Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer to Threatco

Premium Member

to Threatco

Re: [Raiding] Mean People Suck

said by Threatco:

You CANT change it, you NEED to get used to it. Wasting 5 mins to kick 1/25th of the assholes in the group is a waste of time.

Doing something about it... or trying... changes the experience at least for me.
Threatco
join:2011-04-19
Moncton, NB

Threatco

I can't say it doesen't change it for you. But I still don't think kicking based on a moral position is a good idea.

Maybe I don't understand the kind of guy you mean.

My problem is people will kick people for any reason. All it takes is someone saying "Everyone kick %t for reason x,y,z" and 90% of the time he get's kicked, even if the reason is complete BS. People just want to get it over with. And if vote kicking might help, they do it. They don't investigate.

If someone is breaking TOS, report em. But making someone lose an hour because you don't like what they say is harsh, from your perspective it's warrented but your perspective is singular and maybe under review it really wasn't.

That's why I think it's best to just let them be. /ignore /salute or find the ? at the bottom right of your screen and open a ticket. But kicking should be only for people that are causing wipes or afking.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

said by Threatco:

All it takes is someone saying "Everyone kick %t for reason x,y,z" and 90% of the time he get's kicked, even if the reason is complete BS. People just want to get it over with. And if vote kicking might help, they do it. They don't investigate.

It takes a bit to kick someone, yes. That's why the image says to call them out in /rsay. Once you've attempted to call attention to the douchebag, he/she will have 1 of 2 options.. either be a mature person, or go full-retard. Once they go full retard, getting the VTK is easy. No one should have to put up with their garbage. That's what their vent and /g is for. They can go away bragging about how they trolled the LFR and got kick for whatever reason they want to make up so they seem like real tough guys to their guild... I don't care. VTK gives them their street cred.
Cptbeatstix
join:2011-12-21
Carrollton, TX

Cptbeatstix

I hate to say this or even be the one to say it, but you need to have tough skin to play with the internets. Trolling is trolling and that's why us old schoolers (most of us anyway) go by the saying "Don't feed the troll". 9 times out of 10 they will actually shut up if you just ignore them. Sometimes its just someone having a bad day. I tend to have a bad temper and hate seeing someone being bashed as a "bad player". I just switch to the loot window and roll on. LFR is a face roll anyway and you really just need 1 tank lol. Not for all bosses, but at least the first 5....

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

It's not like there isn't a huge gap between the kind of asshattery being attacked by myself and theDailyBlink and the "ignore people just having a bad day" shenanigans. We aren't talking about a dental-floss thin line here.

When someone is grossly out of line, speak the hell up, and then VTK. We aren't talking about being thin-skinned here folks; we are talking about having the nerve to speak out against an asshole. So, go on... hide your head in the sand... or allow abuse so that you can abuse in-turn when you feel the need... and call that "having a thick skin" or hide behind your "LFR is srs" bullshit rhetoric. I'm not talking about crumbling just because someone said "man the dps is low" or "quit failing to stupid crap... I can't heal stupid".

I'm talking about abusive behavior. The OP is talking about abusive behavior. If you can't handle the responsibility of doing the right thing at the right time, then shut the hell up and let someone else take your place. Cowards hide behind the terminal when abuse is taking place. Be a coward... and then tell the abused they should have had thicker skin. Defend the rights of the abusers, and let the abused hurt in silence. I'll speak up. I'll VTK. I'll do what's right when you can't be bothered by it. Have a great day.

stonhinge
Premium Member
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS

stonhinge

Premium Member

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

If someone is being abusive, they need to be called out. Mainly because the only way to have a decent community is to enforce standards of behavior. We can do that through the VTK, /ignore, and reporting players (if warranted). (Ignores have saved realms with names since shortly after Dungeon Finder, and the system won't put you in a group with that person. Sadly, it does not ignore the account.) The only way to clear out the assholes is to call them out and VTK and/or /ignore.

You can always hope that that one asshole ends up in his next LFR with 24 other people just like him. You can also hope they also get the tanks in full blue PvP gear and healers in their DPS set with all that tasty hit for healing. Oh, and the plate dps in tank spec/gear so that he can get tank drops. In greens. (That was last night. He didn't last long.)

