Rob_
Premium Member
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_ to lilstone87

Premium Member

to lilstone87

Re: [NV] Received email of a Cox Data Usage Notification

The whole capping thing is stupid, and I have a feeling it won't last, there's too much of a hurdle to get to the bandwidth meter (logging in twice.. for example) and when/if google launches their service in more (cox) cities, watch the caps go bye bye and the bandwidth go up.

It's due to lack of competition, while I'm not against Cox making a profit, I'm more for the little people because, the rates keep going up, soon the people won't be able to afford internet.

Cox has been really good to me and I do not mind paying for American jobs, and keeping them HERE. However, this little thing called a data cap churns my stomach.

-Rob

KahunaNui
join:2000-05-01
Honolulu, HI

KahunaNui

said by Rob_:

The whole capping thing is stupid, and I have a feeling it won't last, there's too much of a hurdle to get to the bandwidth meter (logging in twice.. for example)
Cox has been really good to me and I do not mind paying for American jobs, and keeping them HERE. However, this little thing called a data cap churns my stomach.

-Rob

Totally agree! And what further 'churns our stomachs' is their double login PERIOD. Now we can't even login to web mail using anything but Opera (and that is a double login also) - see latest thread on the new insanity we are now dealing with.
m8trix
join:2003-12-24
Chandler, AZ

m8trix to JasonCable

to JasonCable
dont know why you are having to login 2x, i log in once and it keeps me in and im using IE 9. try clearing your cookies and temp files

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings to KahunaNui

to KahunaNui
I've seen several people mention a "double log in" which I don't understand. Can someone post a screen shot?

I go to webmail.cox.net (usually with Chrome) and it redirects to a log in page (East or West depending on my location and traffic). I log in and it takes me right to my inbox.
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

Yeah I simply click the sign in to webmail under find it fast on the main cox page. I sign in, then click on internet tool. Which takes a second to load, then click data usage. I use chrome myself, and never have to double login to reach my data usage meter.

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings

Yes, same. Internet Tools are accessible on the left side, without exiting webmail or logging in again.

... for me.

KahunaNui
join:2000-05-01
Honolulu, HI

KahunaNui to No_Strings

to No_Strings
said by No_Strings:

I go to webmail.cox.net (usually with Chrome) and it redirects to a log in page (East or West depending on my location and traffic). I log in and it takes me right to my inbox.

Consider yourselves lucky... entered that address,
redirected to the east login, logged in and bang! registration page.
You probably never even saw that page... we'll post screen of it when we can.

This is really maddening...

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28 to JasonCable

Premium Member

to JasonCable
you could move to a business account with no caps.
Rob_
Premium Member
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

Who's got $XXX a month? I don't! We shouldn't have to move to a business account

When more and more of us become (and stay) connected thanks to tablets, phones and more online devices in the future, the more and more average users will find out about a crap.. I mean cap.

Remember, a non BBR user has no idea what a data cap is. I had to explain to some people about it. (and they use skype to talk to their son who's defending our country overseas)

-Rob
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to JasonCable

Premium Member

to JasonCable
IF, and I know it is a big if, AT&T does the network upgrades they announced recently, I wonder how that would effect Cox's attitude on significantly raising the existing caps, separating speed from usage limits, or doing away with caps completely. Obviously AT&T will impose per byte billing on any LTE connection, similar to Verizon's Home Fusion. What if Randall L. Stephenson and his "crew" decide that wireline per byte billing and speed tiers are not cost effective? Just have a single charge for IP DSL. The speed you get is whatever the modem can do and you use it as much as you want. A single charge all you can use domestic VOIP is the default for voice. POTS disappears. That significantly simplifies wireline billing. In areas where AT&T and Cox coexist that could hurt Cox some. Even limited competition like that could make Cox more reasonable about caps. Alternate worlds are nice to imagine.
Lokk
join:2001-11-01
Scottsdale, AZ

Lokk

Same thing happened to me, with me being at 256GB out of 250GB with about 7 days left on the billing cycle. Meh.

outwest
@dsn1.net

outwest to lilstone87

Anon

to lilstone87
There's plenty of examples of other countries were the ISP's typically do NOT cap bandwidth and they have no problem with all the supposed bandwidth "congestion" that we're always hearing about here - and yes, I'm talking about densely populated areas too, so please, I don't want to hear about how it's because we have so many more people. This is really all about money. If you had unlimited bandwidth you might get all your movie and TV needs satisfied online and cut your crappy cable television subscriptions, with their outdated and money-gouging tier system, along with a dozen taxes.

