower cashier (no offense to them), the line with the person who forgot something and sends a companion to get it while it holds up the line, etc, etc.

Bruschi
Premium
Cape Cod
reply to dmagerl
Prof sees advantages of new system
University of Minnesota marketing professor George John offered some insight into what might be going on here.

"The change — if it's strict by-the-books — is an obvious one to make," said John in a phone interview after the new system was described to him.

John said the research is clear that the funnel-type checkout Target is testing is more efficient than the usual system that leaves it up to a customer to choose a lane.

John explained that the setup, like the airport-style queue, "squeezes down the variability" of time waiting in line. Though the average wait time could be the same as with the usual checkout process, the single-lane, funnel-style infrastructure means customers have a variable wait time of, say, five to seven minutes, instead of five to 15 minutes, for example, if they had chosen their own checkout line.

"It matters" to customers and to Target's bottom line, he said.

By reducing the variance at checkout, Target is appealing to our love of predictability and banking on us returning again and again. The theory: Your brain is thinking happy thoughts like, "I know how long it will take me to get out every time I go to Target, so I'll keep shopping there." »www.minnpost.com/politics-policy···ackles-a
--

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to Bruschi
said by Bruschi:

said by talz13:

I think Ikea does this as well? It's been a year since I've been in the store so I forgot
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here

1 recommendation

reply to Russ6
I just make my wife do the shopping. I never have to stand in line then.

dmagerl
Premium
Woodstock, IL
reply to Hall
said by Hall:

In the end, what's the problem with that then ? It eliminates having to play the guessing game of which line will move fastest, which line has the new, slower cashier (no offense to them), the line with the person who forgot something and sends a companion to get it while it holds up the line, etc, etc.

There's always a downside. And for a single queue it's that you will no longer get really fast checkouts. Just like you no longer get stuck behind the little old lady fumbling around writing a check with a broken pen, you also dont get the benefit of being behind a guy with only one item with exact change in hand.

A single queue shrinks the variances. So along with shortening the slowest times to get through checkout, it also lengthens the fastest times. But on the average, everything remains the same.