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus to Cptbeatstix

Premium Member

to Cptbeatstix
said by Cptbeatstix:

I hate to say this or even be the one to say it, but you need to have tough skin to play with the internets. Trolling is trolling and that's why us old schoolers (most of us anyway) go by the saying "Don't feed the troll". 9 times out of 10 they will actually shut up if you just ignore them.

As a professional troll, I would say that any the entire purpose of a troll is to get a response. If you engage a troll with the expectation of having a discussion or even an argument, you're going to walk away frustrated.

The internet is full of amateur trolls who fire off random insults or grief groups or whatever. As a professional troll, my job is to warrant a reaction no matter hard someone attempts to ignore it. I place them in a position where they really can't ignore it.

But the rest of these amateur trolls are entirely made ineffective by having zero responses made. They do give up. Even if they don't give up, their dribble becomes less and less effective.

I will occasionally troll random people lightly, but now I am usually aggressive against people who I perceive are wrong. I hit the post more than I would hit the poster. It's why people like Savious are allowed to exist on this website. He wised up.

The light-hearted trolling I do is when I tell a PUG in a 5-man to drop a food table and he's not a mage and there's no other mage in the group. I then proceed to tell him to stop being a jerk when he refuses and tell him to read up on icy veins on how to properly spec in to tables.
Exodus

Exodus to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
said by Immer:

Be a coward... and then tell the abused they should have had thicker skin. Defend the rights of the abusers, and let the abused hurt in silence. I'll speak up. I'll VTK. I'll do what's right when you can't be bothered by it. Have a great day.

If there is something in LFR that can cause a person to think that they have been victimized in any traumatic manner, then that is a clear definition of being thin-skinned. Whether or not you respond is irrelevant at this point. If you're mentally harmed by anything that comes out of LFR, you've probably got some major issues to address outside of LFR.

There's no problem in speaking up, but the #1 rule of arguing on the Internet (aside from the whole arguing/retard meme) is not to convince your opponent that they are wrong, but to convince the audience that your opponent is wrong.

If you're going to respond, construct it in a manner that the rest of the raid will agree with you and then use it to drive that vote kick. You need that majority, right? Get those people as as angry as you are and have them join you in a vote kick.

We have an entire forum dedicated to the manipulation and intentional lying of other individuals. It's called Pub Games. When you master the art of manipulating an entire group of 10, 15, 20+ people into siding with you, those skills can work anywhere.
Expand your moderator at work

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

Re: [Raiding] Mean People Suck

said by Exodus:

said by Immer:

Be a coward... and then tell the abused they should have had thicker skin. Defend the rights of the abusers, and let the abused hurt in silence. I'll speak up. I'll VTK. I'll do what's right when you can't be bothered by it. Have a great day.

If there is something in LFR that can cause a person to think that they have been victimized in any traumatic manner, then that is a clear definition of being thin-skinned. Whether or not you respond is irrelevant at this point.

You should probably read up a bit. »www.cyberbullying.us/
said by Exodus:

said by stonhinge:

Hitler killed millions of jews because no one spoke back to him in LFR when he was complaining about shitty tanks.

That was completely out of line. Even for you.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

Explain.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

said by Exodus:

Explain.

it wasn't enough to minimize the concerns of the OP by asserting that there was no way anyone should feel victimized by anything that happens in LFR (as if you had the frame of reference to make such an assertion)... you had to double-down by invoking the Holocaust... just to declare a win on the internet. That was completely out of line.

I have an especially low bar for those who take pride in being horrible to others, and claim to be serving some greater good in doing so... but even for you, man... invoking the Holocaust to win an argument here is a new low in my view.

You didn't need me to explain that, though... but perhaps someone else wanted one.
Cptbeatstix
join:2011-12-21
Carrollton, TX

Cptbeatstix to Anon

to Anon
said by Exodus:

said by stonhinge:

Hitler killed millions of jews because no one spoke back to him in LFR when he was complaining about shitty tanks.

I agree with Immer with this being way out of line. This is a discussion, not a troll session. Apparently you don't want to be like all the other adults on here and even the more mature teenagers and have a civil conversation. That comment was not only offensive, but you never know who may actually be jewish on here.

I digress. Cyberbullying I agree is out of control and I definitely will stand by people who are bullying. Trolling is one thing that can be ignored. But out right distasteful comments like "I hope your house burns down with you in it." is unacceptable.

