spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JasonCable

@cox.net

[NV] Received email of a Cox Data Usage Notification

Should I be worried? I usually exceed the 250gb a month by a little bit, but this is the first time Cox has sent an email to me.

The email appears below:

----------

Dear (Name left out for privacy),

Thank you for choosing Cox, we appreciate your business!

At Cox we offer several different Internet packages, each featuring a specific combination of download speed and data usage allowance. As of November 01, 2012, your household has used 257 Gigabytes of data in the current billing cycle. Your Cox High Speed Internet package includes 250 Gigabytes of data usage. Some common factors affecting data usage include the number of Internet-connected devices in the household, Wi-Fi network security, the amount of streaming video watched, and the presence of viruses and spyware on one or more home computers.

If you're interested in learning more about data usage and the factors affecting it please visit:

»www.cox.com/DataUsage

You can view your data usage by logging into your account and checking your data usage meter in Internet Tools:

»myaccount.cox.net/internettools/···sage.cox

To learn more about how to prevent spyware and viruses and download a free copy of Cox Security Suite (a $199 value) please visit:

»ww2.cox.com/residential/internet···uite.cox

We're happy you're getting so much value from your Cox High Speed Internet service. However, your online experience would be improved by moving to a package featuring even faster download speeds and a larger data usage allowance. Please call us at 1-877-840-2777 for assistance in managing your data usage or selecting the option that best fits your household's needs.

Thanks again for choosing Cox High Speed Internet.

Sincerely,

Philip Nutsugah

Vice President

Cox High Speed Internet

Cox Online Privacy Policy and related terms and agreements

»www.cox.com/policy

ikyuaoki

join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

You might want to have the 2x premier tiers to hook up your the two cable modems or go with ultimate if you need more data allowance in this matters. if you continues to exceed the currently data allowance so Cox might will terminate your internet account. please use caution ahead.

I have the 2x premier tiers that hook up to the two cable modems to connected to my single PC that do load balancing.

JasonCable

@cox.net

Darn. It would appear that cox is finally monitoring their data usage. I've been told: 3 strikes (emails) and they terminate you.

signcarver

join:2005-03-20
Phoenix, AZ
reply to JasonCable

Are your cycle start dates on the first of the month? As it seems odd to me that they would send a message for only 7GB over. Mine appears to start/end around the 25th each month and in my case if I reached 257GB by the 1st, I'd definitely expect a letter. However since you say you usually exceed the limit by a little bit, it might be catching up to you, especially if you have had 3 or more straight months in going over.

I feel compelled to give this warning but it may not apply in your case. The links you posted seem genuine but I suspect with copy/paste we may not be seeing the real links and it wouldn't surprise me if someone uses such tactics as a phishing ploy to get one to use their username/password though it would be more likely for a bank than isp but I have seen email accounts targeted before. It may even be possible that some company is getting referral fees if they get you to upgrade. I know if I got this as an email I would be very suspect of it, but I rarely go over on the meter in your case since you know you go over it's more likely legitimate. That is why I would prefer standard mail be used over email for such warnings; maybe not for the first one but definitely prior to it reaching the third one.

digiblur
Premium
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana
reply to JasonCable

That's insane... 7gb over!! Really??? They need to apply like a 3 month rolling average or something.

JasonCable

@cox.net

Hi,

My billing cycle ends on the 10th of each month, and I usually go between 20-50gb over the 250gb limit according to the chart.

In August, I went 290, September 275gb and October 270gb.

I don't think I am abusing the service, but apparently Cox thinks otherwise.

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1

1 edit

Yea, I would definably complain about that. I can see them going crazy for 100 megs or so, but, that's anal.

Go to www.ftc.gov and file a complaint. Now you guys know why I do not like monthly caps.

-Rob

Seriously

@cox.net

said by Rob_:

Were in Amerika, not north korea.

That is probably the dumbest thing I have ever read on the internet, and that's saying something.

While I dislike service caps, and am for Network Neutrality, as a Cox subscriber you agreed to their Terms of Service - which outline data usage limitations.

ikyuaoki

Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Rob_

having complaining to the FTC won't help you out at all that you are hereby agreed with the teams of service what cox provided you and you are bonded to the team of service on the limited cap monthly.

if you want more the data allowance, Get the 2x premier tiers that which will provides you up to 500GB cap a monthly that cost a month is 130 dollars what'd i am paying for.

kv2009

join:2009-09-14
Kenner, LA
reply to Seriously

said by Seriously :

said by Rob_:

Were in Amerika, not north korea.

