spc
uniqs
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ

Re: [Hockey] Official~ NHL thread...........scores and highlites

As much as people are badmouthing the NHL right now, we all know the viewers will come back.

It's happened twice already. We're only pissed because we can't watch they hockey.... when it's on, its hard not to watch it.

The one thing I don't get is why they feel the need to lockout the players during negotiations. There's plenty of other union/employer's around that will keep trying to negotiate even after a contract expires. It doesn't escelate to a lockout (or a strike) unless negotiations really go south. I don't get why the owners are so eager to halt operations. (2 times in a row now).

As for people who bought scalped tickets. That's the way scalped tickets go. If the event gets cancelled your probably screwed. You're punishment for support scalpers/brokers
WNGFAN 1
join:2003-11-02
Leamington, ON

WNGFAN 1

said by zod5000:

As much as people are badmouthing the NHL right now, we all know the viewers will come back.

It's happened twice already. We're only pissed because we can't watch they hockey.... when it's on, its hard not to watch it.

I honestly haven't missed it a bit and much to my wife's delight I have made a commitment to not watch it for the entire year whether they play or not. Fans need to grow a pair and show the league and players this b.s. doesn't need to take place every time their contract expires.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction

Premium Member

I will watch the games when it comes back but they aren't getting any more of my money (tickets, apparel, Leafs TV subscription) for a good long while.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Why aren't they showing these games?

»www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey ··· ?cmp=rss
ZZZZZZZ

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Another great jr game last night.

»www.castanet.net/edition ··· tm#82972

fuck the NHL.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to WNGFAN 1

to WNGFAN 1

Re: [Hockey] Official~ NHL thread...........scores and highlites

said by WNGFAN 1:

said by zod5000:

I honestly haven't missed it a bit and much to my wife's delight I have made a commitment to not watch it for the entire year whether they play or not. Fans need to grow a pair and show the league and players this b.s. doesn't need to take place every time their contract expires.

I haven't missed it either. I actually like the longer gap. The NHL drags the playoffs out so long now, the off season only last for a few months. Which means it usually comes back before I'm ready to watch hockey again.

What I'm saying is that if it does come back on TV this year, its harder not to watch it, when its actually on. Opposed to when its not on, and you aren't missing anything.
zod5000

zod5000 to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ

Re: Why aren't they showing these games?

why aren't the Canadian channels showing more hockey from other leagues? ESPN3 in the US picked up KHL games (which I'd love to watch right now). Sportsnet plays some AHL games on Sat night, but that's about it.

Surely it can't be that hard to buy the rights to some games from other leagues and put them on the air. Without hockey we have 4 sports channels (tsn,tsn2, sportsnet, sportsnet one) with nothing to air. There's football on Thurs/Sun/Mon (mostly on Sunday) and that's it. I would think the sports channels would be eager to find some content to air.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal

Mod

said by zod5000:

Surely it can't be that hard to buy the rights to some games from other leagues and put them on the air. Without hockey we have 4 sports channels (tsn,tsn2, sportsnet, sportsnet one) with nothing to air. There's football on Thurs/Sun/Mon (mostly on Sunday) and that's it. I would think the sports channels would be eager to find some content to air.

I would think that the problem would be (at least) threefold:

1) finding content that people would be interested in watching,
2) getting rights to content that doesn't already have the rights signed for in some other way,
3) getting a deal that is flexible so the network can walk away at any time when the NHL comes back.

I've watched some feeds from AHL games, and the production is around the level that Rogers 22 (local cableco station) does for OHL games -- that is to say, pretty amateurish. If the big networks were to want to air AHL games, they'd have to ramp up the production quality a fair bit before it would be palatable to the average Joe SixPack hockey fan, and that costs a lot of money. The teams are also not in the big centres where the networks are located (exceptions: Toronto Marlies, Hamilton Bulldogs), and even when they are they don't always draw that well from the hometown fanbase (eg/ Marlies have only sold out one game this season) so there's a big question as to whether the content would be of interest and worth the investment.

Sportsnet used to do an "OHL game of the week" but I'm not sure if they still do.

I too am surprised that there isn't some sort of work to get live AHL/OHL/KHL hockey on Canadian sports channels, but I imagine the work to get it there is substantial and until the season is cancelled, there is little appetite to do it when the lockout could end at any time.
WNGFAN 1
join:2003-11-02
Leamington, ON

WNGFAN 1 to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ

Re: Another great jr game last night.