Archivis, I believe you owe an apology for the hitler comment.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

2 recommendations

Exodus to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
I guess it proves my point. I don't particularly care how you feel about my post. It's not like you're actually offended. You're offended because that's what you think should happen. You're offended because I said something inappropriate. You didn't finish your post with tears, or shaking fists. You're offended in the same manner that people were offended when Tom Hanks accidentally dropped the F-bomb on Good Morning America.

Was my post inappropriate? Of course. Am I going to apologize? No, I'm making a point about developing thick skin with people on the Internet.
Exodus

1 recommendation

Exodus to Cptbeatstix

Premium Member

to Cptbeatstix
said by Cptbeatstix:

Archivis, I believe you owe

Who are you? I don't owe some random Internet stranger of zero signifance and 42 posts anything.

Lothario
join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON

Lothario to Anon

to Anon
Actually the Panzer tanks were technological marvels in their day.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
Wow dude, you need to lay off the white-knighting.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
said by Immer:

I didn't realize you were a child. At least, that's what the About page seems to feel its victims are.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

said by Exodus:

said by Immer:

I didn't realize you were a child. At least, that's what the About page seems to feel its victims are.

yeah man... you nailed that one. bravo.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

So, this goes back to my point. There's a great energy in preventing cyber victims amongst children because they're fragile. At some point, children turn into adults and they learn how to develop thicker skin. Silly remarks don't offend people.

If I were to come into your face, say something personal about your family member or yourself, that's a reason to get offended. I'm not even within a reasonable driving distance to you, never met you, yet you expend great energy in being offended by what I say.

You know what the absurd thing is? You're shielding people who are more delicate than yourself. Do these people function normally in real life? Do they hold down jobs? Can they raise a family? Can they properly socialize outside of their desk?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
said by Exodus:

If there is something in LFR that can cause a person to think that they have been victimized in any traumatic manner, then that is a clear definition of being thin-skinned.

/thread

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
Adults are not the only ones playing this game. They aren't the only ones in LFR. This thread is not about "silly remarks"... its about abuse. You fail to comprehend that concept, as do your fanboys. You've somehow convinced yourself that I am thin skinned, and somehow delicate. You are the moral equivalent to the Fat Bastard character in Austin Powers... rubbing greasy chicken on yourself declaring you are "dead sexy"... real people see right through that garbage.

Now, Krisnatharok See Profile... /thread.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

My neck looks like a vagina.
Exodus

1 recommendation

Exodus

Premium Member

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· w5XyVQfY

stonhinge
Premium Member
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS

1 recommendation

stonhinge to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
To me, it's a lot less about being thick/thin-skinned, and more about not tolerating assholes. As a guild-master/raid co-leader, I've noticed that tolerating loutish behavior tends to surround you with louts - mostly because everyone who doesn't like it has left.

Yes, it's a social game, but that doesn't mean I have to socialize with everyone.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive to Exodus

Premium Member

to Exodus
said by Exodus:

My neck looks like a vagina.

You's a sexy bitch.

Arthritis
join:2011-10-20
Canada

1 recommendation

Arthritis to Exodus

to Exodus
said by Exodus:

Was my post inappropriate? Of course. Am I going to apologize? No, I'm making a point about developing thick skin with people on the Internet.

You would have proved your point a lot better if you had of not responded at all, or felt the need to respond.

The fact that you do feel this need means perhaps you should work on developing your own thick skin with people on the internet questioning your morals and motives.

I'll leave you with this...

"To vilify a great man is the readiest way in which a little man can himself attain greatness." - Edgar Allan Poe

I've watched you vilify man a great man on these boards, and it's really quite sad. I genuinely feel sorry for you on many levels, as your words are most often a cry for help and classic narcissism.

I will resist further comments.

In keeping with Poe, "Nevermore..."
Jodokast
join:2012-05-10

Jodokast to Immer

to Immer
+1
Jodokast

Jodokast to Immer

to Immer
this im 100% in agreement with.
Jodokast

Jodokast to Exodus

to Exodus
you have offended me personally by your tasteless comment. how you "troll" is not excusable behavior and there are punishments for saying such offensive language and attitude. Since you say you dont care how much you offend others, i wonder why a moderator hasnt taken action against you.