join:2012-11-02

1 edit

amendolaro

[Wi-Fi] Looking for Docsis 3.0 Speed Capable Wireless Router

ExoticFish
join:2008-08-31
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

What router are you currently using ? I have the Asus RT-N66U and am able to get well above those speeds.

bradyr
YCCD - Network Operations
Premium Member
join:2008-10-27
Sonora, CA

bradyr to amendolaro

Premium Member

to amendolaro
you can have a top-end wireless-n router and get piss-poor wireless speeds if your wlan is not configured correctly.

how is your wireless network configured, currently? are you using WPA2-AES, with WMM enabled? Mixed mode(N and G) or N only?
amendolaro

amendolaro to ExoticFish

to ExoticFish
im currently using a asus rt-n16 with tomato - what setings need to be changed?
amendolaro

amendolaro to bradyr

to bradyr
i will have to check, can you advise of what settings to use and i will change to them? also is a asus rt-n16 capable of these speeds?

Ripper
Premium Member
join:2002-02-07
Lake Worth, FL

Ripper to amendolaro

Premium Member

to amendolaro
Check out this great site for router reviews »www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· rts/view

bradyr
Premium Member
Sonora, CA
(Software) pfSense
Netgear CM1200
Ubiquiti UAP-AC-HD

bradyr to amendolaro

Premium Member

to amendolaro
asus rt-n16 router is pretty bad-ass, i use one, too. you can configure it for wireless-n speeds of up to 144Mbps no problem. (300Mbps is iffy on the rt-n16, in my humble opinion. you have to dick around with the channel width)

i run dd-wrt on mine, but regardless of firmware (stock, tomato or dd-wrt) you should be able to configure your wlan to get proper wireless-n speeds.

again, verify your WLAN is using WPA2-AES for security, that WMM is enabled and that you're either in wireless-N only (assuming you're only connecting wireless-n clients). Verify the basic stuff first, and that you've got a strong signal (obviously if you're hanging on by a thread of signal, it will be at a reduced speed).

don't go spending money on a new router just yet... the rt-n16 is a proven platform, even though it's not dual band.
bradyr

bradyr

Premium Member

also remember, real world speeds vs your connected wireless speed. you'll probably see around 60% (best case).

so if you're connected, solidly, at 144Mbps, you'll probably see a real-world throughput of up to ~85Mbps.

if you were connected at 300Mbps, you'll likely see a real world throughput of ~150Mbps (give or take).
Expand your moderator at work
bradyr

bradyr

Premium Member

Re: [Wi-Fi] Looking for Docsis 3.0 Speed Capable Wireless Router

yes, you should be able to max out that 60Mbps over wifi (wireless-n)... just worry about getting your wireless settings set right on the router, for now.. if you think they are set correctly but you're still getting piss-poor throughput, then i would look at other settings such as QoS.

if when you're testing your wired speeds (and you're maxing out your connection), you're connected through the router, then you know you've at least got the router correctly connected to your modem..
ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish to Anon

to Anon
Try changing your router channel and channel bandwidth to 40MHz.

bradyr
Premium Member
Sonora, CA

bradyr

Premium Member

I think he should verify his security settings are WPA2-PSK/AES, that he's in wireless-n mode and has WMM enabled before changing the channel width.

changing the wifi channel is a good idea if he's in a crowded area.
amendolaro

amendolaro

I know for sure I have WPA2 just don't know if aes or psk

bradyr
Premium Member
Sonora, CA

bradyr

Premium Member

if it's WPA2 and you have to enter a password to connect, it's more than likely WPA2-psk (pre shared key), as far as AES, your options are AES or TKIP..

AES is what you want.
bradyr

bradyr to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon

try changing the channel width back to 20Mhz for kicks. also another simple thing to try is updating your wifi drivers on your laptop (again, just for kicks)..

verify that WMM is enabled (not sure where that is in tomato config), and verify you arent doing any sort of QoS/traffic shaping on your router.

you'll have to fart around with it and test it as you go, it'll be a process so stick with it and i wouldnt just dump money into a new router unless you feel it's absolutely necessary.

I can't garauntee anything but i can say that the rt-n16 router is capable of sustained wireless speeds a hell of a lot higher than 18Mbps. my source on that is the fact that I have the same router and I've done iperf tests up around 85Mbps going over wireless-n with that router, using a 20Mhz channel bandwidth.
amendolaro

2 edits

amendolaro to bradyr

to bradyr

ExoticFish
Zebulon, NC

ExoticFish

The second router you posted is pretty old. If you need performance, you need a high end router and you'll need to spend about $150 to get it. The second router you posted and your current router are basically the same.