Search similar:

uniqs
rcljeep05
join:2012-11-02
Cranford, NJ

1 edit

rcljeep05

[Northeast] BBU Down, No Service

During the hurricane, our neighbor ran a generator, which he turned off at night. I hooked it up to the BBU and the router. After one night, the BBU said the battery (from 2007) was bad, so I went out and bought a new battery, which worked. The next day, it said this new battery was bad. Now we have power, but no services. If I put the (previously) new battery in, everything works for a minute. Then the BBU decides the battery is bad and all services cut out. I would charge the battery but I don't have a standalone battery charger.

The lights on the BBU are very dim. I believe the BBU or power supply is faulty. Shouldn't all services work even if the battery is bad?

When the power came back on last night, Verizon said they would not send a tech out until 24 hours had passed of having commercial power (it was "policy"). They don't trust any generator power. When I called today, they said they can't get a tech out here until Monday at the earliest. Also, all our equipment (except the router) is from 2007.
swope1221
join:2008-08-26
Newtown, PA

swope1221

Hi rcl, I had a similar situation. We lost our power Monday night, BBU beeped for a while and stopped, I'm sure the battery ran out eventually. The power came back Wednesday night, 48 hours later. We had no phone, internet, tv. I tried to manually reboot the ont (pull power, disconnect battery, wait 1 min, reconnect battery then power). Still no service. Opened up the ont, no lights (power, video, moca, etc.).

Verizon sent out a tech today and the BBU itself went bad. As soon as he hooked up power to the new BBU the lights on the ont came on, and this was without a battery. He did give me new battery, but he told me the battery is mainly for phone only if power goes out.

He also said it could have been the ont, but he decided to try the BBU first since it was easier to replace and that was it. Hope that helps.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to rcljeep05

MVM

to rcljeep05
If you have AC power, leave the battery disconnected. Does it work then, or are the BBU lights still dim? If dim with no battery, then the power supply or the BBU is bad.

When the new battery was installed, how much charge time did it have before the generator power was pulled? New battery needs to charge to top it off. If the battery drained until the ONT shut off, that's not good for the battery.
rcljeep05
Cranford, NJ

rcljeep05

said by birdfeedr:

If you have AC power, leave the battery disconnected. Does it work then, or are the BBU lights still dim? If dim with no battery, then the power supply or the BBU is bad.

When the new battery was installed, how much charge time did it have before the generator power was pulled? New battery needs to charge to top it off. If the battery drained until the ONT shut off, that's not good for the battery.

With or without the battery, the lights are dim and no services work. It sounds like it's a bad BBU or ONT and there's not much that can be done about it until Verizon gets here. I guess the battery gave it that little extra voltage it needed to power on properly.

The battery was charging for a good 4 or 5 hours before power was pulled. I have a feeling it's not dead and the BBU is just having issues charging it or sensing any power that is left.

Do you know if the Auxiliary Power port on the BBU functions? Would plugging a 12V AC adapter into the auxiliary port do anything?

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

Auxiliary port needs 12VDC. The adapter size is non-standard. The closest size I've tested that works is a RadioShack Enercell type H, which is 1.3mm ID/3.4mm OD. This adapter plug fits loosely which means you have to wiggle it sometimes to make the connection.

I think the real OD is 4.0mm similar to type B, but that one has a 1.7mm ID which is worse. Easily available is a spec that takes me to RadioShack. I'm sure I can find one from Digikey or one of the other suppliers but I haven't looked into it yet.

A discharged battery will take nearly 2 days to become fully charged by the BBU. Your 4 or 5 hours may have been enough to bring a new off-the-shelf battery to 95%.
rcljeep05
Cranford, NJ

rcljeep05

A tech came out today, replaced the BBU, and everything works. He said a surge might have taken out the BBU and that it should work whether or not a battery is installed.
ZNYGUY
join:2005-01-06
Lake Grove, NY

ZNYGUY to swope1221

to swope1221
Same exactly problem here on Long Island. In fact, every single neighbor of mine that has Fios is having the same problem.

Everything went out on Tuesday and they can't get a truck to my house until Saturday.

Nice design.