If you are interested in cutting your cable, though, or just have a little extra money to spend, then you can get what I consider a decent deal on a business account. I signed a contract for three years to get business internet at $99 a month, no taxes.
darkonex9
join:2010-02-26

darkonex9 to JasonCable

to JasonCable
Got the same email today, I'm in Kansas though. Looking at my bandwidth usage over the past year I have gone way above the 250GB limit multiple times, even 350GB a couple months. In fact there were only 3 months this whole year I did NOT go over and this is the first email I've ever got about this. I'm 11GB over with 3 days left. Annoying, guess they are just now going to start doing something about these overages it seems.

ikyuaoki
join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS

ikyuaoki

I'd considered myself so lucky and haven't been over the cap, I have the 500GB cap a month as 2x premier tiers that cost is 130 dollars what i am paying for.
Rob_
Premium Member
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

There's a 500 cap version?

-Rob
m8trix
join:2003-12-24
Chandler, AZ

m8trix

no he is just paying for 2 lines of premier

digiblur
Premium Member
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

digiblur

Premium Member

said by m8trix:

no he is just paying for 2 lines of premier

And probably a hell of lot cheaper too, not too hard to do the dual wan thing either.

ikyuaoki
Wichita, KS

ikyuaoki to Rob_

to Rob_
said by Rob_:

There's a 500 cap version?

-Rob

No, I am paying for 2 premier lines that is 2x 250GB cap a month that total is 500GB a cap per monthly that cost is 130 dollars a month that's what i am payin' for.
tmlv
join:2012-11-18
Las Vegas, NV

tmlv to JasonCable

to JasonCable
Paying for 2 lines seems kind of silly to me when you can have a Small Office Home Office account and not have a data cap... It's treated as a business account as well... It's roughly the same price, and you get a static IP with it, which is an added bonus.
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by tmlv:

Paying for 2 lines seems kind of silly to me when you can have a Small Office Home Office account and not have a data cap... It's treated as a business account as well... It's roughly the same price, and you get a static IP with it, which is an added bonus.

Well with business class to get good pricing, requires a contact which the ETF will be you buying out the rest of the contact, if you decide to break it. Also you are going to get way less speed. High ETF for business class internet, is really a deal break imo. Internet company's have to find better ways to offer more bandwidth to customer's, without hog tying them to death. Business class internet shouldn't be the only solution to customer's who need more bandwidth, as business class internet offers many other thing's that many of us could careless about.

Trust me I have overlooked the options of business class internet, and it's simply not good enough on the ISP's part. Which now ISP's want to do the 3 strike rule for going over bandwidth, and killing a customers service for a year if they do it three times. So you really have to ask yourself, who's being fair here? Answer is not the ISP's, as they are forcing you to play by rules that are unfair, plain and simple.

ikyuaoki
Wichita, KS

ikyuaoki

said by lilstone87:

said by tmlv:

Well with business class to get good pricing, requires a contact which the ETF will be you buying out the rest of the contact, if you decide to break it. Also you are going to get way less speed. High ETF for business class internet, is really a deal break imo. Internet company's have to find better ways to offer more bandwidth to customer's, without hog tying them to death. Business class internet shouldn't be the only solution to customer's who need more bandwidth, as business class internet offers many other thing's that many of us could careless about.

Trust me I have overlooked the options of business class internet, and it's simply not good enough on the ISP's part. Which now ISP's want to do the 3 strike rule for going over bandwidth, and killing a customers service for a year if they do it three times. So you really have to ask yourself, who's being fair here? Answer is not the ISP's, as they are forcing you to play by rules that are unfair, plain and simple.

Well said! I choose the more speed and also choose to pay more for more cap capacity that is simple in matters.

for business class, that offers a low speeds and no caps at all that is does not suit to me where there is a area what i want is more speed instead of low speeds and no cap on business class.
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

Also you shouldn't be forced to have two of the same internet plan's, to have double the bandwidth limit monthly. I understand business class internet having high ETF for breaking contract. But who's to say just because a customer uses more then "X" set monthly limit, needs faster response time to home side issue's, or static IP's etc. You can't force customer's into business class tier's like this, because really your to the point "business" means nothing as for the type of tier it is. More like "bend over for more monthly bandwidth" tier.

ikyuaoki
Wichita, KS

ikyuaoki to tmlv

to tmlv
that is none of true. the business class on cable modem is subjected to the policy changes anytime.

paying for the two lines isn't silly at all. I choose to have more cap capacity what i am paying for as I pay more as it is pure simple.
ikyuaoki

ikyuaoki to lilstone87

to lilstone87
the customers could be forced into the business class or pay more for additional type of tier, if customer finds too annoying what ISP purpose to have right to tell to warn the customer to limit the data consumed use, if customer do not follow the protocol rules then the ISP could terminate the customer account anytime as customer will be kicked off the network for overconsumed use.
lilstone87
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by ikyuaoki:

the customers could be forced into the business class or pay more for additional type of tier, if customer finds too annoying what ISP purpose to have right to tell to warn the customer to limit the data consumed use, if customer do not follow the protocol rules then the ISP could terminate the customer account anytime as customer will be kicked off the network for overconsumed use.

