spc
Search similar:

uniqs

jhacker
join:2001-12-11
Peoria, IL

jhacker

Still Won't Stop Many

This database may help to stop phones from being reactivated on a cellular account. However, can't all smartphones still be used on a wi-fi network, almost like a regular smartphone? My son's iPhone was stolen last year, and the thief sold it right away to make a quick buck. The buyer was able to use wi-fi, even though he couldn't activate the phone with Sprint. Apple would not totally deactivate the iPhone, so essentially he could use it with Google Voice without a problem.

buddahbless
join:2005-03-21
Premium

buddahbless

Jhacker I kind of agree with you it will only stop phones form being reactivated. The crooks will just circumnavigate the system how? Cant sell the entire phone because the IMEI is bad? Do the same thing they do with cars, disassemble it and sell it for parts on craigslist or ebay.

Just as much is made in repairs as there is in straight sales..

"You can build a better mouse trap but the mouse will just get smarter"

thender
Screen tycoon
Premium Member
join:2009-01-01
Brooklyn, NY

thender to jhacker

Premium Member

to jhacker
Most non nerds do not buy a cellular phone to use it over wifi with google voice.

"Hey, I'm sorry, I'm walking to the hallway to throw the garbage out, and since I don't pay for phone service I'm about to be cut off, I will call you when back in range" is just not something the average dude does.