share rss forum feed

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1
reply to kherr

Re: Grocery Store Checkout Lane Light

said by kherr:

He should have just left the cart and walk out the door .......
If the checker leaves, she leaves. Life still goes on .....

I thought about doing that, and probably would have if the cashier hadn't come back and checked me out. The problem with that is I needed the food and would have to go to another store and start shopping all over again.
--
SA 8300 HD DVRs with Patched S25 Guide
Links:
'S25 Guide Blog' 'Schedule' 'Info' 'Patch Thread'

ToxicDrew
Premium
join:2001-09-24
reply to chamberc

said by chamberc:

said by ToxicDrew:

For the amount of money and zero benefits they get we are lucky they are even there to bag our shit.

They are free to seek employment elsewhere or open their own business.

Yeah there you go.
--
dream your dreams with open eyes and make them come true...

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:2
reply to talz13

A Kroger grocery store in my area started doing that single line system this year on a trial basis. It worked very well. It is confusing at first to see it for a grocery store, and there is not quite enough room to do it outstandingly well, but I hope it gets perfected and done elsewhere.

dmagerl
Premium
join:2007-08-06
Woodstock, IL
reply to Bruschi

said by Bruschi:

said by talz13:

I don't understand why more stores don't do the single line that feeds multiple checkout stations, like Borders or Marshall's. It is so frustrating trying to predict which line will finish first.

I read a study before and this is by FAR faster and more effieient way to go. I often wonder myself why they dont do this.

This single queue is not faster. ON AVERAGE, the wait time in a multi server queue is just as slow/fast as multiple single server queues. Afterall, the speed of the servers hasnt changed, only the configuration of the waiting lines. It's basic queuing theory.

What a multi server queue does is shrink the deviation around the average wait time so there are no extremely long or fast waits but the average wait time is still the same.

dmagerl
Premium
Woodstock, IL
reply to Bruschi

said by Bruschi:

said by talz13:

I don't understand why more stores don't do the single line that feeds multiple checkout stations, like Borders or Marshall's. It is so frustrating trying to predict which line will finish first.

I read a study before and this is by FAR faster and more effieient way to go. I often wonder myself why they dont do this.

This single queue is not faster. ON AVERAGE, the wait time in a single multi server queue is just as slow/fast as multiple single server queues. Afterall, the speed of the servers hasnt changed, only the configuration of the waiting lines. It's basic queuing theory.

What a multi server queue does is shrink the deviation around the average wait time so there are no extremely long or fast waits but the average wait time is still the same.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

In the end, what's the problem with that then ? It eliminates having to play the guessing game of which line will move fastest, which line has the new, slower cashier (no offense to them), the line with the person who forgot something and sends a companion to get it while it holds up the line, etc, etc.

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod
reply to dmagerl

Prof sees advantages of new system
University of Minnesota marketing professor George John offered some insight into what might be going on here.

"The change — if it's strict by-the-books — is an obvious one to make," said John in a phone interview after the new system was described to him.

John said the research is clear that the funnel-type checkout Target is testing is more efficient than the usual system that leaves it up to a customer to choose a lane.

John explained that the setup, like the airport-style queue, "squeezes down the variability" of time waiting in line. Though the average wait time could be the same as with the usual checkout process, the single-lane, funnel-style infrastructure means customers have a variable wait time of, say, five to seven minutes, instead of five to 15 minutes, for example, if they had chosen their own checkout line.

"It matters" to customers and to Target's bottom line, he said.

By reducing the variance at checkout, Target is appealing to our love of predictability and banking on us returning again and again. The theory: Your brain is thinking happy thoughts like, "I know how long it will take me to get out every time I go to Target, so I'll keep shopping there." »www.minnpost.com/politics-policy···ackles-a
--
Professional student pilot!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to Bruschi

said by Bruschi:

said by talz13:

I think Ikea does this as well? It's been a year since I've been in the store so I forgot
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here

1 recommendation

reply to Russ6

I just make my wife do the shopping. I never have to stand in line then.

dmagerl
Premium
Woodstock, IL
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

In the end, what's the problem with that then ? It eliminates having to play the guessing game of which line will move fastest, which line has the new, slower cashier (no offense to them), the line with the person who forgot something and sends a companion to get it while it holds up the line, etc, etc.

There's always a downside. And for a single queue it's that you will no longer get really fast checkouts. Just like you no longer get stuck behind the little old lady fumbling around writing a check with a broken pen, you also dont get the benefit of being behind a guy with only one item with exact change in hand.

A single queue shrinks the variances. So along with shortening the slowest times to get through checkout, it also lengthens the fastest times. But on the average, everything remains the same.

towerdave

join:2002-01-16
O Fallon, IL
reply to Russ6

I love the single line idea. Not only does it keep everyone's wait closer to the average, but it gets rid of that awkward situation that happens when a new lane opens and everyone rushes to switch to that lane. Makes adding and subtracting cashiers much easier, to avoid the OPs original problem. Probably makes scheduling and breaks easier on the store too.

TD

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus

join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL
reply to beck

said by beck:

No. You should have asked where her line was cutting off. And to be polite, she should have told you.

Some of those stores are very strict on breaks etc. If you work into your 10 minute break, then too bad for you.

In most states that is illegal to deny you your break.

Also the light should have been turned off well in advance of the break if the cashier was taking one.

If you are in line before the light is off then you should be served.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus

Chicago, IL
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

She may have forgotten to turn off the light. She likely asked the manager if she could check you out (pardon the pun) w/o ruining her break.

Doesn't your wal*mart have that line with 12 cashiers? I never use the stand alone lines...

Most walmarts dont have the one line to 12 register setups.
In canada it might be more common, but in the US it is very rare.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus

Chicago, IL
reply to dmagerl

said by dmagerl:

The single queue is faster. It allows the lines to move around the few slow people. If you dont have a single queue there is a chance you will get stuck behind the slow people.

