share rss forum feed

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:1

Portable generators and decks

I had an interesting conversation with a friend about portable generators and their use around decks. I've been trying to research this for quite a while now, but have not found any hard info.

Question: Can a portable generator be used on a deck attached to a house if placement of the generator can still be 15-20+ feet away from any open windows, doors, etc.?

I can't seem to find a code that deals with that topic... which isn't too surprising I guess since this isn't a "permanent" installation. it seems that running a generator (portable or otherwise) under a deck with less than 4' of clearance overhead is prohibited (at least that's what I read). But other than that, I can't find anywhere that it's prohibited, even if some might consider it bad practice. Some homes (based on yard layout or lack of yard) might leave the deck as the only reasonable option to place a portable generator (hence our discussion). And fuel-type also plays a role I would think, as there is a risk of gasoline spillage on a deck, but there is no risk of spillage if a propane portable is used.

Interesting question. Anyone know what the deal is with this one?

UFGator

join:2005-08-14
Saint Cloud, FL

I can understand your confusion, googled the question and got nothing but crap back. As I'm in Fla. my knowledge of "yank" codes is limited. As far as I can tell, there really shouldn't be any legit reasons to prevent you from doing this. The only thing I can think of is some local BS fire reg, ie. you can't use a gas grill if you live in an apt. complex that has wood siding, etc., ran into that when I lived in Tn. for a few years. Never had that problem while I was going to school in Gainesville. Each locality seems to think it is all knowing and common sense doesn't mean shit, look at DC.......

Pher9999

join:2011-07-06
Carmel, NY
reply to SwedishRider

Only thing I can think of is the vibrations on the deck. around here everyone used them on driveways for the more solid ground. Some were under decks, and one in a rubbermaid garbage/storage bin.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden

said by Pher9999:

Only thing I can think of is the vibrations on the deck. around here everyone used them on driveways for the more solid ground.

You mean vibrations creating noise issues inside the house? Or the vibrations causing other problems?

Pher9999

join:2011-07-06
Carmel, NY

Both, noise, or shaking poor built decks apart. If you got a newish deck then I'd say it's your choice. But I've also found most service entrances are not near decks.

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to SwedishRider

We've got a deck and generator and my main reason for not wanting to run it on there is the noise. I couldn't imagine listening to a deck echo and amplify the generator noise. Should we need it, I plan to run it below the deck one the grass and chain it to a support post.

tmh

@verizon.net
reply to SwedishRider

I have my genny in a Rubbermaid storage box on my deck. I have the box bolted into the deck. One of bolts is an eyebolt, and I chain the genny to that inside the box.

When closed up, it looks just like a deckbox people use to store their outdoor furniture. When in use, I open the top and doors, connect the gencord to the twistlock inlet, and fire it up.

The deck is rather large, so the whole thing is about 25' from the kitchen door.

I have a soundproofed generator. It's rated at 58db at 21 ft. so I don't have much issue with noise. There is some vibration on the deck, but certainly nowhere near enough to shake it to pieces. It won't even shake my drink on the patio table.

I can hear the genny faintly inside the house. I actually like it that way. Since engine RPM is proportional to load, I can tell by ear if I'm close to overloading the genny as I switch loads.

I'm planning to have the deck rebuilt (it's more than 20 yrs old). When I do that, I'm replacing the storage box with a built-in enclosure for the genny. It will look like it's for storage, but there will be lovures so I can run the genny in the rain.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to itguy05

said by itguy05:

We've got a deck and generator and my main reason for not wanting to run it on there is the noise. I couldn't imagine listening to a deck echo and amplify the generator noise. Should we need it, I plan to run it below the deck one the grass and chain it to a support post.

When I first tested my generator in my shed (setup shed to accommodate a running generator), the vibrations from the generator made the shed act like a speaker. The humming was intense.

Then I put the generator on top of 6" cinder blocks. The vibrations stopped and now the generator was almost inaudible when the shed door is closed.

So ya, wood floors will amplify the vibration noise, but a lot of weight added in between the generator and the floor will nullify it.