That is probably the dumbest thing I have ever read on the internet, and that's saying something.

While I dislike service caps, and am for Network Neutrality, as a Cox subscriber you agreed to their Terms of Service - which outline data usage limitations.

The general idea behind data caps and limitations is a cheap business practice in order for an ISP to rake in more money. Period. When we first ordered Cox@Home (I believe it was called that back then), it was marketed as "unlimited internet" and it still should be. Bandwidth is cheap and there is no reason to have usage caps.

Oh, and please watch the personal attacks here on DSLR. In fact, I'd probably edit your comment to remove it if I was you - it's pretty immature. We aren't children around here.

Anonguy

@cox.net

said by kv2009:

Bandwidth is cheap and there is no reason to have usage caps.

The cost of Bandwith isn't the issue here. We are all on a shared medium (A Node/CMTS) That has capacity limits.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

1 recommendation

And yet, there always seems to be plenty when the market will support a higher tier.

ikyuaoki

Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 edit

said by No_Strings:

And yet, there always seems to be plenty when the market will support a higher tier.

yup. I am also looks forward to the DOCSIS 3.1 that supports higher bandwidth scaled as up to 10Gbits/2Gbits as it is in the development status.

EDIT: I shall replaces the two docsis 3.0 cable modems with a new a two docsis 3.1 cable modems when it comes out.

Rob_
Premium
Mary Esther, FL
reply to No_Strings

The point I'm trying to get across - why would they go crazy over a small amount? Doesn't make sense.. oopse, cents..

-Rob

Rob_
Premium
Mary Esther, FL
reply to ikyuaoki

said by ikyuaoki:

if you want more the data allowance, Get the 2x premier tiers that which will provides you up to 500GB cap a monthly that cost a month is 130 dollars what'd i am paying for.

More like 400 gigs unless they changed it to 500..

-Rob

ikyuaoki

Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by Rob_:

said by ikyuaoki:

More like 400 gigs unless they changed it to 500..

-Rob

yeah. that i am running the load balancing the two WAN connectivity to scale the bandwidth, I never had been gone over the cap limits that due a broken meter usage lol.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to No_Strings

said by No_Strings:

Exactly. I remember when LUS fiber rolled out, their highest tier was offered uncapped.

Funny how they can offer faster speeds with no caps when competition is around.

Seriously

@cox.net
reply to Rob_

said by Rob_:

The point I'm trying to get across - why would they go crazy over a small amount? Doesn't make sense.. oopse, cents..

-Rob

I'm willing to bet all the money in my pocket versus all the money in your pocket that it's an automated system which automatically sends an alert once you go over the threshold.

signcarver

join:2005-03-20
Phoenix, AZ
reply to JasonCable

said by JasonCable :

Hi,

My billing cycle ends on the 10th of each month, and I usually go between 20-50gb over the 250gb limit according to the chart.

In August, I went 290, September 275gb and October 270gb.

I don't think I am abusing the service, but apparently Cox thinks otherwise.

From the info you gave here, its not just the 7GB that is of concern but the fact that you reached the limit just 2/3's of the way into your cycle. Your overage has the potential of going way over this month as you are only 20-21 days into your cycle and have 9 left (someplace between 8 and 10 depending on when on the 1st that reading was taken and whether your new cycle starts on the 10th or the 11th) If your current rate of usage remains the same or goes up you will end up going over by more than 100GB which is cause for concern of possible account suspension especially with the 3 prior consecutive months going over by 10% and this month maybe as much as 40-50% over.

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Seriously

said by Seriously :

said by Rob_:

-Rob

I'm willing to bet all the money in my pocket versus all the money in your pocket that it's an automated system which automatically sends an alert once you go over the threshold.

You are right, but I don't know if all the cox markets are using this system atm. They do indeed have a system in place, where once you have reached or went over your bandwidth cap. A email is sent to your account letting you know. However if cox try's to use someone going over there cap limit by a small amount, as one of three strikes before kicking them off for a year. That would be really bad business practices on there part, because you shouldn't be getting rid of a customer. Unless they are really abusing the limits, or if they are causing bandwidth issue's for other's in there area.