AsherN
Premium
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON
reply to Russ6

The single queue averages the wait time better and makes changing the nu,mber of cashier easier. It does require a re-flow at the front of the store, sometimes removing items for sale.

Then again, if done properly, it adds a lot of space for those impulse, small item buys. There is a HomeSense in my area that has 12 registers. It has a single queue where you enter facing register #12 and the head of the queue is at register #1. You have to walk what is configured as a gauntlet of small items, toys and candy. They must make a killing on those.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Russ6

general rule in most supermarkets I have worked in and have been in is that if you are in line when the light goes off they will still ring you up. However if you see a register just finishing up it is a nice thing to do to move to that one.

Naturally though and I have worked a register before is the rude thing a customer does is run into the line when its empty and light off and get shit on the belt quickly and then go "Oh I did not see the light off." Sadly in the world of customer service generally you have to take them now.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to thegeek

said by thegeek:

I just make my wife do the shopping. I never have to stand in line then.

Why even bother with that? Don't you have any grocery stores that deliver here yet? Go online shop and answer the door if your that lazy or don't want to deal with the hassle.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

kontos
xyzzy

join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY
reply to Kearnstd

yeah, but that's okay because you can usually get away with putting their milk on top of the bread when you bag.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Oh_No

said by Oh_No:

said by J E F F:

She may have forgotten to turn off the light. She likely asked the manager if she could check you out (pardon the pun) w/o ruining her break.

Doesn't your wal*mart have that line with 12 cashiers? I never use the stand alone lines...

Probably not at all of them. I'm guess at the 7 Wal*Marts in this city 5 or 6 have the check-out with 12 registers. The one at the mall I don't think has one. They even got rid of the self-servce IIRC.

The only issue with the multi-register lines is if they only have 3 or 4 operators.

Over time, at the grocery stores, I've grown frustrated at the idiots who take 40 items to the 1-10 item lane....
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus

Chicago, IL

said by J E F F:

said by Oh_No:

said by J E F F:

Probably not at all of them. I'm guess at the 7 Wal*Marts in this city 5 or 6 have the check-out with 12 registers. The one at the mall I don't think has one. They even got rid of the self-servce IIRC.

The only issue with the multi-register lines is if they only have 3 or 4 operators.

Over time, at the grocery stores, I've grown frustrated at the idiots who take 40 items to the 1-10 item lane....

It is debatable on if that is OK.
It all depends on the cashier, how they have their cart organized, how many multiples they buy, but someone with 40 items could easily check out faster than someone with 10.

Look at self checkout.
I will take a cart full of 30 to 40 items and have it all scanned and bagged before someone next to me can do 10 to 15 items.
I can do the 40 items faster in self checkout than every cashier at my local stores can do with their normal register.

I guess your frustration is with someone incompetent at life or a cashier who is a waste of oxygen trying to check out 40 items as slow as possible.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

said by Oh_No:

Look at self checkout.
I will take a cart full of 30 to 40 items and have it all scanned and bagged before someone next to me can do 10 to 15 items.
I can do the 40 items faster in self checkout than every cashier at my local stores can do with their normal register.

You're special... and exaggerating, I think... 1) Every self-checkout machine I've seen is stupidly slow and 2) they're all typically for a smaller # of items in that they have extremely limited bagging space.

Russ6

Houston, TX

Speaking of bagging, the Walmart in Houston I went to has a machine that contains plastic bags that rotate. If you buy lots of groceries, what happens if you don't take the bags off as they are filled and each bag position fills up? Does the cashier just stop filling bags or can another bag be filled at the same position? It is hard to keep track of all the bags.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

Those are "normal" at the Wal-marts here. As they are filled up, you put them in your shopping cart to take to your car !

Russ6

Houston, TX

I understand that, but if I am watching the cashier to make sure I don't get double charged for an item because it was scanned twice, etc.

Poorfellow

join:2008-03-16
New York, NY

1 recommendation

said by Russ6:

I understand that, but if I am watching the cashier to make sure I don't get double charged for an item because it was scanned twice, etc.

Your life seems very difficult and stressful.

Russ6

Houston, TX

My question was more out of curiosity than anything else.

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY
reply to Russ6

said by Russ6:

The Walmart here it's a miracle if they scan more than one item every 10 seconds, so there is plenty of time to take the bags from the spinning bag holder.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus

Chicago, IL
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

said by Oh_No:

Look at self checkout.

You're special... and exaggerating, I think... 1) Every self-checkout machine I've seen is stupidly slow and 2) they're all typically for a smaller # of items in that they have extremely limited bagging space.

Self checkouts are not slow, just the prompts are.
You can scan and bag quickly. You have to make sure you put the item onto the bagging scale as quickly as possible.
Also your cart needs to be pre-organized for quick bagging to minimize reaching, movement, and fumbling with items.
The bagging organization needs to take into account stacking the backs on the bagging scale so it wont prompt for an employee to approve skipping bagging.

I am not exaggerating about my quickness at checkout.

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here

About 7 years ago a Walmart in Shawnee, KS had the most awesome self checkouts. You would scan your item and then place it on a conveyor belt that weighed the item and moved it to the bagging area. You could unload an entire cart full of items extremely fast. It was ready to scan another item before you could get your hands on the next item to scan. I loved it. Then I moved and couldn't shop at that store anymore. I've never seen another self checkout like it anywhere. I have no idea if it is still like that there or not. But it was 7 years ago so they've likely changed it by now.

DannyZ
Gentoo Fanboy
Premium
join:2003-01-29
Erie, PA

There's a Giant Eagle grocery store here with the same type of self-checkout. Never seen it anywhere else, including other Giant Eagles