What I am getting at is, I am a ultimate tier customer. I have a 400gb monthly limit, and there is no higher residential tier. So only choice left is business class internet. I have been close to my cap a couple times, and if I do ever go over by a bit. I will not be happy if cox starts to make a fuss about it, and I will let them know I am not happy. I understand enforcing a policy to protect other customer's, but to enforce it just because he went over is sad. I have no issue when action is taken due to a customer being a bandwidth hog, and it's affecting other customers in there local area.

ikyuaoki
Wichita, KS

1 edit

ikyuaoki

There you go, you are on this 400gb monthly limit, you could simple additional another ultimate tier for adding to your cap monthly limit is scaled up to 800gb.

that is pure and simple what'll you pay more for this.

1x ultimate tier cost is 100 dollars per month

2x ultimate tier cost is 200 dollars per month

that is simple what you will pay more if you choose to have 2x tiers just like me
Rob_
Premium Member
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

Why don't you just get business class? It must be nice to be able to shell out that kind of money for an internet connection.

-Rob

ikyuaoki
Wichita, KS

1 edit

ikyuaoki

I am not going to be on the business class because it cost more and lower speeds than what i have on the residental.

and also the policy can be change anytime that is subject to the change conditions in matters.

I'll stick with residental where there's no contract for me. in other words for business class it requires you be on the contract locked and if you wish to break the contract then it will gonna cost you more so expensive.

I am satified with 2x premier tier right now what i am paying a 130 dollars a month as well as i gets the cap monthly is 500gb.
Rakeesh
join:2011-10-30
Phoenix, AZ

4 edits

Rakeesh to kv2009

to kv2009
said by kv2009:

The general idea behind data caps and limitations is a cheap business practice in order for an ISP to rake in more money. Period. When we first ordered Cox@Home (I believe it was called that back then), it was marketed as "unlimited internet" and it still should be. Bandwidth is cheap and there is no reason to have usage caps.

It's no such thing. All ISP's oversubscribe their bandwidth, anywhere between 10:1 to 50:1 is common depending on the level of service they provide to most customers (ISPs that provide lower bandwidth connections tend to go with a higher oversubscription ratio.) The reason they do this is because nobody uses their whole pipe continuously 24/7. If they were to buy enough bandwidth to not oversubscribe, it would cost a LOT more, and you'd be paying more as a result.

This works because most people don't have their internet connection at full throttle 24/7.

Truth be told, if you must do that, then you're subscribing to the wrong service. What you're looking at doing is more in-line with what a business might need if they are hosting their own services. This is why cox's business services cost more, because that level of service is intended for what you are doing. So if you must do that, switch to their business tier.

Compare it to having a LAN where on one side of your network, you have 5 computers connected to a switch, that switch has a single trunk port to another switch, and that other switch has another 5 computers. With this setup, you are working under the assumption that those computers won't all be going across the trunk at full throttle all the time.

But what if that does end up happening? Well, you're going to have to replace both switches with more expensive ones that support port channel, and then you're going to have to pay (with either your time or somebody else's time) to run additional wiring between those switches.

Realistically though, such a scenario will probably never happen.

In the case of an ISP, sometimes you end up with people who assume that because they are given a 30mbit pipe, that means they can run it at full throttle 24/7. It doesn't work that way for an ISP any more than it would work for the situation I described above. If you intended on adding port channel, you'll pay for it. Only in the case of a WAN, it's not so simple. When you need more bandwidth, you have to pay for more bandwidth. Likewise, when an ISP needs more bandwidth because you need more bandwidth, they have to do the same thing.

It doesn't stop there though. If you eat up that bandwidth in your node, then it might be necessary for them to do a node split. But why would they pay several thousand dollars for a node split just to accommodate maybe 5 people when a node split is otherwise completely unnecessary? It makes more business sense to just tell those people to get another ISP. Your ISP isn't a charity. They're in it to make money just as you do work at your job to make money.

Now you mention cox@home, well if you remember, in the early cox@home days you often had very unreliable service in most areas. They did a really miserable job at managing network resources. Needless to say, that changed.

Complaining to the FTC or the FCC won't do you any good. Any competent network engineer will explain what I just did above, and they'll basically ignore you.

ikyuaoki
Wichita, KS

2 edits

ikyuaoki

that is exectly correct. Well said! who anyone thinks that cap is bad business practice things then complains to the FCC or FTC in this matters won't do any good at all. that's why i am paying a more for two premier tier lines. that is pure and simple.

EDIT: who complains about bandwidth hogs on the node unit, it is more costly to make a necessary splitting the node up that is makes a sense.

however, with DOCSIS 3.0 and above that have more channels that makes splitting unnecssary to save the thousands of dollars.