Also the email you received, kind of pisses me off. How they mention upgrading to a faster tier. I am a ultimate tier customer, and there isn't a higher tier of residential services. As for going to a business class service, that a big no. Because then we are talking about a lot higher priced service, less speed, and high ETF, if you agree to a contract to lower monthly price a bit. I don't like these caps myself, and think cox has to start thinking about raising them. As this is no longer 2010, it's about to be 2013. So if cox wants to keep the caps, be a fair company to your customers, and offer extra bandwidth that is decently priced. Without forcing a customer to a business account, they don't want, or need any of the features a business account offers. Except no monthly caps, and sorry that's not enough to be forcing a customer to switch.

Rob_
Premium
Mary Esther, FL

The whole capping thing is stupid, and I have a feeling it won't last, there's too much of a hurdle to get to the bandwidth meter (logging in twice.. for example) and when/if google launches their service in more (cox) cities, watch the caps go bye bye and the bandwidth go up.

It's due to lack of competition, while I'm not against Cox making a profit, I'm more for the little people because, the rates keep going up, soon the people won't be able to afford internet.

Cox has been really good to me and I do not mind paying for American jobs, and keeping them HERE. However, this little thing called a data cap churns my stomach.

-Rob

KahunaNui

join:2000-05-01
Fayetteville, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by Rob_:

The whole capping thing is stupid, and I have a feeling it won't last, there's too much of a hurdle to get to the bandwidth meter (logging in twice.. for example)
Cox has been really good to me and I do not mind paying for American jobs, and keeping them HERE. However, this little thing called a data cap churns my stomach.

-Rob

Totally agree! And what further 'churns our stomachs' is their double login PERIOD. Now we can't even login to web mail using anything but Opera (and that is a double login also) - see latest thread on the new insanity we are now dealing with.

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to JasonCable

dont know why you are having to login 2x, i log in once and it keeps me in and im using IE 9. try clearing your cookies and temp files

No_Strings
The OC
reply to KahunaNui

I've seen several people mention a "double log in" which I don't understand. Can someone post a screen shot?

I go to webmail.cox.net (usually with Chrome) and it redirects to a log in page (East or West depending on my location and traffic). I log in and it takes me right to my inbox.

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Yeah I simply click the sign in to webmail under find it fast on the main cox page. I sign in, then click on internet tool. Which takes a second to load, then click data usage. I use chrome myself, and never have to double login to reach my data usage meter.

No_Strings
The OC

Yes, same. Internet Tools are accessible on the left side, without exiting webmail or logging in again.

... for me.

KahunaNui

join:2000-05-01
Fayetteville, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to No_Strings

said by No_Strings:

I go to webmail.cox.net (usually with Chrome) and it redirects to a log in page (East or West depending on my location and traffic). I log in and it takes me right to my inbox.

Consider yourselves lucky... entered that address,
redirected to the east login, logged in and bang! registration page.
You probably never even saw that page... we'll post screen of it when we can.

This is really maddening...

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR
reply to JasonCable

you could move to a business account with no caps.

Rob_
Premium
Mary Esther, FL

Who's got $XXX a month? I don't! We shouldn't have to move to a business account

When more and more of us become (and stay) connected thanks to tablets, phones and more online devices in the future, the more and more average users will find out about a crap.. I mean cap.

Remember, a non BBR user has no idea what a data cap is. I had to explain to some people about it. (and they use skype to talk to their son who's defending our country overseas)

-Rob

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
reply to JasonCable

IF, and I know it is a big if, AT&T does the network upgrades they announced recently, I wonder how that would effect Cox's attitude on significantly raising the existing caps, separating speed from usage limits, or doing away with caps completely. Obviously AT&T will impose per byte billing on any LTE connection, similar to Verizon's Home Fusion. What if Randall L. Stephenson and his "crew" decide that wireline per byte billing and speed tiers are not cost effective? Just have a single charge for IP DSL. The speed you get is whatever the modem can do and you use it as much as you want. A single charge all you can use domestic VOIP is the default for voice. POTS disappears. That significantly simplifies wireline billing. In areas where AT&T and Cox coexist that could hurt Cox some. Even limited competition like that could make Cox more reasonable about caps. Alternate worlds are nice to imagine.